X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

Since we now see that you have electronic ignition the dwell issue is settled. It is fixed maybe around 55 degrees which is way more than the points type ignition. It also means that the voltage at coil+ is even more important to know since that EI dwell is pushing a stronger belt thru that coil. Resistance is even more mandatory (if you'll pardon the expression).

Comment

• stranded-sailor
      • Nov 2023

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
      Since we now see that you have electronic ignition the dwell issue is settled. It is fixed maybe around 55 degrees which is way more than the points type ignition. It also means that the voltage at coil+ is even more important to know since that EI dwell is pushing a stronger belt thru that coil. Resistance is even more mandatory (if you'll pardon the expression).
      Resistance is always mandatory!! Sorry, had too. Lol
      Coil resistance across small posts is 1.9 when set on 200 setting. Resistance from center is 8.10 on 20k setting.
      Your meaning v at coil + when running correct?

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

1.9 ohms across the coil primary is WAY low. They will burn out. You want around 4 ohms or so.
        My coil is about that as-is, but if you don't have one with that much resistance you can either buy a new one that does or add a ballast resistor.
        We also have the issue of the electronic ignition itself burning out, which is rare but not impossible.
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

• joe_db
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

It just so happens our host sell the correct coil to solve this issue:

Joe Della Barba
          Coquina
          C&C 35 MK I
          Maryland USA

Comment

• stranded-sailor
            • Nov 2023

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
            1.9 ohms across the coil primary is WAY low. They will burn out. You want around 4 ohms or so.
            My coil is about that as-is, but if you don't have one with that much resistance you can either buy a new one that does or add a ballast resistor.
            We also have the issue of the electronic ignition itself burning out, which is rare but not impossible.
            I looked up resistance values for coil and found this

a 12 volt coil will have a nominal resistance of around 1.5 ohms give or take a couple of tenths. The secondary resistance should be at least 8,000 ohms and can go as high as 12 to 13 thousand ohms depending on the coil

Is the coil for the a4 different? I got this replacement coil at a car parts place. Looked at my old one and said this one would work.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by stranded-sailor View Post
              Resistance is always mandatory!! Sorry, had too. Lol
              Coil resistance across small posts is 1.9 when set on 200 setting. Resistance from center is 8.10 on 20k setting.
              Your meaning v at coil + when running correct?
              Right, voltage at coil+ engine running is where the rubber meets the road. Doesn't matter how you get there. I don't like coils with internal resistance because they do not afford the opportunity to monitor voltage where it matters. The internal resistor may indeed reduce the voltage to an acceptable level but you cannot measure it, and because the resistor is in the coil there will be heat generated. Heat is the enemy of electrical devices, yet ironically most do produce their own heat.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

That coil will certainly do the job and the price is reasonable.

Comment

• stranded-sailor
                  • Nov 2023

Right, voltage at coil+ engine running is where the rubber meets the road. Doesn't matter how you get there. I don't like coils with internal resistance because they do not afford the opportunity to monitor voltage where it matters. The internal resistor may indeed reduce the voltage to an acceptable level but you cannot measure it, and because the resistor is in the coil there will be heat generated. Heat is the enemy of electrical devices, yet ironically most do produce their own heat.
                  So as I'm trying to figure this out I'm wondering if this coil not having an internal resistor being part of the problem, or causing me a new one. I took old coil to part store and he gave me this new one. Now that I look at it, with the new info I'm gaining here, I'm seeing that it says external resistor required. Has using this coil they gave me caused me more problems due to that?

Comment

• stranded-sailor
                    • Nov 2023

That coil will certainly do the job and the price is reasonable.
                    Thats actually 4$ cheaper than the one I got here and I'm thinking this one is wrong to boot. That's what I get for going to a part store without knowing exactly what I'm looking for!

Comment

• stranded-sailor
                      • Nov 2023

How would I test to see if the ignition is burnt out?

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Mar 2010

a 12 volt coil will have a nominal resistance of around 1.5 ohms give or take a couple of tenths. The secondary resistance should be at least 8,000 ohms and can go as high as 12 to 13 thousand ohms depending on the coil

Is the coil for the a4 different? I got this replacement coil at a car parts place. Looked at my old one and said this one would work.
                        He's right; it would work - IF it had the correct resistance in front of it. In fact just about any "12" volt auto coil will fire the A4 but buying the coil from Moyer Marine takes the guesswork out of the solution.

Comment

• joe_db
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

1.5 ohm coils will burn out. My auto parts place, being on an island, has 4 ohm coils for Atomic 4s, but 99.5% of them hardly understand old fashioned coils anymore. Moyer also has them
                          Joe Della Barba
                          Coquina
                          C&C 35 MK I
                          Maryland USA

Comment

• stranded-sailor
                            • Nov 2023

Ok. All good information. After tearing into this this afternoon I think its just time for a full tune up. Everything is wore some and plugs are obviously old. Coil reads good and getting power but no spark. Problem is I was hoping to leave here tomorrow night to get to a spot where I have better support. Only get the odd 24h with under 25kn winds and tomorrow nights one of them. If I'm understanding correctly this coil will work just not last as long as the right one? Maybe local parts store has cap and rotor button? And they should have plugs no problem.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Mar 2010

Ok. All good information. After tearing into this this afternoon I think its just time for a full tune up. Everything is wore some and plugs are obviously old. Coil reads good and getting power but no spark. Problem is I was hoping to leave here tomorrow night to get to a spot where I have better support. Only get the odd 24h with under 25kn winds and tomorrow nights one of them. If I'm understanding correctly this coil will work just not last as long as the right one? Maybe local parts store has cap and rotor button? And they should have plugs no problem.
                              Local parts store might even have a resistor for you. Worth asking. 2 ohm for starters, only has to carry 2 amps max

Comment

• joe_db
                                Afourian MVP
                                • May 2009

What he said. Ask for a 2 ohm ballast resistor or somewhere around that like 1.6 ohms.
                                Like this:
                                Last edited by joe_db; 11-08-2023, 11:28 PM.
                                Joe Della Barba
                                Coquina
                                C&C 35 MK I
                                Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
                                X