X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kemp Dawson
    • Mar 2005

Engine shut down after 4 hours of running

I had the unfortunate luck to have my engine sputter once then twice and then shut down after 4 hours of running. I had plenty of fuel, oil, coolant, electronic ignition, and a fairly new coil that is 5 years old.
    After letting it set for a half hour being towed by a friend, I started the engine without any sputter but then it died an hour later again in the same manner.
    This is a first for me after owning the boat for 9 years. Where do I start trouble shooting? Coil or ignition system?
    It seems to be heat related even though the engine didn't over heat.
  • CalebD
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

Coil issue

Kemp,
    Most likely the coil overheating causing the intermittent shut down times. Lots of threads on this forum about this. Search for: "coil" "shut down" etc
    Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
    A4 and boat are from 1967

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Nov 2008

Next time this happens quick quick as possible, before the coil has a chance to cool down, pull the big center lead out of the distributor and hold it near the engine while a crew member turns the engine over with the starter to see if you have spark.
      This will let us know if you have fuel system problem or an ignition system problem.
      Electronic ignitions need a coil with higher resistance than a points based system because of the increase dwell that comes with an EI. This could very well be the problem. By any chance do you know if you have a 4 ohm coil?

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

Check your voltage at coil+ --- hot and running.

Comment

• Kemp Dawson
          • Mar 2005

Thanks for the help. I am going after the coil and checking voltages. I am glad it's simple to work on.

Comment

• Mo
            Afourian MVP
            • Jun 2007

Check wiring to ignition as well. I'm no officianato at the electrical but a friend of mine had issues within the past week while cruising...his boat came home on a 5th wheel trailer to the tune of a couple of K.

Burned the ignition to coil wire. Burned up his coils (3) despite having a1.5 ohm external resistor. Rick is no dummie when it comes to electrical so read though the coil issue threads and ensure you understand what is what. Rick wiring was probably original or undersized....who knows...I didn't even climb the ladder on her yet. I'd never wish an electrical problem on anyone.
            Mo

"Odyssey"
            1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
            The optimist expects it to change.
            The realist adjusts the sails.
            ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

Working...
            X