• Show
Clear All
  • edwardc
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Administrator View Post
    That has been my experience as well.

Bill
    Mine too. I've been on two different boats when the close nipple failed and started filling the boat with exhaust and water.
    @(^.^)@ Ed
    1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
    with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • May 2010

OK - I'll bite....

I don't see how a close nipple is any different than, say, a 1" nipple. The thread form is the same, the ID is the same, and the picture shows failure at the thread end (or a few threads up) and a 1" nipple would have done the same.

I think we're saying the weight of the exhaust shouldn't be supported solely by a short length of thin pipe thread.

Hanley's suggestion of a street fitting makes sense, because the wall thickness is greater in a cast piece.

So is Mary's suggestion of schedule 80 nipple or pipe.
      Last edited by BunnyPlanet169; 03-30-2015, 10:09 AM.
      Jeff

sigpic
      S/V Bunny Planet
      1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by edwardc View Post
        Mine too. I've been on two different boats when the close nipple failed and started filling the boat with exhaust and water.
        Make that three.

Helpful boating hint of the day: When you look down below and notice the carpet is floating up off the cabin sole there is a problem. Most likely a leak somewhere.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Ball Racing
          Afourian MVP
          • Jul 2011

I made mine from brass-bronze pipe, and it was always coming loose at the manifold threads.
          Then,, I believe the second year it feel apart.
          Under the wrap it was just scaled apart and looked like dirt.
          Waste of time and money..
          Tyring to keep the Bay's Wooden Boat's history from dying off completely.
          Daniel

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

There is no weight hanging on that fitting. That is strictly corrosion. I am going to come up with something better than a close nipple for my next version of this. The thread crevices can't be a good thing.
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

• joe_db
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

In this photo the MM water injection assembly is bronze/brass and apparently has no issue being used with iron pipe. What would happen if the downstream pipe was brass* and there was a bronze elbow and hose barb at the bottom? Brass and bronze are not allowed in the hot part per ABYC, but this would be on the wet side.

* AFAIK there is no such thing as bronze pipe, only bronze fittings. It would have to be brass or iron.
              Joe Della Barba
              Coquina
              C&C 35 MK I
              Maryland USA

Comment

• zellerj
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2005

What is brass-bronze pipe

Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc - which is not meant for sea water contact because the zinc oxidizes and then dissolves.

Bronze is an alloy of copper and tin, and is good with sea water.

Don't know what brass-bronze is.

Brass is an alloy of copper, and copper has been a boatbuilding material for centuries as cladding on hull bottoms to keep teredo worms out, and as a natural antifoulant.

Best
                Jim
                Jim Zeller
                1982 Catalina 30
                Kelleys Island, Ohio

Comment

• joe_db
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

brass/bronze is brass or bronze. I can find bronze elbows and hose barbs, but no such thing as bronze nipples or pipe pieces I have even been able to find.

Originally posted by zellerj View Post
                  Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc - which is not meant for sea water contact because the zinc oxidizes and then dissolves.

Bronze is an alloy of copper and tin, and is good with sea water.

Don't know what brass-bronze is.

Brass is an alloy of copper, and copper has been a boatbuilding material for centuries as cladding on hull bottoms to keep teredo worms out, and as a natural antifoulant.

Best
                  Jim
                  Joe Della Barba
                  Coquina
                  C&C 35 MK I
                  Maryland USA

Comment

• zialater
                    • Jun 2014

Bent stainless for hot section

I just took the leaking hot section off of my C&C 30 and it looks exactly like Joe_DBs photo. Possibly even uglier.

I have a pal near me in Edgewater, MD who i asked to weld the cooling water barb to the hot section. He suggested that he could take stainless 1.25 and bend it into the same shape as my old galvanized pipe unit. It will have threads for the manifold flange and stainless barb for the muffler end and the cooling water.

It will do away with four 90 degree corners and offer up a smoother path for the exhaust gasses. It should last quite a bit longer as well. There will be no other metals other than stainless on the section.

I should get the part next week and i will post pics and prices. I expect it to run around $150 total. I will take back the galvanized pipe that I bought from Home Depot for about $55.

Cheers,
                    Joe
                    Zia - 1975 C&C30 MK1
                    Annapolis, MD

Comment

• joe_db
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

Please let me know who is doing this - PM if you want. I was quoted $1500 to make one of these.
                      Thanks!!!!!

Originally posted by zialater View Post
                      I just took the leaking hot section off of my C&C 30 and it looks exactly like Joe_DBs photo. Possibly even uglier.

I have a pal near me in Edgewater, MD who i asked to weld the cooling water barb to the hot section. He suggested that he could take stainless 1.25 and bend it into the same shape as my old galvanized pipe unit. It will have threads for the manifold flange and stainless barb for the muffler end and the cooling water.

It will do away with four 90 degree corners and offer up a smoother path for the exhaust gasses. It should last quite a bit longer as well. There will be no other metals other than stainless on the section.

I should get the part next week and i will post pics and prices. I expect it to run around $150 total. I will take back the galvanized pipe that I bought from Home Depot for about $55.

Cheers,
                      Joe Della Barba
                      Coquina
                      C&C 35 MK I
                      Maryland USA

Comment

• Administrator
                        MMI Webmaster
                        • Oct 2004

I wonder if Midas or someone similar could do the bends. It's not hard to find custom shops online that would appear capable as well.

Bill

Comment

• zialater
                          • Jun 2014

Bent stainless for exhaust riser

I PM'd you the guys phone number Joe -

I am out of town for a week but looking forward to getting my riser when I return.

Cheers,
                          Joe
                          Zia - 1975 C&C30 MK1
                          Annapolis, MD

Comment

• joe_db
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

Joe Della Barba
                            Coquina
                            C&C 35 MK I
                            Maryland USA

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Administrator View Post
                              I wonder if Midas or someone similar could do the bends. It's not hard to find custom shops online that would appear capable as well.

Bill
                              Any muffler shop could do the bends if you brought them a pattern to duplicate. I'm not convinced that stainless is a good idea in this application. Stainless does not like the anaerobic environment in the presence of salt water, and that is exactly what you will get if you wrap the hot section.

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
                                • May 2010

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
                                Any muffler shop could do the bends if you brought them a pattern to duplicate. I'm not convinced that stainless is a good idea in this application. Stainless does not like the anaerobic environment in the presence of salt water, and that is exactly what you will get if you wrap the hot section.
                                At what wall thickness? Muffler shops can do thin wall, but I would want something a little stronger.... 1.25" schedule 40 pipe has a 0.140" wall, schedule 80 is 0.190". That's structural tubing.

I don't see how the hot section would be anything other than dry and well baked. Not sure I agree with the likelihood of anaerobic conditions which would presume it's always wet....

For $18.00, you can buy a 2" long, schedule 80, 316 stainless pipe nipple from McMaster Carr and call it a day.... $150 - $200 and you've got the whole thing in thick wall 316 SS.

Mary - do you have pictures?
                                Jeff

sigpic
                                S/V Bunny Planet
                                1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

Working...
                                X