• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Administrator
    MMI Webmaster
    • Oct 2004

Adding versus removing

This is probably what an old boss of mine used to refer to as "a blinding flash of the obvious," but when confronted with suspect fuel, adding good stuff just increases the quantity of fuel you'll eventually want to get out of the tank.

As was mentioned in an earlier thread, it's that last gallon or two that are the most troublesome. Get the bad stuff out BEFORE adding good stuff, right?

Bill
  • rigspelt
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2008

The debate about storing with a full versus empty tank goes on, but I've decided to empty the tank each fall and drain the carb (although not much room now for the later, given the presence of the oil sump kit I added) and fuel lines, keeping care not to let grit get into the fuel system. Plusses and minusses both ways (like condensation in the tank over winter), but on balance I think that's my comfort zone.

Advantages of draining our small sailboat:
    1. Gets crud from the tank bottom,if any.
    2. Allows to me see if any crud accumulating in tank.
    3. Fuel does not sit and varnish.
    4. Filters need replacing anyway, particularly the primary fuel/water separator.
    5. Encourages visual inspection of the fuel system.
    6. Start spring with new fuel in system.
    1974 C&C 27

Comment

• Administrator
      MMI Webmaster
      • Oct 2004

I was referring to a situation where the engine is not running properly (or at all), rather than the question of extended storage. Having said that, I would agree with all the points you made.

My general approach is to have less fuel in the tank, rather than more, and turn it over frequently.

Bill

Comment

• ArtJ
        • Sep 2009

The problem with a partially filled tank is that the crud at the bottom can get stirred up and sucked into the engine more readily.

The second problem with partially filled is that it provides room for moisture to
        enter the tank.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
          Afourian MVP
          • Mar 2010

If I used my engine the way most of the platoon seems to (that is, mostly as a means to get in and out of the slip) I would positively find a way to use a removeable plastic outboard tank mounted below decks pusuant to all USCG regulations. Save the main tanks for the long cruises. It pays to have 2 main tanks also; then you can run one dry and switch over.

Comment

• ArtJ
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
            If I used my engine the way most of the platoon seems to (that is, mostly as a means to get in and out of the slip) I would positively find a way to use a removeable plastic outboard tank mounted below decks pusuant to all USCG regulations. Save the main tanks for the long cruises. It pays to have 2 main tanks also; then you can run one dry and switch over.
            Hanley, as you freqently do, you make an excellent point!!!!

Regards

Art

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

Art - This is how I did it, though for a very different reason.
              Last edited by hanleyclifford; 07-13-2016, 08:36 PM.

Comment

• ArtJ
                • Sep 2009

Is it possible to install a inspection port in a existing installed ss 26 gal tank
                safely and sufficiently large enough to facilitate readily cleaning the inside?

What port or cover would work and how would the opening be safely cut?

Comment

• Administrator
                  MMI Webmaster
                  • Oct 2004

Here's one solution.

Does your tank have baffles?

Bill

Comment

• ArtJ
                    • Sep 2009

Don't believe mine does, but what does baffles have to do with adding
                    a inspection port to faciliate draining and cleaning?

Art

Comment

Working...
                    X