X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

This is the improved Crane Cams (Indigo) unit if you swing that way.
    Free Shipping - Crane Cams 3000-0231 with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Electronic Distributor Conversion Kits at Summit Racing.
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• Don Moyer
      • Oct 2004

Ignitor II

Joe, we were informed by Pertronix quite a few years ago that they continued to recommend the standard Ignitor for the Atomic 4 fleet mostly because the improvements on their Ignitor II didn't manifest until engine speed exceeded 2000 RPM. Don

Comment

• joe_db
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

The improvements of a stronger spark at high RPMS is not the issue. The LOWER dwell angle at LOW RPMs is what we need. Also nice that it turns itself off if you leave the ignition on. Trying to send business your way

Originally posted by Don Moyer View Post
        Joe, we were informed by Pertronix quite a few years ago that they continued to recommend the standard Ignitor for the Atomic 4 fleet mostly because the improvements on their Ignitor II didn't manifest until engine speed exceeded 2000 RPM. Don
        Joe Della Barba
        Coquina
        C&C 35 MK I
        Maryland USA

Comment

• Don Moyer
          • Oct 2004

Ignitor IIs

Thanks Joe, I'll review the case with Pertronix again. It's entirely possibly that I missed something in the past. Don

Comment

• hanleyclifford
            Afourian MVP
            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
            The improvements of a stronger spark at high RPMS is not the issue. The LOWER dwell angle at LOW RPMs is what we need. Also nice that it turns itself off if you leave the ignition on. Trying to send business your way
            Certainly the standard Igniter does get the job done, as Don implied, and I would only add - so long as sufficient resistance is put in front of the coil. Still, the low rpm reduced dwell of the Igniter ii could permit a lower value resister provided the lower amperage at higher rpm sufficiently compensates for the increased dwell. This question is not as much a simple "one size fits all" matter as some might think. But there is no denying that the unit sold thru the on line catalogue gets the job done for the Atomic 4.

Comment

• joe_db
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

The model II version does not need a resistor and I think the manual states it will not work with a ballast resistor. It has some kind of internal current control to work with standard or low resistance coils.

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
              Certainly the standard Igniter does get the job done, as Don implied, and I would only add - so long as sufficient resistance is put in front of the coil. Still, the low rpm reduced dwell of the Igniter ii could permit a lower value resister provided the lower amperage at higher rpm sufficiently compensates for the increased dwell. This question is not as much a simple "one size fits all" matter as some might think. But there is no denying that the unit sold thru the on line catalogue gets the job done for the Atomic 4.
              Joe Della Barba
              Coquina
              C&C 35 MK I
              Maryland USA

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

The model II version does not need a resistor and I think the manual states it will not work with a ballast resistor. It has some kind of internal current control to work with standard or low resistance coils.
                I would have to have that demonstrated to me considering the great diversity of alternator and other system voltages.

Comment

• joe_db
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

The experts at PerTronix are ready to help you choose the perfect high performance ignition and exhaust products. We're enthusiasts too!

I just looked and the manual shows a way to power the ignitor from 12 volts while still using a ballast resistor for the coil. Turns out you can keep it if you want to.

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
                  I would have to have that demonstrated to me considering the great diversity of alternator and other system voltages.
                  Joe Della Barba
                  Coquina
                  C&C 35 MK I
                  Maryland USA

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Mar 2010

http://pertronix.com/docs/instruction-sheets/91146A.pdf
                    I just looked and the manual shows a way to power the ignitor from 12 volts while still using a ballast resistor for the coil. Turns out you can keep it if you want to.
                    Both Figure 1 and 2 indicate "12 volts from ignition switch". That is as clear as mud and underscores why this discussion rages on. Who sends "12 volts" thru a 12 volt system?

Comment

Working...
                    X