• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Whippet
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2012

Sailing in Neutral

Hi

I once read advice on this site never to sail in neutral. Gee, it sure is tempting because boat speed is higher, about .5 kt increase when take out of gear at 5 kts.

What is reason to avoid? Wear on gear box, stuffing box?

Thanks
    Steve
    Etobicoke YC, C&C27
    A4 #204381, 1980
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

It will certainly wear the shaft packing. Out of curiosity I measured the shaft RPM under sail @5 knots and engine in neutral. 400 RPM. I don't know of any other issues with our engines but as for hydraulic trannys typical on diesels, a freewheeling prop and shaft is not good. At Islander we even offered a shaft brake on the Freeport 41.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

My Dad always put the Atomic 4 "trans" in reverse when sailing...we raced a lot and with a 2 blade prop he hid the prop behind the keel. Now that I own the boat, my issue with that is wear on the brake band.

I now have the Indigo 3-blade prop, and I shut the motor down in forward to keep the clutch plates locked and holding the prop still while sailing. In my opinion, there is no sense in wearing out everything else unnecessarily, as Neil has already noted.
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

The theory behind the advice not to sail in neutral is that the turning shaft and drum etc is not getting oil if the engine is not running. Probably true for direct drive; however, the 2:1 never drains and I believe the ring gear does dip into the residual oil in the housing. Still, I do follow the conventional wisdom and stay in forward while under sail alone.

Comment

• Mo
          Afourian MVP
          • Jun 2007

I've been sailing for a number of years in neutral. I did have to adjust my stuffing box this year, otherwise uneventful except you can hear the shaft turn while underway. I can gain up to a knot of speed when the wind is brisk but don't notice any difference on the lower end. 3 blade Michigan prop on the boat as far as I can tell.
          Mo

"Odyssey"
          1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
          The optimist expects it to change.
          The realist adjusts the sails.
          ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• lat 64
            Afourian MVP
            • Oct 2008

I always try to remember to lock in forward while sailing for all the mentioned reasons. Shawn however, has given me a trick to try sometime when I'm racing. Can't hurt the thing to use for a while to win a tacking dual can it?

Or am I missing a racing rule?

Russ
            sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

lat 64 (man, that is way too far north!)

He marked the shaft while the boat was on the hard, so that we could set it vertical to have the least drag of the fixed prop behind the keel.

On a folding prop, you want to do the opposite, mark the shaft horizontal so the blades will fold, and not drop open in light air.
              -Shawn
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

• Bingy
                • Sep 2011

Kiwi Prop

I have a 3 blade Kiwi feathering prop and manufacturer recommends sailing in neutral.
                I'm not sure if this is the best for engine or prop and usually leave in forward.
                I race a lot and hope non spinning prop is better .

Comment

• sastanley
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Sep 2008

Kiwi, with a folder our SOP was to take the engine out of gear while at speed (3-4 knots) and usually the prop self set and the blades closed. We pulled the cover to check the prop position and 95% of the time it was within a few degrees..sometimes at lower speeds there was insufficient water pressure flowing by to fold the blades & we had to turn the shaft to get the prop horizontal, hence the practice of doing it while moving.

With a 3-blade feathering, I would assume they want it in neutral because the feathering action probably happens in conjunction with the shaft turning independently of the engine, and the water flowing by the blades. Once feathered, you should be able to put the engine back in gear (obviously with the engine switched off ) to hold the prop in the feathered position.
                  -Shawn
                  sigpic

Comment

• Bingy
                    • Sep 2011

I hauled boat the other day to adjust pitch to allow for a higher RPM.
                    Prior to adjustment I could only get 1600 RPM and had problems with fouling plugs.
                    Decreased pitch and took out for a motor. Boat moved at 6.3 knots and RPM has increased.Still had some room on throttle.
                    Water temp and oil pres. were all good.
                    Checked plugs and they appear to be much greyer in color.
                    Waiting for new tach to arrive so I can verify RPM.
                    The blades on my prop feather indepentely and I assume feather as soon as prop stops turning.
                    C&C 34 , 2 to 1 Paragon reduction gear, off set shaft.
                    I also have a Martec folding prop 16 x 10 that I might try.

Comment

• Sea Haven
                      • Jun 2013

Mine is coupled to the Walther "V" drive"

Other Walther "V" drive" owners take heed........

This is STRAIGHT from the manufacturers mouth, no interpretation needed.

Ed,

For the V-Drive, it would be preferable for the shaft to be locked or to use a "feathering prop" while sailing. In either case, this would prevent the V-Drive from turning and building up heat and wearing internal parts. If the V-Drive is allowed to "free wheel", it is important for the V-Drive to have sufficient cooling water so that it does not get too hot.

I hope this information is helpful !
                      Don
                      THE WALTER MACHINE COMPANY, INC.
                      - Established 1927 -
                      84 - 98 Cambridge Ave
                      Jersey City, NJ 07307 | USA
                      201 656 5654 - Main
                      201 656 0318 - Facsimile
                      DonC@waltergear.com

Disclaimer: This message from The Walter Machine Co., Inc. and any attachments may
                      contain confidential information. This is intended for the company or individual named above.
                      If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and then delete it from your system
                      immediately; please do not forward, copy, print, use or disclose this communication to others.
                      Please consider the environment before printing

FWIW, Gori prop is in the budget for next season.

"Sub" Ed
                      SY SEA HAVEN
                      1978 Pearson 323, #124

Comment

Working...
                      X