X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marty Levenson
    • Nov 2004

vibration in forward vs reverse

I am finding that there is almost no vibration in neutral or reverse, but it's slightly noticeable in forward. Haul out next week, so will look for zinc or prop anomalies. Is this likely a symptom of bad alignment?

Thanks!

Marty
    Marty
    1967 Tartan 27
    Bowen Island, BC

sigpic
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

Could be, but it could also be a bent shaft. But before looking at that make sure the prop is clean and not bent. At haul out grab the shaft and check for lateral movement; more than 1/16" is a problem developing. Also check your 4 motor mount points for close to even weight distribution. If two diagonal mounts are carrying most of the weight the engine can vibrate. At haul out take picture of prop if you cannot clean it in the water. We will refrain from discussing pilot bearings.

Comment

• Marty Levenson
      • Nov 2004

new shaft

Thanks Hanley,

It is a brand new shaft and cutlass bearing, so not likely....but always possible. Went through all that middle of last summer. I'm thinking uneven weight distribution might make sense. Hoping the zinc is awry. BTW it is 2:1 reduction, not V-drive....if that matters.
      Marty
      1967 Tartan 27
      Bowen Island, BC

sigpic

Comment

• Wisakedjack
        • May 2015

Originally posted by Marty Levenson View Post
        I am finding that there is almost no vibration in neutral or reverse, but it's slightly noticeable in forward. Haul out next week, so will look for zinc or prop anomalies. Is this likely a symptom of bad alignment?

Thanks!

Marty
        For whatever its worth... I was finding a lot of vibration prior to finding an issue with the coupling http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/sh...ht=wisakedjack. Happy to report that vibration went away when the fix was done. Another possible source of vibration is the engine misalignment.
        Alex
        1976 Catalina 30
        Perth Amboy, NJ

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Nov 2008

Maybe you are running on 3 cylinders. Any lack of power?
          Feel the spark plugs to see if one is cooler than the other three after the engine has been running for awhile.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• tenders
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2007

I'd suggest ruling out prop fouling or zinc weirdness before you spend too much time worrying about more complex causes.

Comment

• Marty Levenson
              • Nov 2004

thanks

Thanks to all for the ideas. Yes - I will check the zinc and prop first.

I think I didn't state my question well. The vibration is not bad, just more noticeable than it used to be with our previous A4. My question really is what can make it worse in forward? it is has zero apparent vibration in reverse.
              Marty
              1967 Tartan 27
              Bowen Island, BC

sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

Once you have eliminated the prop the next step is to check alignment for greater than .003" out.

Comment

• sastanley
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Sep 2008

Marty, Keep in mind that the engine to prop rotation speed is probably not the same in reverse as compared to forward (without looking it up, if I remember on my direct drive it is 1.4:1 in reverse.)

I don't know the reverse ratio for a 2:1 fwd gear, but I would not expect it to be 2:1 in reverse also...but maybe someone can correct me.

Additionally, prop harmonics are different in reverse too, unless your prop blades are symmetrical in both directions of rotation...but I am pretty sure they aren't.

I don't know if I'd notice much vibration in reverse, because all I hear in is the gears screaming because the brake band has clamped the (I think) planetary gear on the outside and the sun gear is now spinning the other way..but the roar of the engine at 2,600+RPM sounds happy too, because I cannot get it that high in forward.

I am not arguing with you, just contemplating, and typing what my little brain is thinking on this fine spring Saturday evening!
                  Last edited by sastanley; 04-02-2016, 10:25 PM.
                  -Shawn
                  "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                  "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                  sigpic

Comment

• Al Schober
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Jul 2009

Marty,
                    A slight vibration going forward may be completely normal. In neutral, the shaft and prop aren't turning. In reverse, the flow into the prop is coming from aft with nothing to disturb it (unless your prop is in an aperture). Going ahead, the hull is in the way of the flow into the propeller and the flow is far from uniform. Big ships spend a LOT of money on multi-blade propellers with a lot of skew to the blades to reduce blade rate vibration.

Comment

• ndutton
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

Marty, do you observe any shaft or packing gland oscillation when in forward, even a little bit?
                      Neil
                      1977 Catalina 30
                      San Pedro, California
                      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• sastanley
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Sep 2008

Yeah..good thinking Neil. I have been able to feel vibration when I put my hand around my stuffing box...I couldn't see it, but I could feel it. Perhaps try the same exercise in reverse and maybe we can shed some light on the situation!

Now that is a little easier on my boat, since the stuffing box is at the bottom of the stairs in the middle of the galley floor.
                        -Shawn
                        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                        sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

As you know Shawn, the entire drive line - bearing system - alignment dynamic is very low tech and as drive lines go, very low RPM so we can get by with low tech. I expect vibration is more or less a fact of life, the goal is to minimize it the best we can.
                          Neil
                          1977 Catalina 30
                          San Pedro, California
                          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• jbsoukup
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Jan 2012

If you feel like throwing money at the problem, try a new coupler.
                            Loosening the set screws might make the vibration go away (just don't run in reverse!) and if it does, the coupler is bad.
                            sigpicjohn
                            '77 catalina 30 #783
                            the only way to be sure is to make sure

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Mar 2010

Another observation

Over the years I have found that it can make a difference how two halves of a coupler are joined. A three bolt pair will have three possibilities and a four bolt will have four. When I am aligning an engine I always make sure both mating surfaces are clean and oiled lightly with 3 in 1 machine oil. You might be surprised how rotating the shaft coupling can change the variation by .001" or even more in some cases. Try testing all possible positions of the couplings with respect to each other. You will find there is one that yields the least variance. Mark that position so that the pair can always be assembled the same way. Marty could try rotating one bolt position and re testing.

Comment

Working...
                              X