X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sailon1
    • Aug 2017

Turns over but won’t start

Engine has run flawlessly from Toledo, Ohio to North Carolina. But after sitting at Marina here for several weeks now it will not start. How do I check fuel flow? How do I check electrical system? Finally, how to crank engine directly from battery rather than from the start button in the cockpit? Your responses are greatly appreciated!
  • Golfdad75
    • Sep 2014

Get a remote starter. I would first be sure I am getting spark to the coil. Take out the coils wire and lay it on the block and look for a good blue spark

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

As per Golfdsd75 get a remote start switch available at most any parts house and rather than hook it up when you need it just mount it permanently near the engine. A great tool to have close whenever you need it.

You can check for power at the coil with a volt meter by turning on the key and checking for voltage at the positive side of the coil. That will confirm voltage to the coil. If it shows voltage be sure to turn the key off as leaving it on for a short time can fry the coil. If you show voltage time to check the coil.

To check the coil pull the center wire out of the cap and get the end attached to the block with about a 1/4" or less gap between the wire and the block. Turn on the key and hit the "remote start switch" and look for a nice blue snappy spark. If the spark is yellowish the coil is weak or the ign may be needing points if so equipped. if no spark time to check the coil itself. with the center wire still mounted and the key on get a piece of wire and use it to ground the coil negative post Off/on if still no spark the coil is shot.

Do you have an electric or mechanical fuel pump. With the mechanical you can actuate it with the priming bail (a stiff wire half loop under the pump) by stroking it after a few strokes it should be pumping fuel to the carb. If you have an electric pump you should be able to hear it "ticking" which only confirms it's running. There also should be a OSPS switch with the electric pump and that will need to be jumped across the two posts to complete the circuit and allow electricity to get to the pump. All of this only confirms that the pump is capable of running but not pumping fuel. To know if you are actually pumping fuel you need a CHEAP fuel pressure gage mounted in front of the carb after all of the filters.

Did you look at the plugs? If they are wet it won't start even if everything else is OK. So do check them out.

AND remember anytime you are cranking the engine water is pumping into the exhaust and not out because there is no exhaust pressure. This excess water can back up into the engine through an open exhaust valve and get things wet and no start.

Both the pressure gage and the remote start switch are a good idea for now and any future diagnostics. First things I did to my boat when I bought it before ever taking it out.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

I have a permanent starter button near the engine, it is hugely useful.
        If the engine will start and run on a shot of ether, the problem is the fuel.
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

• Sailon1
          • Aug 2017

Thanks to all for very useful information. Remote starter has been ordered and troubleshooting will start ASAP!

Comment

Working...
          X