X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rbyham
    • Jan 2013

Thanks for all the great support

We recently made a move to a larger and very different boat selling the HR28 and picking up a project Bombay Pilothouse 31. A VERY project boat indeed. It has sat in the water at slip and not moved under its own power since 2005. Divers had to first detach it from the bottom. :-)

Anyway the BP31 has a Yanmar in it so the diesel learning curve awaits. I just wanted to say thank you to a group of people who took me from zero on the A4 knowledge scale to something much more presentable. I remember the day I bought the 1966 HR28 with original and unknown condition A4. I knew the boat was right but had not a clue about the engine which over the first week became a bit of a terrifying situation. But run she did after 8 years on the hard. Probably due in at least part to a PO who faithfully kept MMO in her cylinders. After a few lessons learned right here on this forum she ran perfect and never missed a beat for the 2+ years I owned and sailed her typically 3x a week.

Sitting beside the running Yanmar as I write I already miss the barely perceptible sound of a properly running A4. Oh well there are always tradeoffs. So let me again say thanks to those here who were always quick with answers, counsel, or opinion. This is a great group of folks. Long live the A4 and this forum! I have pointed the new owner in this direction so you may well see more of the HR28 and that sweet engine... Thanks.
  • Administrator
    MMI Webmaster
    • Oct 2004

Thanks for all your contributions to the forum, Rick. We hope you will continue to hang around and participate as your time and interests allow.

Bill

Comment

• Rbyham
      • Jan 2013

Impolite of me to not include pic of new boat. Enjoy. She needs everything done. Will Haul her in Fall for bottom. Otherwise doing it all in water. Just now working on repacking stuffing box and replacing gland. Yep in water. ☺fifteen minutes ago got coupling bolts cutoff and out. Next step is pick-up parts separate coupling from shaft pull it all off and rebuild with bilge pump holding back Charleston harbor. ☺
      Attached Files

Comment

• Administrator
        MMI Webmaster
        • Oct 2004

It's not difficult to imagine her looking a whole lot better in a hurry!

Bill

Comment

• hanleyclifford
          Afourian MVP
          • Mar 2010

Looks like a nice cruising boat. If the yanmar fails, consider going to A4 power for half the price of a yanmar.

Comment

• tomsailmaker
            • Nov 2009

Hi something that might help you along with cleaning up the topsides is a product called (ON AND OFF) by Mary kate. I used it a few years ago and feel it is THE BEST product out of a bottle I have ever used, fellow the instructions and it works with very little effort.
            Good luck with the new boat

Comment

• Administrator
              MMI Webmaster
              • Oct 2004

I use on the waterline, and it is great. Never thought of using it topsides, but will now!

Bill

Originally posted by tomsailmaker View Post
              Hi something that might help you along with cleaning up the topsides is a product called (ON AND OFF) by Mary kate. I used it a few years ago and feel it is THE BEST product out of a bottle I have ever used, fellow the instructions and it works with very little effort.
              Good luck with the new boat

Comment

• Rbyham
                • Jan 2013

See you guys just cant help yourselves but be helpful.... Yes if the Yanmar fails I can see me hunting another A4. And the topsides already do look better just two weeks after taking possession. I did not use the On and Off but have heard it works wonders. I am presently replacing some bad sole, as well as the stuffing box/gland work. The Yanmar did start after fresh fuel and bleeding. It appears to be a good engine. Rigging will be next and it all goes. I watched this boat in our marina for two years thinking it might not be the best sailer but it does make for a favorable cruiser and entertaining type boat. Thanks again...

Comment

• sastanley
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Administrator View Post
                  I use on the waterline, and it is great. Never thought of using it topsides, but will now!

Bill
                  I've used it on the topsides (hull) too, and it works great...My understanding is that it is basically oxacylic (sp?) acid in a bottle..The stuff will burn your skin and nasal passages..don't use it in a t-shirt.
                  Last edited by sastanley; 02-17-2015, 10:47 PM.
                  -Shawn
                  "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                  "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                  sigpic

Comment

• Rod Worrell
                    • Oct 2004

Is that a main sail furler just visible on the mast? If so, will be an easier rig to handle. Keep us posted with your progress (and some pics). Like you and Bill, we can see her potential.

Comment

• edwardc
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
                      I've used it on the topsides (hull) too, and it works great...My understanding is that it is basically oxacylic (sp?) acid in a bottle..The stuff will burn your skin and nasal passages..don't use it in a t-shirt.
                      Also, it will do a number on bottom paint if you use it on the topsides while on the hard. You need to tape on a "drip skirt" at the waterline so it doesn't run down the hull.
                      @(^.^)@ Ed
                      1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
                      with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• Rbyham
                        • Jan 2013

Yes both main and jib are Furler. The old Hyde style. The jib is actually the forestay too. It ha no wire inside. Just a solid bar of aluminum extrusion. I will be watching that carefully as I bring her on line.

Spent yesterday trying to grind off shaft coupling. It all has to come off because the rubber gland is leaking badly and compromised from nearby diesel leak. So shaft has to come off, replace gland and new stuffing. You guys would laugh at my temp emergency fix of the gland. See pic. I took a plastic bottle, cut both ends off, and sleeved it with clamps. Leaked stopped giving me time to replace whole thing. And yep I am doing this in water. ☺
                        Attached Files

Comment

• sastanley
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Sep 2008

necessity is the mother of invention..or something like that.

I always say, use any and all means necessary to keep seawater on the correct side of the hull.
                          -Shawn
                          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X