X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smp
    • Dec 2011

My Fuel System - old gas, lines, filters

Hi all. I'm the proud new owner of a 1980 C&C 32! It's got an atomic 4 of course

Anyway, the seller told me that the gas is two years old. The motor runs fine, I motored for an hour or two on the weekend and no hiccups. That being said, I'm nervous about it. There is a regular old fuel filter that you'd find at the auto parts store and some kind of a fuel/water separator, I think. I'm including pictures. Fuel lines need to be replaced including the fill hose, which is cracked with age and no doubt shedding "stuff" into the fuel (I would imagine anyway, the outside of the hose is cracked and brittle, I bet the inside is the same).

There is a copper line from the fuel tank to the filters. Can I replace this with standard rubber fuel hose? 5/8 is the correct size I think?

How can I empty the fuel tank? Please see the pictures. I was thinking about doing it when I change the fuel fill hose, that would give me access to the tank via the fitting. I could use my oil extractor pump to suck it all out. Workable? Or is there a better solution? I was thinking even using a hand primer bulb style thing as a temporary measure.

pics:

Behold!
    (you can make out the cheapo inline filter at the top right)

Fuel/Water separator (I think):

Top of gas tank with fittings, copper fuel line (can I replace? Should I?):

Let me know what you guys think. The tank is over half full, maybe as much as 3/4 full. I don't have a container large enough to hold all that fuel and I'm not sure when I'll have the new fill hose.

I'm thinking about ordering the polishing filter kit (do I need the whole kit, or is the filter enough?), the Racor filter and new fuel lines. I kind of want to purge the gas tank before I do that so I start with a clean slate right across the board but I'm thinking that getting good filters on is priority number one!

Thanks for any and all input! This is an amazing forum.

I have another thread about my super long exhaust hose here.
    Last edited by smp; 05-11-2012, 01:09 PM.
    -Steve

Suhana, C&C 32
    Toronto
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Ask around for the local fuel cleaners/tank polishers
    Disposing of that much gas would be a huge PITA.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• smp
      • Dec 2011

I thought fuel polishers were things you added to the fuel line .. are you talking about hiring someone?

Edit: also another question. I couldn't make out the markings on the fuel fill hose, is there a standard size? To my eye it looks like 1.5", but I'm not sure.
      Last edited by smp; 05-11-2012, 02:01 PM.
      -Steve

Suhana, C&C 32
      Toronto

Comment

• msmith10
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2006

I think what Joe is referring to is that some marinas have a system that will pump the fuel out of the tank, pass it through a series of filters, then return it to the tank.
        An alternative is just to keep a generous supply of filters so you can change them frequently until you're confident the fuel has been used up.
        If you do this, I'd change that water separator you have now for a Racor in addition to a final polishing filter (see the Moyer catalog).
        Also, i don't believe the plastic filter that's on there now is approved for use with gasoline on a boat.
        The only reason to change out your copper line is that they can develop cracks over the years from vibration.
        Mark Smith
        1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

• wmmulvey
          • Apr 2011

Fuel System

I would absolutely change all the fuel lines and add, as suggested, a RACOR FUEL/WATER SEPARATER FILTER.

Shop around for prices. They vary greatly. I bought a used one on E-Bay for $50.00 plus shipping.

Make sure that you only purchase COAST GUARD APPROVED MARINE FUEL LINES.

Auto fuel lines are not approved.

Regards

Bill

Comment

• smp
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by wmmulvey View Post

Auto fuel lines are not approved.
            Yeah, that's what my surveyor told me. I have ordered the racor and inline kit from Moyer, as well as a new impeller and some other doo-dads. I'm going to west marine after work today to get a new inline filter in the interim. They are cheap and I can replace it in a minute. It's at least something until the order ships. I'm in Canada so that'll take longer than I care to wait to go sailing.
            -Steve

Suhana, C&C 32
            Toronto

Comment

• Mo
              Afourian MVP
              • Jun 2007

My 2 cents.

SMP, Congrats on the new boat.

If it was me: Keep the copper line, put in a water separator if you don't have one (if you do clean it out and change the filter). New rubber lines. New inline filter just before the electric fuel pump.

If it ran, the fuel is burning so don't add more. I'd start the engine, monitor the temp /gauges, and putter around the boat doing needed work etc. and burn it off. There is a possibility that there is debris in the bottom of the tank.

In my experience, there is no way to get all the debris out of the tank unless you remove the tank and do it manually. You will find if the problem exists on your first "sloppy" day where the boat is tossed by swell and waves...and your engine quits due to carb and or fuel filter blockages. Yes, you can be pretty much guaranteed that some dirt will make it past the filters.

Id burn that tank, new fuel and filters immediately following burning it off, then fill with new gas (non ethenol), and add stabilizer as well...just in case you don't use all the gas this year. Stabilizer works if you put it in with new fuel...which the previous owner obviously did. Lastly, I'd keep a few extra filter elements and in line filters on the boat until you know where you are with it.

By the way, C&C 32 is a "smok'in boat" Built like the proverbial Brick Sht House and fast....yup, when you get used to it ...it is a fast boat and doesn't mind a bit of sea. I like them allot.

Have a good weekend and enjoy.

By the way: all good previous posts and I reiterated some of them.
              Last edited by Mo; 05-11-2012, 04:37 PM.
              Mo

"Odyssey"
              1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
              The optimist expects it to change.
              The realist adjusts the sails.
              ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• marthur
                Afourian MVP
                • Dec 2004

About your fuel: if you have motored for 2 hours, it probably doesn't need to be disposed of. By all means replace the old fuel lines and upgrade your filters, but I wouldn't assume that just because a tank of gas is older it is waste.

In general, the atomic 4 is not picky about the quality of its fuel--as long as it is clean. Both I and at least one other member of this board routinely burn up old fuel in our A4's.
                Mike

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Mar 2010

There seems to be some sort of bracket on the flywheel cover of your engine; can you tell us what that is?

Comment

• jhwelch
                    • Dec 2005

I bet that bracket is a guide for a hand crank.

Comment

• smp
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by jhwelch View Post
                      I bet that bracket is a guide for a hand crank.
                      Bingo!

Thanks for all the replies! I'll do my best. Currently waiting on my order from Moyer and I'll get to work. In the meantime I'm just running it as normal.

And regarding the C&C 32, YES, I love it!!! Got my first proper sail in on Friday night and she handled brilliantly.

edit: Oh yeah, back to the A4
                      It smokes some on start up. When we first fired it up after launch it was blue smoke which I attribute to the oil that was in the cylinders from winter storage. Since then it's just .. smoke (grey?) I guess for about a minute on start up. Seems to idle, run and start fine so should I be concerned? I'm guessing it's just the rich mixture from the choke?
                      Last edited by smp; 05-14-2012, 10:44 AM.
                      -Steve

Suhana, C&C 32
                      Toronto

Comment

• Bold Rascal
                        • Mar 2011

Congrat's SMP, Nice boat!

Welcome to the forum, several great folks here who's "just purchased a etc. etc. etc." and have had the same issues.

I'd also keep the metal fuel line and valves, replacing your rubber and filters as suggested.

If you suspect you have debris in the tank. I'd drain it down best I could and remove/clean it out thoroughly, You can filter and re-use your old gas.

Just would'nt want you chugging along way out there someplace thinking all is well and then to start experiencing engine /fuel problems.

Mike
                        Mike, Slower-Lower Eastern shore, MD
                        1973 Pearson 33
                        1967 Bristol 27
                        sigpic

Comment

• positron
                          • Sep 2011

Gas disposal is easy if you have a big old pickup truck. I pour a few gallons of old gas per tank through a paper filter into my pickup. At the rate it burns gas it will take anything. The inconvenience of my truck possibly running poorly is usually less than that of my boat motor failing when I need it most.

An outboard motor squeeze pump on a long hose works to empty my tank- I can usually get all but a couple pints out. My boat has the gas hose in the tank cut short, maybe 4" from the bottom, in an attempt to avoid crud on the bottom. It seems to work pretty well but makes it easier to run out of gas. Funny story there...

If any of your gas lines are at all brittle etc. it is worth replacing them all. Most older gas lines are not expecting ethanol and will shed little rubber crumbs into your carburator. Also make sure there is a manual shutoff valve in the gas line where you can easily reach it. I couldn't see one in your photos but it is a great peace of mind device.

Comment

• KenVoodoo
                            • Jun 2011

took me all last summer

I spent all last summer chasing dirt in the tank. Granted, my boat sat still for 8 years (with a full tank), but when I started running it, everytime I thought I had the problem fixed the engine would quit, and the filters would be full. In the end I got someone to come in and clean the tank in place. Watching the process was amazing....for 4 hours he pumped gas in and out of the tank, through a huge filter...changing filter paper every 10 minutes or so. Filter paper started out black, by the end you could barely tell it had been used.
                            Boat is an Alberg 35 (around 1967 vintage), tank probably cleaner than it has ever been. Once we did that, the engine ran great. I am looking forward to this summer...and not having to deal with at least that problem. If you are in Maine, I have the guys card.....
                            ken

Comment

Working...
                            X