• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 67c&ccorv
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2008

Dutton Engine Warning and Diagnostic System

Thought you might want to see the bracket I made for mine Neil...it will be mounted on the forward cockpit wall where you can see it while operating from the tiller.

Attached Files
  • BobMcD
    • Apr 2010

Very nicely done.

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Nice. Let's hope it never goes off, that's the goal.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• roadnsky
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2008

After a year of sitting on my shelf, I finally got off my arse and installed the CH and EWDS.
        One reason it’s taken me so long (other than pure laziness) was making the choices of where to mount the CH buzzer and the EWDS “Brain” as well as how and where to move the oil sensor cluster.
        That took the most time/thought investment.

Anyway, as my Grandfather always said, “The hardest part of any job is starting”
        So, I dove in and got started and just finished it this morning.

A big challenge was “sealing” all of the new fittings so I wasn’t leaking water or oil.
        Took some time getting it right with everything lining up, but finally success.
        The Oil “rig” was the hardest. I copied Neil's bulkhead setup a little and jury-rigged some on my own.

The little bit of re-wiring was also time-consuming.
        I wanted all wires out of the way and not just dropping down to the sensors.
        I installed a GROUND buss bar on the port side to get things cleaned up and not having extra ground wires.

Fired it up and tested all the fittings. No leaks and all of the warning lights and buzzer alarmed when they’re supposed to.
        Attached Files
        -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
        sigpic
        1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• azazzera
          • Aug 2014

Just a quick question. the volt warning set to 9 volts seems a bit low. would it be better to know if your voltage is droping befor it hits 9. dont know how this all works. just wondering.

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

I think they mean to measure coil voltage, which could be a bit lower than system voltage if a ballast resistor is in use.

Originally posted by azazzera View Post
            Just a quick question. the volt warning set to 9 volts seems a bit low. would it be better to know if your voltage is droping befor it hits 9. dont know how this all works. just wondering.
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Joe is correct.

During development many difficult decisions had to be made to produce a system that would be meaningful in all situations but still avoid false alarms. For the coil input voltage parameter we have engines with no resistors, engines with modest resistors and yet others with big resistors. We have engines with 13.8V alternator output, many with 14.0~14.2V output and at least one with 14.8V output. Then we have wiring system voltage drop, different on every boat and some within ABYC specs, many not. Given all that, pick a meaningful trip point voltage. You can see the difficulty.

Not wanting to take a stab at a voltage picked out of thin air we used the excellent voltage testing done by Thatch as an adjunct to the 'Rule of 2011', the electronic ignition study performed in that year. He tested and actually measured the coil input voltage point where engine performance degraded.

The EWDS gives a warning prior to failure (the 'EW' in the acronym) but the real benefit of the system is how it aids the troubleshooting process by telling you where the failure occurred (the 'D' in the acronym). Imagine your engine RPM drops unexpectedly. A glance at the EWDS display shows the coil light illuminated. You can focus your efforts on the ignition wiring and forget about everything else.
              Last edited by ndutton; 08-17-2015, 10:57 AM. Reason: added glossary links
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California

Comment

• toddster
                • Aug 2011

I got the temp/oil/flow sensor package installed but still saving my nickles for the EWDS. It did already alert me to a temperature problem last month. (Disintegrated HX cap/loss of fluid.)

In another thread, someone was showing how he rigged up an indoor-outdoor thermometer to to give him a cockpit reading of his stuffing box/packing nut temperature. Wow. I was perfectly content with not knowing that parameter... until now :roll eyes:

(Autocorrect tells me that I'm saving my pickles. That seems really weird...)

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                  Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                  • Nov 2008

Originally posted by toddster View Post
                  I got the temp/oil/flow sensor package installed but still saving my nickles for the EWDS. It did already alert me to a temperature problem last month. (Disintegrated HX cap/loss of fluid.)
                  (Autocorrect tells me that I'm saving my pickles. That seems really weird...)
                  S\B nickels.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Mar 2010

Something about the "coil" warning feature doesn't quite sit right with me. As I understand it the system gives warning when voltage at coil+ drops below 9 volts. If that is so, then what is really being monitored is the ignition delivery to coil +, not the coil itself.

Comment

• ndutton
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
                      then what is really being monitored is the ignition delivery to coil +, not the coil itself.
                      That's correct Hanley, just like the fuel pressure monitor. Without sufficient fuel pressure the carb doesn't stand a chance of proper operation. Without sufficient voltage, the healthiest coil in the world won't function properly. Nobody ever suggested we were monitoring coil function. I'm glad you mentioned it so we could clear up any misconceptions.

Please remember that knowing what isn't a problem can be as valuable as what is. If you had an unexpected RPM reduction and none of the EWDS lights illuminated you would know you had sufficient voltage to the coil and sufficient fuel pressure to the carb. You don't need to waste time investigating those systems.
                      Neil
                      1977 Catalina 30
                      San Pedro, California

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Mar 2010

The EWDS therefore is only as good as the operator's knowledge of systems. If the "coil" alarm is triggered what is really be said is that insufficient voltage is being delivered to coil+. It is the operator's duty to troubleshoot back to the ignition or OPSS or even beyond. As for fuel pressure, the system only advises of low pressure at the carb, but many problems lie downstream especially at the main jet. Only the fuel ratio gauge can detect that. The temp feature can prevent an overheating event. Check. The flow feature can prevent a disaster in the water lock or exhaust hose. Double check. The oil feature is too late for me; if pressure is below 7 psi my OPSS shuts the engine down pronto. The EWDS system coupled with operator knowledge is definitely a winner

Comment

• ndutton
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

The EWDS therefore is only as good as the operator's knowledge of systems.
                          I'd say correct again. It's there to provide information to the operator to aid him/her in a logical troubleshooting strategy. It doesn't do the troubleshooting for you.

In simpler words, it helps reduce the guessing.
                          Last edited by ndutton; 08-18-2015, 01:09 AM.
                          Neil
                          1977 Catalina 30
                          San Pedro, California

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                            I'd say correct again. It's there to provide information to the operator to point him/her in a logical troubleshooting strategy. It doesn't do the troubleshooting for you.

In simpler words, it helps reduce the guessing.
                            In the case of the flow and temp functions it does more; it provides a timely wake up to prevent expensive eventualities.

Comment

• ndutton
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2009

In the case of the flow and temp functions it does more; it provides a timely wake up to prevent expensive eventualities.
                              True, but I thought we were discussing a parameter that didn't sit right with you. I was trying to address your concern specifically.
                              Something about the "coil" warning feature doesn't quite sit right with me.
                              Neil
                              1977 Catalina 30
                              San Pedro, California

Comment

Working...
                              X