• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mo
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2007

Big rescue up here last night.

5 rescued and alive; 1 dead and 3 missing off a sailboat on the edge of the banks SW of NS.....hell of a blow here too. 9 of them were on their way from Europe and got hit. SAR picked up 6 and said 30-40 foot waves; 50-70 kts of wind, all were injured and one of the injured died in Hospital. I guess the boat was being slammed back and forth 90 degrees.

Right now, our boys are in for a crew change now and US Coast Guard came out to cover them off and continue the search until they change up crews.

SAR out of Canadian Forces Base Greenwood flew two separate missions last night and 10 are alive.....it was hellish and cold. They did a hell of a job.
    Mo

"Odyssey"
    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist expects it to change.
    The realist adjusts the sails.
    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

Goog gneus!

Hanley, good to hear the filters helped with you fuel issues, maybe now you can go back to a std simple system. I was pretty sure they would do the trick.

Bummer about the cutlass, not sure how you have been alligning with the shaft able to "orbit" so much. How long is the shaft?

Four heat exchangers(???) and not enough capacity, that's a bit suprising to me. Are you sure things don't just need a good flushing perhaps with acid?

I'd like to put a question out here~~Does anyone know the required sq inches of exchange area for the A-4 in temparate waters OR how much "sq" area is required for a given amount of HP. I know it can very but there surely is some sort of a baseline. I am wanting to start to look for a used exchanger and wonder about capacity for cooling when/if I change over.

Fair winds and repair Hanley! _/) _/)
      Dave Neptune

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

Greetings from Georgetown, SC

The" Coffee Break Cafe" right on Front Street easy access from the town day dock. Moving fairly fast now but will be holding up in the Myrtle Beach area for a few days. Even with the sloppy cutlass today I ran 1850 rpm with 9" vacuum at 175 degrees without vibration. The problem is only apparent at low rpm with rudder over. With easy start up, no vibration. I like Dave's comments about exchangers; maybe we need a thread on exchanger "ratings" or transfer capacity?

Comment

• ArtJ
          • Sep 2009

Hi Hanley

I thought I was having a capacity problem with my heat exchanger a couple of
          years ago. It turned out that the fresh water block needed a good flushing
          which solved the problem

Best Regards

Art

PS let us know if you run across the young Brit rowing the ICWW.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
            Afourian MVP
            • Mar 2010

Greetings from SM 373.3

Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC. Plan is to spend a few days here and wait for delivery of the new cutlass bearing which may be needed further up the line. This is another great stop for ICW travelers (only $1.00/ft.) Art, I wish I could attribute the problem to a dirty block, but, alas my cooling system is just plain undersized for the two new conditions I face: the desire to run at higher rpms, and much warmer southern waters. Of my 4 exchangers one is for the oil and the other three do not add up to the value of a MM unit. Combined with my relatively slow raw water velocity----a (nother) re-engineering exercise is in my future.

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Hanley,

About 12 - 14 miles North of you is a boatyard in Shalotte, N.C. I recommissioned my 24,000 lb. Westsail there for the folks who bought her from me. They did a fine job, had a Travelift too. For deeper draft vessels you're limited to dead high tide for lifting and launching.
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California
              prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
              Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                Hanley,

About 12 - 14 miles North of you is a boatyard in Shalotte, N.C. I recommissioned my 24,000 lb. Westsail there for the folks who bought her from me. They did a fine job, had a Travelift too. For deeper draft vessels you're limited to dead high tide for lifting and launching.
                Yes, I visited the yard once and the owner seemed to be very knowledgable and friendly. The problem at Shallotte is getting up the river which is a "local knowledge" only sort of undertaking (channel not marked). In any case, because of a well balanced prop and true shaft, combined with careful operator use, I have been running well with no vibration at cruise to this point. Just going to get the part on board.....you know. I have a list of DIY yards that lie ahead.

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

10-4. Carry on.
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California
                  prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                  Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Mar 2010

Interim fuel usage report

Number of engine hours since Titusville - 103.5
                    gallons expended 77.279
                    gallons/hour = .746657

This is very exciting and represents a big improvement over the run south. There has been a bit of cheating with the Dacron, but with engine at cruise rpm.

Comment

• Mo
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Jun 2007

Hanley,

That sure is some impressive milage...not too shabby at all. I take it you are taking the "wait and see" approach with the cutless bearing since the boat has a sweet spot to run in. Good hearing the updates of your run. Keep it up there O'le Son. By the way, was surfing youtube the other night and there were some pics of you on there where the young fella came and got an engine from you....so cool
                      Mo

"Odyssey"
                      1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                      The optimist expects it to change.
                      The realist adjusts the sails.
                      ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• ArtJ
                        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
                        Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC. Plan is to spend a few days here and wait for delivery of the new cutlass bearing which may be needed further up the line. This is another great stop for ICW travelers (only $1.00/ft.) Art, I wish I could attribute the problem to a dirty block, but, alas my cooling system is just plain undersized for the two new conditions I face: the desire to run at higher rpms, and much warmer southern waters. Of my 4 exchangers one is for the oil and the other three do not add up to the value of a MM unit. Combined with my relatively slow raw water velocity----a (nother) re-engineering exercise is in my future.
                        Hanley

I have a spare Universal heat exchanger which came with my engine orignally.
                        I have replaced it with a mmi unit two seasons ago. But the Universal exchanger
                        which mounts on two of the manifold studs is in good working condition.
                        If you need another exchanger to get you back please send me a pm
                        and where to mail it. By the way, it uses the smaller size pencil zinc
                        which would need checking along the way. NO CHARGE, just return
                        it if it no longer needed afterwards, or keep it.

Best Regards

Art

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Mar 2010

Art - Thanks for the offer but I can run 1850 rpm at 175 all day; but when I get back and repropped for more rpms, I'd like to talk about that exchanger for the new and improved system. Regards, Hanley

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                            • Jan 2007

Curious?

Hanley, what kind of speed are you cruising at to get the milage you are posting? Your "Destiny" is a H-(mod) 28, which is actually a 30'er right? I think I remember it being the same boat as an ole' racing buddie of mine.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Mar 2010

An Educated Guess

Because of current and of course cheating with the Dacron, I would say in flat water I would be getting 5.25 to 5.5 knots.

Comment

• ILikeRust
                                Afourian MVP
                                • Sep 2010

Hanley! Hanley! Speak to me, boy!!

Where is ya? Still in Myrtle Beach?

Tomorrow, my fambly and I are setting off in my magical mystery truck for a drive from Richmond, VA to .... Hilton Head, SC.

I'm assuming it will take use close to 9 hours, being that it's me with three wimmin folk. If it were me alone, it would take 7 hours.

We'll be there Sunday, Monday and Tuesday and then we'll drive back home on Wednesday.

What's your schedule for hitting the Chessie?
                                - Bill T.
                                - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

Working...
                                X