X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jimmy
    • Aug 2011

Spare Parts?

I have a well maintained A-4, but a very limeted inventory of spare parts.Planning on a couple distant cruises next season, and part of my prep will be creating an inventory of the most useful spare parts.
    I can't see myself ordering one of everything from M.M. I have viewed previous threads, for suggestions , but the most important info wasn't there, which prompts me to ask the more "seasoned" owners, what part(s) are the most prone to failure?
    sigpic
    Jimmy
    C&C 29 MK1
    Erieau , Lake Erie
  • Mo
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2007

Jim,

If you will be staying in the vicinity of the Great Lakes I'd not get too worried about it. If you plan a port every night you will have the opportunity to order anything you may need. I have a complete drop in engine in my garage...but I don't try to carry it.

I've done some short cruises around NS and the only thing I needed in the past 4 years were fuel filters and a condenser...on two seperate occassions. I also had a plug problem earlier this year but it was during a day sail near home. Below is what I suggest for the lakes.

- a good socket set, wrenches, screw drivers, multimeter, assortment of washers, nuts etc, some wiring, assortment of wiring terminals, tape, fuses. set of cable cutters in case you need to cut away the shrouds in the event of dis-masting.
    - tube of silicone gasket maker, lubricant spray; 4 liter jug of spare oil, grease for the pump,
    - fuel filters and a small container to drain the separator if required...I carry 3 spares of each type of filter that are on the boat.
    - Spare (this stuff should be new) Coil, Cap, rotor, points, condenser, plugs..and a spare set of wires if you can manage.
    - Spare impellar and gasket.
    - Spare bulbs for any lights you run on the boat.
    - If you use a T-stat (I don't) keep a spare...you can use silcone to make a gasket for that if it goes south.
    - belts for alternator x2; spare belt for auto pilot if you have one.
    - and have your MMI repair manual on the boat!!

If your starter goes send it for repair...chev used the same one for years.
    If your alternator goes send it out for repair.

If you have that and are either bit handy you'll do fine.
    Last edited by Mo; 10-10-2011, 06:12 PM. Reason: almost forgot the repair manual.
    Mo

"Odyssey"
    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist expects it to change.
    The realist adjusts the sails.
    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Mark S
      • Sep 2008

Also a couple of feet of every diameter hose you use on the engine.

Mark

Comment

• Mo
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2007

oh yeah

Mark brought up a good point...made me think. Should an impeller disintegrate having a mirror (to see in tight spots regardless of the problem), and a couple of small "dental" type tools aboard would certainly help clear debris from elbows and hose joints.
        Mo

"Odyssey"
        1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
        The optimist expects it to change.
        The realist adjusts the sails.
        ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
          Afourian MVP
          • Mar 2010

I always carry a spare starter and spare water pump. Unless you are good with the crank tool, a dead starter will leave you dead in the anchorage needing a tow.

Comment

• msmith10
            Afourian MVP
            • Jun 2006

Agree with Mo. I also carry a carb rebuild kit- it takes up very little space and contains the carb gaskets. Even if you just clean the carb and don't need a rebuild you'll have the gaskets.
            Hanley can carry a spare starter on his boat and not notice it, but you won't want one sitting around in a c&c 29. I carry the hand crank starter and it will start the motor easily if the starter fails. Also, gap the plugs and put them back in the box so if you have to change them out it's already done. I write "gapped" on the box so I remember I did it. Also carry a couple of rolls (20 or 30 feet) of 16 gauge wire for replacing or jumping as needed.
            In my experience most failures don't require replacements-- they require cleaning-- changing filters, plugs, cleaning carb, etc. In most cases it's basic tools, skills, and knowledge, not parts, that you need. Learn how to test the basics and troubleshoot

- are you pumping fuel, are you getting spark, is the primary ignition working?
            Last edited by msmith10; 10-11-2011, 09:15 PM.
            Mark Smith
            1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

• Marian Claire
              Afourian MVP
              • Aug 2007

Things on the A-4 I have replaced or have crapped out while cruising. All filters, electric fuel pump, water pump, coil, plugs, misc hoses, squeeze bulb, hot exhaust section, wiring and switches and piston rings. As mentioned, think about where you are going and how a failure you can not repair will affect your plans/trip. How far away is help. Do you want to spend 1 day of a weekend trip waiting for a part. Do you have to be back by a certain day etc. I carry a plug and play spare of almost every thing that can be taken off the A-4. The MC is only 30 ft but not a production boat so storage is different. Dan S/V Marian Claire
              Edit: Also voltage regulator and alternator
              Last edited by Marian Claire; 10-11-2011, 09:52 PM.

Comment

• Jimmy
                • Aug 2011

Mo,
                Your point on space ( and weight ) are right on target. Our 29 footer is a few feet larger than origanially planned , but I thought what the heck.Why not cure that itch for the extra space right up front.........Well the cure lasted less than one season , and came to an abrupt halt when I pointed out the conflict between our water line and the Admirals cast iron pans. Boy wish I had that moment in time to do over again.

My goal is to store all spare parts in the same location as my two batteries. This gives me a total of about 8 cubic ft. Lots space, for rebuild kits, and misc. spare parts. After reading the responses I think I will practice the "hand crank " . Much rather learn the proper technice on my own scheduale , before a crapped out starter dictates it.
                sigpic
                Jimmy
                C&C 29 MK1
                Erieau , Lake Erie

Comment

• msauntry
                  • May 2008

My electric fuel pump just crapped out and I had to scramble to find a replacement immediately. Got lucky at NAPA and was back in business. Whished I had a spare on board... Hand crank comes in useful for starting and other tasts. I'd carry some sections of hoses and some hose clamps.

On my six month cruise from Annapolis to USVI, I had a rust hole open up in my manifold making it very hard to start, the starter motor gave up, the coupling was so worn I was spitting keyways out every 30 minutes. I carried an MMI manifold back in my luggage after a flight to the states. The starter was rebuilt by an old island car mechanic after failing to find a suitable new replacement. The guy knew his business and its worked great ever since

That being said, I don't want a bunch of heavy steel items taking up space on the boat. If it goes, be ready to pull it out and find someone to rebuild it.

Comment

Working...
                  X