X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob N
    • Jul 2005

Indigo PCV question

I recently installed an Indigo PCV system on my engine. It eliminated oil smoke in the engine compartment. But I seem to have a problem: I think I have the idle adjusted OK, but I now have a pronounced "flat spot" when I accelerate. The engine bogs down at about 1/4 to 1/3 throttle and then speeds up after I continue pushing the throttle forward. Will enriching the idle adjustment help?

The engine also stalled this weekend while running at cruising speed. I suspect a bit of water in the carb or a bit of crud in the carb jet. It cleared after a few minutes and seemed to run fine. (I will try opening the main passage plug to see if I have any water in the carb.) The previous weekend it ran fine with the new Indigo PCV valve, so I don't think the stalling was related to the PCV valve.
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

The PCV valve does constitute a vacuum leak and you will have to turn the idle jet screw slightly clockwise to compensate.

Comment

• Al Schober
      Afourian MVP
      • Jul 2009

Hanley,
      I think you meant clockwise - to cut down the air flow. The idle jet controls air, not fuel.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
        • Jan 2007

Try a tic of adv.

Bob, try a couple of degrees of advance. Rotate the distributor bout 1/8" around the od of the cap. This may get rid of the flat spot. I have been using one for many years and have had no issues at all~~ very pleased having cleaner air at the same time.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2008

And the race is on!

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

My PCV valve does not seem to do this. I doubt the cruise speed stall was related. For the other, try adjusting the mixture.
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

• Bob N
              • Jul 2005

Thanks.

I'll try your suggestions.

Comment

• ndutton
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

It's admirable the guys here are trying to help but maybe a call to Indigo is in order. After all, it's their product. I'm sure they have some sort of customer service.
                Last edited by ndutton; 09-18-2013, 10:45 PM.
                Neil
                1977 Catalina 30
                San Pedro, California
                prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• roadnsky
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                  It's admirable the guys here are trying to help but maybe a call to Indigo is in order. After all, it's their product. I'm sure they have some sort of customer service.
                  Do I dare pick at the scab?
                  Should I point him to the "you-know-what" thread?
                  -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
                  sigpic
                  1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• ndutton
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

Do I dare pick at the scab?
                    Darn it, I've tried to exhibit a little restraint this time and so far the meds are working but there's a limit and I've been known to have a hair trigger so fair warning.

As I said, the generous assistance of the members here is as always commendable but it's interesting when a customer seeks out problem solving from the competition's resource. I don't mean to single out this instance, it's actually quite common around here.
                    Last edited by ndutton; 09-19-2013, 09:50 AM.
                    Neil
                    1977 Catalina 30
                    San Pedro, California

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Bob N View Post
                      I recently installed an Indigo PCV system on my engine. It eliminated oil smoke in the engine compartment. But I seem to have a problem: I think I have the idle adjusted OK, but I now have a pronounced "flat spot" when I accelerate. The engine bogs down at about 1/4 to 1/3 throttle and then speeds up after I continue pushing the throttle forward. Will enriching the idle adjustment help? The engine also stalled this weekend while running at cruising speed. I suspect a bit of water in the carb or a bit of crud in the carb jet. It cleared after a few minutes and seemed to run fine. (I will try opening the main passage plug to see if I have any water in the carb.) The previous weekend it ran fine with the new Indigo PCV valve, so I don't think the stalling was related to the PCV valve.

IMO.........
                      Get the water and KRAP out of the carb and fuel system then go from there.
                      The PVC valve could be a red herring. Or it may be sticky. Or it may be the wrong one.
                      Changing the idle won't help the engine run better at 1/3 throttle.

TRUE GRIT
                      Last edited by JOHN COOKSON; 09-19-2013, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• edwardc
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Aug 2009

In my experience, the "flat spot" usually comes at the transition from the idle circuit to the main jet.

I got rid of mine by a combination of getting the mixture right (confirmed with a fuel:air ratio gauge) and a small advance in timing.
                        @(^.^)@ Ed
                        1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
                        with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• joe_db
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

We do a *lot* of homebrew inovation on here that takes away from Moyer selling their bits. Moyer Marine is extraordinarily tolerant of this. THANKS
                          They also are not losing out on PCV sales, since they don't have one

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                          Darn it, I've tried to exhibit a little restraint this time and so far the meds are working but there's a limit and I've been known to have a hair trigger so fair warning.

As I said, the generous assistance of the members here is as always commendable but it's interesting when a customer seeks out problem solving from the competition's resource. I don't mean to single out this instance, it's actually quite common around here.
                          Joe Della Barba
                          Coquina
                          C&C 35 MK I
                          Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2009

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
                            They (MMI) also are not losing out on PCV sales, since they don't have one
                            My point had nothing to do with loss of sales but rather how fortunate for Indigo that their problem solving is available here.
                            Last edited by ndutton; 09-19-2013, 09:44 PM.
                            Neil
                            1977 Catalina 30
                            San Pedro, California

Comment

• tony201
                              • Jan 2009

I agree , I think it is OK to use the I word HERE , IT'S ALSO A PART OF WHAT MAKES THE LITTLE FOUR BANGER OF OURS WORKA LITTLE BETTER SUCH AS THE 3 BLADE PROP

Comment

Working...
                              X