• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ILikeRust
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2010

Stripped coil terminal post

If the threads on a terminal post on the coil gets stripped, such that the little nut will no longer tighten and stay tightened, is there a way to fix it? I.e., is it possible to replace those terminal posts? Or is that the end of that coil and you'd have to just replace the whole darn thing?
    - Bill T.
    - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

If I had a coil known to be otherwise good I would attempt to rethread the post with a smaller die, cheap at the Ace hardware. Take the nut with you, select the tap and go 1 size smaller but purchase the small die.

Comment

• ILikeRust
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2010

I've got a tap and die set that goes that small. I don't know that you'd be able to physically get the die in there - not enough clearance between the terminal post and central high-tension wire connection.
      - Bill T.
      - Richmond, VA

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

In that case, with nothing to lose, I might make an attempt to solder another fitting onto what is left of the brass post.

Comment

• ILikeRust
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2010

Fortunately, I'm not quite at that point yet. I managed to find a little nut that seems to be holding. I'm not entirely sure whether it was the post or the nut that was slipping. But I'm thinking it's the post.

I'm still wondering whether it would be possible to pull or unscrew the old post. But I'm not going to perform surgery on my coil to find out! At least not until it won't hold the wires at all anymore.
          - Bill T.
          - Richmond, VA

Comment

• sastanley
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2008

Bill..my coils (plural, since I like to burn them up.. ) have a phillips head screw in the middle of the plug wire terminal..maybe the cap would come off the coil if you removed that screw?
            -Shawn
            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
            sigpic

Comment

• Marian Claire
              Afourian MVP
              • Aug 2007

If the post is stripped down low could you use the first nut basically as a spacer and put another nut on the post that would grab the good threads? If the whole post is buggered up would something like a wire nut that has a tapper hold the nut in place temporarily? Thinking out loud. Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• Mo
                Afourian MVP
                • Jun 2007

Had it happen this year troubleshooting a problem that turned out to be a condenser failure.....This was my 3rd coil try, my oldest coil...had it in and sure enough one post was stripped. Went into the box and found a small nut with teflon locking...it snugged up and is still there. FWIW
                Mo

"Odyssey"
                1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                The optimist expects it to change.
                The realist adjusts the sails.
                ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Carl-T705
                  • Jul 2011

use a metric nut

Comment