X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Is the head loose? The head is what the lifting eye attaches to.
    What is that goo under the head?
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• Sailrite
      • Sep 2015

I had to pry the head up to that point. The gasket was really stuck. The Goo is gasket and PB blaster.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

Do you have a plan for how to proceed from this point? Once the head is off you will not be able to use a lift from the top. Do you plan to move the engine aft and then turn it onto the flywheel housing? Or are you able to lift the engine by hand, pan, crank etc still installed?

Comment

• Sailrite
          • Sep 2015

I need to slide it out of the engine compartment. I can't lift it strait up. I'll then lift it to the cockpit using straps. Reposition it so I can lift it off the boat.

I'm also thinking that i can reinstall the lifting bracket if i need too. I was surprised that the head is so hard to get off.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
            Afourian MVP
            • Mar 2010

Don't forget to drain the oil before lifting - a slight tilt forward and you could have a mess. I would advise against using the head studs for lifting with the head removed. The strap idea is good. Run a line to the output shaft for 3 point control.

Comment

• Sailrite
              • Sep 2015

Does anyone know about removing the head? Is it normal for it to be really hard to remove?

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Sailrite View Post
                Does anyone know about removing the head? Is it normal for it to be really hard to remove?
                It is normal and especially on late heads. The two studs that double as fasteners for the thermostat housing are usually the problem. Light machine oil or even PB Blaster drizzled down the studs can help. It is important to raise the head evenly for greatest ease of removal. Be patient and try to avoid using sharp tools that can damage the mating surfaces. Some members use wooden wedges.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                  Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                  • Nov 2008

If you can turn the engine with the starter loosen\remove the nuts on the studs put the spark plugs in and crank the engine to see if you can loosen the head a bit.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Sailrite
                    • Sep 2015

Thanks. I had to use a jack to move the head up just to get a flat putty knife between the head and block. I removed the thermostat studs and all but one stud on the left side came out with the nuts.
                    Could there be that much rust on the studs or is it that tight of a fit? Probably both?
                    Last edited by Sailrite; 10-05-2015, 07:26 PM.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
                      Light machine oil or even PB Blaster drizzled down the studs can help.
                      Light tapping on the studs along with PB Blaster (or your favorite goop) will help also. Don't peen the ends of the studs but if you do you can cut them off or grind the peen away.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• edwardc
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
                        Light tapping on the studs along with PB Blaster (or your favorite goop) will help also. Don't peen the ends of the studs but if you do you can cut them off or grind the peen away.

TRUE GRIT
                        Don't tap straight down on the studs, tap them from the sides in all directions. I usually thread a nut on loosely and tap on that instead of the stud directly in order to preserve the threads.
                        This procedure will help the PBBlaster (or whatever penetrant you're using) to work its way in.
                        Once you have the head partway up, you can use wooden wedges in from the side into the gap between the head and the block to pry it up without damaging the surfaces. You have to keep the head fairly level as you do this or it will bind on the studs.
                        @(^.^)@ Ed
                        1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
                        with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• Sailrite
                          • Sep 2015

Engine is out! Now I just have to get it apart.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• lat 64
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Sailrite View Post
                            I agree with Hanley that the $180 is worth the cost. However, there are lots of us in the Chesapeake area that never mind helping. Ajax is on the West River, there are a few on the Eastern Shore and I am an hour-ish south of Annapolis. Might be a fun Saturday project if we are not too busy with our own boats.

Thanks I haven't pulled the boat out yet. I will in the next week or so.

I love fixing old stuff. I used to have International Harvester Scouts. Hence the name of my boat "Scout". I used the decal from the truck for the lettering.
                            I also fixed up old Lambretta scooters and early model honda cb motorcycles.

Talking to people that know what they are doing is always a great help.

Thanks again, and i may take you up on that and if not that at least some advice.

Oooooh, Honda cb. Waaay back when, I had a 350 sl that we kluged motocross bars and knobby tires on and thrashed the woods with. We called it an 350 SOB. A very dependable bike. The cb 360 not so.

Welcome,

Russ
                            sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• Sailrite
                              • Sep 2015

So the engine is out. I tried to remove the head. I tried the wooden shims, PB blaster, heat , tapping with a hammer, still not budging. I'm going to try the welding the nut on the stud next. Unless someone has some other tricks.

Thanks

Comment

• Sailrite
                                • Sep 2015

Originally posted by lat 64 View Post
                                Oooooh, Honda cb. Waaay back when, I had a 350 sl that we kluged motocross bars and knobby tires on and thrashed the woods with. We called it an 350 SOB. A very dependable bike. The cb 360 not so.

Welcome,

Russ
                                Nice. I have motocross handle bars on one of my cb750s, no knobby tires. Great bikes.

Comment

Working...
                                X