• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Cooling system reminder

If you were ever considering FWC, please keep in mind your RWC engine is slowly rusting to death every day, every month, every year. The only way to arrest this deterioration is with anti-freeze cooling.

What prompted me to post this is I just learned the viable blocks for rebuilding that are returned to MMI as cores has fallen to roughly 50%.

Time marches on relentlessly.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Good reminder to drag all my FWC stuff out and get it working correctly.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

Joe, If I could cobble something together successfully, anyone can do it. I completed my mark I FWC in about 2014..I ran with no t-stat and the undersized HX for years (I've always been a gauge watcher so no issue there with it running 185-190°F), and finally got the larger HX in 2020 (Mark II) and then I was able to put the t-stat back in and it settled in nicely about 165°F.

I do highly recommend upsizing the side plate like Neil and I did to 1/2" NPT and a 3/4" coolant inlet hose. It seemed to help a lot with flow volume. Everything else was 5/8" hose. One of the things I fought with the larger SenDure HX was the inlet from the head was on the opposite side, so it liked to kink the hose. On MkI with the gold cap, it was a much cleaner install.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by sastanley; 11-18-2023, 12:37 AM.
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• Golfdad75
        • Sep 2014

Heat exchanger

Can you tell me where you got your Mark 2 heat exchanger? It appears I have to get another.

Comment

• Sailorsb
          Frequent Contributor
          • Oct 2023

RWC when only in the Great Lakes

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
          If you were ever considering FWC, please keep in mind your RWC engine is slowly rusting to death every day, every month, every year. The only way to arrest this deterioration is with anti-freeze cooling.

What prompted me to post this is I just learned the viable blocks for rebuilding that are returned to MMI as cores has fallen to roughly 50%.

Time marches on relentlessly.
          We sail / motor only in the wonderful fresh water of Lake Huron and the St Clair river. Is converting to FWC as necessary for us.

Steve Beeler
          C&C 35 Mk I with 2004 MMI short block.

Comment

• Al Schober
            Afourian MVP
            • Jul 2009

The other advantage of glycol cooling is that you don't have to worry about winterizing the engine! This will appeal to those in Northern climes.
            Only disadvantage is that you need a system free of leaks. If you're leaking raw water, no big deal as there's plenty more. If you're leaking glycol, it's like leaking blood - you'll soon run out!

Comment

• edwardc
              Afourian MVP
              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Sailorsb View Post
              We sail / motor only in the wonderful fresh water of Lake Huron and the St Clair river. Is converting to FWC as necessary for us.

Steve Beeler
              C&C 35 Mk I with 2004 MMI short block.
              Not quite as necessary, but still beneficial.

Whenever you cool directly with "raw" water (fresh or salt), you ingest a lot of microscopic organic matter into the hot engine. These organisms die in the heat and plate out onto the hot surfaces, forming a thick tar-like coating which reduces cooling efficiency and eventually obstructs the cooling passages.
              @(^.^)@ Ed
              1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
              with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

Also, "fresh lake water" is still far short of pure clean water. It contains some minerals which make it an electrolyte though not nearly so much as salt water. We have shown that even antifreeze has very, very slight electrochemical properties - but it is still the best you can do.

Comment

Working...
                X