X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • old-sailer
    • Nov 2011

HELP, I have a leak.....

I have owned this boat now for 3 years.. done most everything else but I have never touched the water pump.

The other day I noticed I have a drip... What I think is the bottom of the water pump drips.. slowly.

I have looked at pictures online and my pump appears to be different from others I see. It has a line from the strainer to the pump then 2 other lines going off into the engine. I don't see a grease cap on the side at all. The flange has 4 slot head screws on it. It drips from the bottom of the flange.

I guess it's time to take it apart and see what the impeller looks like and the clean and reassemble.

The picture is not mine. It's a picture from the web but it's the type I have.. only 4 screws and no grease cap.

So also what I'd like to know is when I get my fat butt down there by the engine... 1) can I do this while it's in the water? Wait until it's on the hard in the fall? 2) How do you remove the old impeller? Does it just pull out? 3) Is there supposed to be a gasket on this thing? If so where do I get one. I do have a spare impeller that came with the boat.

Any info would be appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by old-sailer; 06-24-2014, 04:56 PM.
    Mike
    1980 30' C&C MK1
  • Trés 30
    • May 2014

Don't Panic

Mike,

It is not necessary to have the boat on the hard to replace either the impeller or water pump or any of the gaskets. Make sure your thru-hull is closed before you start. The occasional drip in this area is not uncommon, though not necessarily desirable, as your engine mount/oil pan shoulder (flange?) will be the first to rust.

If you've had the boat for 3 years, you're definitely due to at least touch the water pump. According to this site "We recommend replacing your raw water pump impeller every 200 hours or after every second season", unless you have FWC (which you may if there are two lines exiting the pump, but pics help a lot).

Impellers are pretty easy to come by, just make sure you get the right one (important), and if you can spring for any upgrades the MMI catalog has some quality stuff. http://www.moyermarine.com/cgi-bin/s...rebuilder.html

Search this site for finer points on replacing impeller. There has almost certainly been a discussion on this, and pros on this site will be able to offer a lot more than generalities above.

Best,
    Leon

Comment

• Nick duBois
      • Mar 2008

Mike,
      Is the leak on the back of the pump by the impeller or in the front by the accessory drive? If its in back you need to replace the gasket on the back of the pump and you may as well take the opportunity to check the impeller as well. If it's in the front the water lip seal is failing, (you may also have to replace the shaft if it is scored).There are two seals one for water and the other for oil. There is a gasket between the pump and the drive it mounts on to. Two bolts are used to mount it. There is a weep hole on the pump you can see the water leaking out. All the parts can be purchased at Moyer and you can do the job with the boat in the water. Hope this helps

Nick
      Nick duBois
      "Irish Rover"
      Catalina 27 #4459
      Halifax, NS Canada

Comment

• old-sailer
        • Nov 2011

Thanks guys.... I'll send my wife in to do it... she's tiny. The lockers are no way big enough for me.

The leak is coming from the bottom of the flange with the 4 screws in it. My wife already crawled down there to tighten them but they were tight. I suspect the gasket.

I was fortunate to find a youtube video on the changing of the impeller so I think I'm now Ok... I need to be sure of the pump type and I'll check the parts bin. I know I have a spare impeller and I may have a spare gasket..
        Mike
        1980 30' C&C MK1

Comment

• old-sailer
          • Nov 2011

I queued in on "weeping hole"... does this mean it should drip a bit???? The drips just run onto fibreglass and into the bilge.

It's only a drop every so often. I've not seen it before but just happened to be at the right place at the right time digging in the locker.

Originally posted by Nick duBois View Post
          Mike,
          Is the leak on the back of the pump by the impeller or in the front by the accessory drive? If its in back you need to replace the gasket on the back of the pump and you may as well take the opportunity to check the impeller as well. If it's in the front the water lip seal is failing, (you may also have to replace the shaft if it is scored).There are two seals one for water and the other for oil. There is a gasket between the pump and the drive it mounts on to. Two bolts are used to mount it. There is a weep hole on the pump you can see the water leaking out. All the parts can be purchased at Moyer and you can do the job with the boat in the water. Hope this helps

Nick
          Mike
          1980 30' C&C MK1

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
            • Nov 2008

The leak may appear to be comming from the back plate but may actually be running down the pump from the weep hole and dripping off the back plate.

TRUE GRIT

Edit: Read your post #5. Should be totally dry. You need new seals.
            Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 06-24-2014, 07:18 PM.

Comment

• roadnsky
              Afourian MVP
              • Dec 2008

Mike-
              Does your pump look like PIC #1 or #2?

MMI sells a rebuild kit that has great instructions with it.

You may also want to consider viewing the rebuild video that Don made.
              $12 bucks and you learn a lot!

Attached Files
              -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
              sigpic
              1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• romantic comedy
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2007

Jerry, do you have two different pumps pictured? Is Pic #1 the top?
                They look the same to me.

Comment

• roadnsky
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Dec 2008

Pic #1 is an Oberdorfer M7 (original with my A4)
                  Pic #2 is the MMI 502
                  -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                  sigpic
                  1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Mar 2010

Don't stare too long at pic #2 without sunglases.

Comment

• old-sailer
                      • Nov 2011

Well, just to finish off this thread and my water pump issues... Yes it's an old girl from picture #1. .. I finally got enough courage to crawl down there (and found out I hate tiny places) but it's all done. The seals were leaking and so I took it out and replaced everything, seals, impeller, the works. And since I've never looked at the distributer I checked it out also. Figured while I was wedged in there I'd make the most out of it. Checked the stuffing box too.

It's all fixed... runs like a charm.. no drips... WHAT A HELL OF A PLACE TO WORK FOR A BIG TUBBY LIKE ME...

Thanks to all for the info.. and the Youtube video was really helpful.
                      Mike
                      1980 30' C&C MK1

Comment

• Mo
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Jun 2007

Good job there old sailer. I have a couple of sets of seals ordered in for mine as well. It started leaking as well and it's time for a look-see. I put the spare on a few years back and neglected to order in seals for the damaged one. ...now I have to do both.
                        Mo

"Odyssey"
                        1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                        The optimist expects it to change.
                        The realist adjusts the sails.
                        ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Whippet
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2012

C&C access

Originally posted by old-sailer View Post
                          And since I've never looked at the distributer I checked it out also. Figured while I was wedged in there I'd make the most out of it. Checked the stuffing box too.

It's all fixed... runs like a charm.. no drips... WHAT A HELL OF A PLACE TO WORK FOR A BIG TUBBY LIKE ME...
                          Hi Mike
                          I learned a trick on C&C 27 awhile ago and wonder if it applies to C&C 30 (Mo would know for sure). The shelf that sits over top of A4 in the companionway comes off in a snap (2 screws and lift and she's out). Would not have helped with pump or stuffing box, but easier way to get at distributor than through the locker. Also makes plug access easy.
                          Steve
                          Etobicoke YC, C&C27
                          A4 #204381, 1980

Comment

• Mo
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Jun 2007

On the 30 we disconnect and pivot it forward and up through the companion-way...if the lazarettes were just a tad wider we could take it out through there....LOL The counter-top is stationary but there is still loads of room to pull an engine.
                            Mo

"Odyssey"
                            1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                            The optimist expects it to change.
                            The realist adjusts the sails.
                            ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• old-sailer
                              • Nov 2011

I've seen a large round access port that is intended to be installed on any boat and location in various sizes.. 8 to 14 inches diameter. I've thought of adding one to the cockpit floor above the engine to allow access to the engine top but was concerned about the floor stability after the install. We have a wood floor over top the fibreglass so you wouldn't see it once installed. I just wonder if it would compromise the integrity of the boat/floor?? It would make getting at the coil and distributer much easier.
                              Mike
                              1980 30' C&C MK1

Comment

Working...
                              X