X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clucas
    • Apr 2007

Indigo vs. Martec folding 2-blade vs. fixed 2-blade

I currently have a Martec folding 2-blade prop on my P30 and am frustrating by the poor reverse performance. The previous owner provided a fixed 2-blade Michigan, but I want to consider an Indigo based on the positive feedback I read here.

Question: How much of a performance hit should I expect under sail with a 3-blade vs. a folding 2-blade? Is the reverse performance that much better? I'm on a mooring and don't use reverse too often, but certainly want it when I need it. Am I likely to see a marked improved in reverse if I switch to the fixed 2 blade?

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions.
  • High Hopes
    Afourian MVP
    • Feb 2008

I have no personal experience with any props other than the 2 blade one on my Sabre 28.

But I have been following this item for some time on various forums. From what I have read of others' experiences, the fixed props do better in reverse, both 2 and 3 blade, than folding props. There is a little less prop walk with a 3 blade.

Most "wows" I read regarding the Indigo prop are about smoother running in forward. The three blades grab the water better, the prop has a smaller diameter, and is probably better balanced than the older clunkers most of us are using.

The Indigo 3 blade isn't much bigger than most folks' 2 blade props and I haven’t seen any reporting of additional drag. If you are a cruiser, this must be true; I can’t speak for racers.
    Last edited by High Hopes; 08-15-2010, 10:43 PM.

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Originally posted by Clucas View Post
      I currently have a Martec folding 2-blade prop on my P30 and am frustrating by the poor reverse performance.
      You've hit on the knock on folding props, that being poor performance in reverse. Goes with the territory.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• msmith10
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2006

I can't tell you exactly how big a hit you take on the Indigo prop vs the Martec as far as sailing performance goes, but you WILL take a hit. Different handicap systems offer different amounts of handicap for 3 blade vs 2 blade vs folding or feathering props, but our Lake Erie PHRF system gives 12 seconds per mile for a 3 blade fixed prop, and this does not make up for the loss in speed under sail. Now, if you're cruising, this is no big deal, but if you race, it is a huge difference. I know there are many reports on this forum that "I don't notice any difference in sailing performance" with the Indigo, which may be true over a fixed 2-blade prop, but it is most certainly not true over a folder. Look, racers will spend almost any amount of money for a little speed edge. 12 seconds per mile is not a little speed edge. If the Indigo gave a sailing speed loss of less than 12 seconds per mile, every racer in the country would be using one and pocketing the handicap difference.
        I am not knocking the Indigo. If I didn't race or didn't care if I won races, I'd have one. If cruising was more important to me than racing, I'd have one. If I was constantly fighting heavy currents, I'd have one.
        Mark Smith
        1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

• David Masury
          • Oct 2004

I have Martec 2 bladed folding prop and 15 years experience with it.. the prop moves my boat forward fine, easily at 5 1/2 knots without the A4 working hard, I can do another knot, but that most wastes fuel.

Reverse is less than perfect, you have to plan ahead, but it will slow the boat down and it will move you backwards. I have yet to see the need to change to a fixed prop.

If I were sailing a heavier cruiser type of boat I might want a fixed prop just to have more control in going backwards or using the prop as a brake, but I rarely parallel park my sailboat and try to stay away from docks in general.

David

Comment

• sastanley
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2008

Mark has given a good synopsis..If I was racing, I'd have a folder & I would deal with the reverse issues. I am not, so I switched from a 12 x 7 fixed two blade to the Indigo this summer. I've only a couple of cruises under my belt with the new prop...but this weekend it performed great plowing into 3 - 4' waves with a reefed main. We tacked the boat thru the waves and were able to maintain 5 knots most of the time at 2,000 RPM.

Again..with only a few hours of sailing, there is no noticeable difference in drag between the two fixed blade props. We made a 35 mile passage from Solomons to Oxford in 6h 15m on a Catalina 30 Friday evening...motor sailing into it for an hour, reaching (FAST) up the Bay and then a 2+ hour beat up the Choptank River in the dark. For this particular sailing adventure, having the Indigo to punch out of the Patuxent River was nice, and in a stiff breeze (13-15) we didn't really notice the extra drag of the 3-blade Indigo. If I recall, Tom Stevens says the 10" Indigo only has about 8 - 9 % more surface area than a typical 2-blade prop. The only disadvantage to the 3-blade is you can't 'hide' it behind the keel/strut. However, one of the other factors I also realized last year, is that even though I had it marked I never bothered to 'set' the 2-blade prop vertical.

The trick with a folder, since they back so crappily, is to really get the revs up and get the boat moving...enough so you get flow over the foils and then the keel will stop side slip and the rudder actually works...then you can back off the throttle and get (in)to your destination. Giving yourself room to get going (since you know the propwash will kick you around at first) helps a lot, then you can drive effectively. Hang onto the tiller/wheel!
            Last edited by sastanley; 08-16-2010, 11:01 AM. Reason: thought organization
            -Shawn
            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
            sigpic

Comment

• Michael Edwards
              • May 2010

I went from a 12x9 two blabe to the Indigo 10x7 three blade. On our E-32 the engine performance was as good as promised. Sailing penalty became clear when pitted against an old rival; thirty minutes into a race to Ocracoke we could barely see the fleet. We were not in the lead.
              I had to purchase another Indigo due to quick corosion. The tips were gone in the first year. I am fairly sure that it was from stray current in the marina.
              I have since aquired a galvanic isolator and replaced my AC panel and charger. I will install the new prop in September.
              I too am interested in a two blade folder(FlexOFold). Yachting Monthly did an interesting test article on various props.
              S/V AnnaDor

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

Michael Edwards - Sounds like you play in salt water. Suggest you put a prop nut zinc on that Indigo. Regards, Hanley

Comment

• smosher
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Jun 2006

I'm in the saltwater with the Indigo prop and I use a zinc. I haven't seen any
                  corrosion. The cost of the zinc is short money.

Comment

• ArtJ
                    • Sep 2009

I have had the Indigo installed on my Tartan 34C for over ten years. The
                    boat orignally had a 12 x 9 prop with 3 blades. It would do 6 knots at 1700 rpm ,calm seas only. The boat backed up great,but
                    lugged badily in steep short chop only capable of doing 3 knots or less.

Since installing the Indigo prop, I
                    can easily punch thru chop at 5 knots or better with some rpm reserve.

The indigo does not back as well as the original prop as it requires more rpm to begin moving in reverse, but still more than worth it when you need to punch thru seas.
                    With the old prop
                    I could only get 1700 rpm from the engine. Now I cruise at 5.8 knots at
                    1900 rpm (moderate conditions ) and have a reserve of up to 2400 rpm and 6.7 knots( flat calm) or 5 knots plus in a nasty chop when really really needed.

Tom Stevens made the first Indigo prop for his Tartan 34c, I believe I was
                    his first customer for my(also a Tartan 34c ) installation. The prop is stainless and I always
                    use a donut zinc. I have had zero wear in 11 seasons.

Regards

Arr

Comment

Working...
                    X