Anyone still using electric coolant pumps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Anyone still using electric coolant pumps?

I have been staring at my collection of FWC stuff and thinking about giving it another go. Included in the pile is two electric pumps.
    Is anyone still using electric pumps? If so, what kind?
    Last edited by joe_db; 11-14-2023, 03:50 PM.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Joe, a bit surprised with this post as you are also trying to get more charging capability.

Check out some of the automotive after market hot rod suppliers like Summit Racing, Jegs etc. They have many inline pumps available and most should be good quality. They even have some that are engine specific that mount just like the crank driven pumps.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

I'm pumping electrically, 2 - Johnson CM30P7-1 pumps in series. They have no problem pumping through the engine, the new MMI dual action thermostat, the HX and a long loop up to the V berth mounted water heater and back. 5/8" hose everywhere except from the pumps to the engine side plate, that one is 3/4". I also enlarged the sideplate Tee from 3/8" NPT to 1/2" including the diverter cap inside the plate. When choosing a pump, be sure to watch the operating temperature range + a decent overage (margin of safety).

Dave's comment is interesting though. If you're trying to maximize your charging potential, why are you adding load that can be otherwise done mechanically? It speaks to my engine driven refrigeration compressor comment in the other thread too.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

When I sold my boat, I was still on the original Johnson CM30P7-1 pump. That was the single best thing I ever did to that motor, and that particular pump required zero maintenance and never gave me a lick of trouble. The draw was just a couple amps..I think I had a 3amp inline fuse, and ran it right in the ignition circuit.

I copy-catted what Neil did since my pump was the same 3/4" out and 5/8" in, except I wasn't heating any water. Adding hot pressure water was the next project if someone did not hand me a check, but my system would have been simpler than Neil's.

Anyway, I never had any trouble with that system except I had an undersized HX originally, but I was able to upsize to a unit that actually fit in the engine area better from Josh at Anchors & Oars marine salvage over there near you in Grasonville.

I originally had some garbage ebay backup pump, and ultimately decided that a few select pieces of hoses would allow me to either use the mech pump and switch back to RWC, or if that failed, a different hose route would use the electric pump to switch to RWC to get home, then rebuild at the dock and access to the shop. Hose and hose clamps are relatively easy in the field compared to rebuilding pumps.
        Last edited by sastanley; 11-14-2023, 09:39 PM.
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
          Afourian MVP
          • Mar 2010

I guess it comes down to an engineering question. How many amps does it take to drive the electric pump? How much horsepower does it take to drive the mechanical pump? Knowing the relationship of 25 amps to 1 hp our qualified engineers can figure it out.

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
            Joe, a bit surprised with this post as you are also trying to get more charging capability.

Check out some of the automotive after market hot rod suppliers like Summit Racing, Jegs etc. They have many inline pumps available and most should be good quality. They even have some that are engine specific that mount just like the crank driven pumps.

Dave Neptune
            If I do the big alternator on the front that takes the spot my mechanical pump will go.
            Speaking of that, I need to do a test fit of the mechanical FWC pump and see if I have all the bits, they have been in a box for a long time.
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

• W2ET
              Former Admin
              • Oct 2008

The spec on Shawn's pump says it draws 27 watts. That's all but zero in HP terms. The engine would never know that load was present.

Bill
              Last edited by W2ET; 11-15-2023, 08:29 AM.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

Originally posted by W2ET View Post
                The spec on Shawn's pump says it draws 27 watts. That's all but zero in HP terms. The engine would never know that load was present.

Bill
                How about the mechanical pump?

Comment

Working...
                X