X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

HalcyonS, It isn't quite that simple, but I cannot answer it for you completely. Some areas of the crankcase like the valves, it just splashes around, and apparently having the cover off does not affect oil pressure, and I guess the unpressurized oil trickles down there.

Someone else that has torn one apart in detail will have to explain further. I think that maybe the crankcase itself is pressurized, so that oil gets pressure fed into the cylinder walls and crankshaft/camshaft, etc. The Indigo system gets its feed from the OEM oil pressure sender 1/8" NPT hole and then is fed back in via the 3/4" hole just under the fuel pump. Older versions had a pickup tube (which in theory are great for pulling oil out for oil changes, but the newer ones do not...it just dumps in based on the newer diagrams.) I have the older style, but I still pull my 3-ish quarts out of the dip stick hole, because I am too lazy to engineer anything better.

So, if I understand correctly, the pressure valve in the older Indigo system up near the filter is likely a relief valve, and it keeps the crankcase pressurized and any extra/bleed off it lets into the oil filter, which in turn dumps into the sump. The Indigo kit comes with a couple of parts to bottom out (maximize) the pressure at the OEM oil pressure regulating valve in the engine block.
    Last edited by sastanley; 01-14-2014, 08:39 PM.
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

On the Right Track

There is a flow diagram on page 5-3 of the Moyer marine Service and Overhaul Manual. Notice that the relief valve is located in the block very near the pump. If you go to an externally relieved system (like the Indigo) the procedure is to "two block" the stock relief valve and relieve some place else. Bear in mind that because the oil system is dynamic pressures are not constant throughout.

Comment

• jpian0923
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2010

Oil circulation and description

"Jim"
        S/V "Ahoi"
        1967 Islander 29
        Harbor Island, San Diego
        2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date

Comment

• HalcyonS
          • Dec 2012

Thanks Jim (and Jerry), helpful.
          "Halcyon" 36' custom sloop. 8 tons. Glass over strip plank mahoghany. Spruce mast and booms, launched 1969. Original A4.

Comment

Working...
          X