X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Please know that both the Thatch mod and sideplate hole enlargement for electric FWC are preferred based on speculation only. We think they're better, make sense to us and those with them report no problems.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
      Please know that both the Thatch mod and sideplate hole enlargement for electric FWC are preferred based on speculation only. We think they're better, make sense to us and those with them report no problems.
      Nein, please upgrade that to tested and true.

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

SFL, even if my boat is 6 hours away, I'd make the trip to winterize..but that is just me. I certainly understand we all have individual circumstances, and if I could not get to the boat for winterizing, I'd recommend the same as Hanley.

Where we live in the mid-Atlantic, pink RV antifreeze is acceptable. We've had a couple times with temps down to 5 - 6°F this winter, and 15°F forecasted tonight which is quite cold for our area in late Feburary. Use the antifreeze recommended where you are..As Hanley noted, the green stuff gives better protection, and I think has a lower freeze point when mixed with water as opposed to full strength, unlike RV antifreeze.

In theory, with green antifreeze in the engine routed for FWC, yes, the only concern is the raw water cooled side of the circuit for winter (water pump & HX)

BTW - I think Moyer sells fittings that go on the top of the head & manifold for early model engines to replace that cast crossover fitting and allow hoses which could accommodate your own customized "Thatch mod".

Also, Neil is being conservative and rightly so, none of us want to state anything as gospel..However, some of us are experimenting, and I am sold on the side plate enlargement. I have my side plate at 1/2" NPT and have employed the Thatch mod on my late model engine, which I recently converted to FWC with the electric circulation pump. It works OK for me.
        Last edited by sastanley; 02-27-2014, 11:42 PM.
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

I am unaware of any real before and after testing with measured results, only general consensus. If it has been done and I missed it, apologies. Can you refer a thread??
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California

Comment

• hanleyclifford
            Afourian MVP
            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
            I am unaware of any real before and after testing with measured results, only general consensus. If it has been done and I missed it, apologies. Can you refer a thread??
            Hundreds of engine hours with the Thatch Modification and enhanced flow modifications with trouble free and steady cooling - that's my testing.

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

OK, I understand you're trouble free, so am I but that's not really measurable proof the Thatch mod is significantly superior to the factory original configuration. Like many here I believe it is but as far as I know, nobody has really measured the improvement and frankly, I don't know how to go about measuring it. Maybe IR non contact temp measurements of the manifold before and after the mod without any other changes??

That's all I was really trying to say. When we were working in the EI/resistor solution we actually measured the drop in coil temperature after installing a resistor. Development of the tensioner involved belt tension measurements to meet the Lycoming standard, stuff like that.
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

I think there are some things that do not lend themselves to quantitative testing, at least in the short run. The Thatch Modification just makes good theoretical sense especially for engines with any kind of angle - and it costs nothing. The value of coolant velocity is the same. Maybe we don't get to know such things except in observing the longevity and performance of our engines. Not scientific to be sure but I just cannot stop myself from trying new ideas.

Comment

• joe_db
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

The cooling mods are almost untestable with equipment you would have on hand. You would have to put temp and flow sensors inside the engine to really see what is going on.
                  Joe Della Barba
                  Coquina
                  C&C 35 MK I
                  Maryland USA

Comment

• sail_flathead_lake
                    • Nov 2013

Guys - thanks again for all the input. It turns out it may be a moot point to begin with. I just read in Tom's instructions that the FWC electric version isn't recommended for installations with a hot water heater in the loop, and we're planning on adding one of those next season, so it looks like I may have to get another mechanical pump shoe-horned in there somehow.

Comment

• romantic comedy
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2007

sounds like you made a decision.

What are the specifics as to why you cant put a pump on the fly wheel PTO or the accessory drive?

Comment

• ndutton
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

Whoa - whoa - whoa

Originally posted by sail_flathead_lake View Post
                        I just read in [Indigo's] instructions that the FWC electric version isn't recommended for installations with a hot water heater in the loop
                        I'd sure like to know why not. I have a water heater in mine a considerable distance away using the exact same pump with no problems at all.
                        Neil
                        1977 Catalina 30
                        San Pedro, California

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Mar 2010

Could be a little CYA action going on there, Neil; I agree the pump can handle the heater just fine if the system is set up for smooth flow. The acc drive option is still there but I don't like it with a big alternator.

Comment

• ndutton
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
                            Could be a little CYA action going on there, Neil
                            Tom Stevens is a pretty good thinker so I'd like to know exactly what his reservations are. It would be entirely out of line for me to inquire as I'm not a customer and therefore deserve zero of his time.

Either I've overlooked something or I can debunk the concerns. The bottom line is mine's electric, has a water heater in the loop and has worked well for years.
                            Neil
                            1977 Catalina 30
                            San Pedro, California

Comment

• romantic comedy
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2007

I moved the alternator to the flywheel PTO, so I could run a 100 amp via a half inch belt. Then I mounted the seawater pump at the acc drive.

Still wonder why he cant have a mechanical pump

Comment

• ndutton
                                Afourian MVP
                                • May 2009

As I recall he has a Ranger 33, no room at the flywheel for a PTO and prefers not to add a pump to the auxiliary drive with the alternator already there. Sounds like the aux drive question might be revisited though.

SFL,
                                Is there any option of making new steps to give you some flywheel room?

Worthless trivia:
                                In the 70's actor and comedian Dick Van Dyke owned a Ranger 33. Got a chance to meet him during a plant tour.
                                Neil
                                1977 Catalina 30
                                San Pedro, California

Comment

Working...
                                X