X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

Mike - Often cam bearings are overlooked on rebuilds because they rarely "fail". But when they get out to their max (.025") they will allow significant bleed off and reduction in available oil pressure. I strongly recommend you take the block to the machine shop for new cam bearings and have the cam fitted at minimum spec.

Comment

• marthur
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2004

Mike - Often cam bearings are overlooked on rebuilds because they rarely "fail". But when they get out to their max (.025") they will allow significant bleed off and reduction in available oil pressure.
      Excellent idea. This old motor is original, but it gives every impression of being very low time--so I have not had to replace rings, bearings or cam. It is a middle 1960's block but I learned that it had sat in storage for the vast majority of its life. I suspect someone got "diesel fever" in the 70's and swapped it out.
      Mike

Comment

• marthur
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2004

This may be interesting reading, though not specific to any particular post in this thread.
        Very nice!

Looks like I'll be keeping the prestolite distributor unless I want to fab up a new water jacket cover. I hesitate to do that because I like the multiple water ports on the early model cover.

Similar to the article, I also like the early model castings. I will probably go with the late model head for the thermostat, though.
        Mike

Comment

Working...
        X