Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark Millbauer
    • Sep 2008

I would like to get in line for the old engine. I am in PNW.

Mark
    Mark
    C30 "Kismet"

Comment

• Baltimore Sailor
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2007

I can't imagine dumping an A4 and spending $3500 on an outboard for the sake of a side plate.

A trip to South America seems like a lot of blue water to be depending on an outboard for auxiliary power. But I'm no blue water sailor, so my opinion doesn't mean much. Is an outboard a common feature on blue water boats?

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

Yes, for the dink.

Comment

• lordpaul
          Frequent Contributor
          • Sep 2010

I've now taken most of the engine apart and it's ready to be hauled out at the moment I'm still replacing a4 for a 20 outboard anyone interested in the a4 start the bidding.

Comment

• Mark Millbauer
            • Sep 2008

Where are you or the A4 located?
            Mark
            C30 "Kismet"

Comment

• lordpaul
              Frequent Contributor
              • Sep 2010

The boat is located in the east bay of sf

Comment

• lordpaul
                Frequent Contributor
                • Sep 2010

atomic 4 for sale

i have a atomic 4 for sale, runs great im selling it because i found a hole in the side plate by the alternator can be repaired but havent got the time. offers invited

Comment

• sailbristol
                  • Jan 2009

fix the A4

an outboard is going to be a real headache ; it can get swamped by following seas and is almost useless in any thing but flat water as the prop will come out of the water all the time in any sea just when you might need it most

Comment

• Laker
                    • Sep 2010

" have a atomic 4 for sale, runs great im selling it because i found a hole in the side plate by the alternator can be repaired but havent got the time. offers invited "

No disrespect intended , but this makes no sense.

Pulling your inboard , retiring the controls , hoses , wiring , etc. , then re-wiring a power supply for your batteries and plumbing a fuel supply for the outboard is no small task! (you're not considering a plastic tank in the cockpit , are you?) Then you have to drill holes in your transom ( !!! ) and hang an outboard. And when you are done , the net value of your boat has suffered.

Repair your Atomic Four.

Laker
                    1966 Columbia 34 SABINA

Comment

• Jesse Delanoy
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Dec 2006

Isn't there anyone with any smarts over there at the Encinal Yacht Club who can tell you how to fix this Atomic Four? Geez, my dad would roll over in his grave.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                        • Nov 2008

Sell The A4?

Originally posted by lordpaul View Post
                        i have a atomic 4 for sale, runs great im selling it because i found a hole in the side plate by the alternator can be repaired but havent got the time. offers invited
                        I've been loosing sleep over this.
                        If the engine "runs great" why spend the time purchasing and installing a new engine when the side plate is such an easy fix?

This doesn't compute.
                        Only my opinion.

Paraphrase of Laker in post #24.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Mo
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Jun 2007

I would do the repair on the A-4. I had a C&C 24 prior to the 30. The 24 had a 9.9 outboard longshaft. It was fine in flat water, however, when I got in a bit of swell that prop was in and out of the water. You are in SF right?? I believe you will have the same issue in the ocean.

Another thing. When the engine is lifted and you are sailing, the up and down force is significant and they break brackets etc.

Seriously look at your A4 again.

Good luck
                          Mo
                          Mo

"Odyssey"
                          1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                          The optimist expects it to change.
                          The realist adjusts the sails.
                          ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Wasn't Me
                            Frequent Contributor
                            • Mar 2011

Well, I weigh about what your Atomic 4 weighs.

To put things in perspective. So if I were on your boat, my leaving the cockpit would have a bad effect on your boat's stability?

No, don't worry about it. It will barely affect your trim and your GM... not enough to worry about. Of course you will probably be removing the fuel tank too... hey, does burning 250 lbs of fuel mess with your stability? Not enough to lose sleep over. Well, I guess you would leave your fuel tank alone since you can use it for your outboard.

The 15HP will be adequate unless you really do motor a lot. My Cal 2-27 is currently pushed by a 6HP outboard until I get around to fixing the atom bomb.

You could always add some weight down there. Fresh water tank? Genset? Hot tub? Actually that would be really cool to have a hot tub on a sailboat. Am I serious? Hey, it's your boat. Do it like you feel it. Another name for "battery" is "ballast". Which leads to the idea of possibly installing a 48VDC electric drive, if you mostly just use your motor for entering or leaving the slip. Kw/hrs are cheaper than gallons of gas. Charge up at the slip, motor silently out of the marina, getcher sails up, pass a good day using free wind energy, sail back home and use the silent, exhaust-free electric again for docking. Just an idea.

I bet for what a new 15HP outboard and a good outboard motor mount costs, you could find a running engine to swap out for the atomic... either another A4 or a diesel. but if you have to pull the engine and not replace it, I'm sure you got lots of stuff you could put back there to replace the weight. Though again, I wouldn't be too concerned. If your boat was a 22 foot light displacement wind rocket, yeah. But not as heavy a boat as your Cal.

The main benefit of the outboard, as I see it, is you could take your sweet time shopping for a replacement engine, and swap it out at your leisure while still having mechanical propulsion available. Then keep the outboard for backup, or sell it.

Comment

• Wasn't Me
                              Frequent Contributor
                              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Maurice View Post
                              I would do the repair on the A-4. I had a C&C 24 prior to the 30. The 24 had a 9.9 outboard longshaft. It was fine in flat water, however, when I got in a bit of swell that prop was in and out of the water. You are in SF right?? I believe you will have the same issue in the ocean.

Another thing. When the engine is lifted and you are sailing, the up and down force is significant and they break brackets etc.

Seriously look at your A4 again.

Good luck
                              Mo
                              I feel your pain, regarding the outboard in a sea or swell. If I had to do it again, I would have mounted mine at least a half foot lower.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                                Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                                • Jan 2007

Question

Do you guys worry about the performance and stability characteristics when you have quests aboard and the move for and aft or OMG they go below.
                                The outboard will work fine "if you get it deep enough" while hanging on the transom.
                                Draining and leaving the A-4 inplace until you are ready to rebuild would be easier than moving the A-4 about. If removed though you will have a bit of additional storage.
                                I think you guys are worring to much about 300 l pounds in a 10,000 pound boat. Ten pounds at the top of the rig would probably make a bigger differance.
                                My $02. OK guys pick me apart on this one I just had to say this.
                                Dave Neptune
                                Oops just checked the dates and decided to press submit.

Comment

Working...
                                X