X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

Micah, I think the concern is off-gassing of the 'dip in the galvanization pool'. I made mine out of galvanized pipe. Yes, it off-gassed for a few hours, but it was summer and I had the forward hatch open under power, etc.

I'll let you know how long it lasts..2011 is season three.

now, if you could just come over and help me make my engine compartment look like yours, we'd be golden!!!
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Plus it's neither USCG nor ABYC compliant.

Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Marian Claire
        Afourian MVP
        • Aug 2007

I have rebuilt twice on the MC and used anti-seize on the flange but nothing on the other connections. Even if they were a little loose, due to alignment, they quickly sealed themselves. I now carry a complete set of black iron parts on-board. Not always easy to find them. One thing I noticed on both rebuilds is that the short, say two inch, nipples were the first to rust thru. Some of the other parts seemed to be fine. Do they use a thinner wall pipe for these parts or is it just the threading process that removes so much material? The short nipples are threaded the entire length. I now avoid using those short pieces. Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• hanleyclifford
          Afourian MVP
          • Mar 2010

Dan - Good catch on those short nipples. I have suspected some may be a cheaper steel or alloy vs. the castings. One way to minimize the issue is to use "street" wherever possible. Hanley

Comment

• Mo
            Afourian MVP
            • Jun 2007

There is so much steel coming from China stamped US (or Canada) for that matter with reputable companies names on it. While as a medic on an oil rig we had a shackle break on a crane load. The load came crashing to the deck.

The shackle was sent for metallurgical testing as it was within it's safe working limit when it broke. It turned out to be a cheap knock off from china and the supplier had no idea..."Warehouse" just ordered " name " shackles from a reputable offshore supplier in Houston. Sometimes even the middleman doesn't know what he is getting, let alone the end user.

I imagine some of the black iron around is black market, no matter who's name is stamped on it.
            Mo

"Odyssey"
            1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
            The optimist expects it to change.
            The realist adjusts the sails.
            ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

Working...
            X