X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dew
    • Mar 2010

No Forward

I then went for a 4 hour sail yesterday. As I was making my way back in I started the motor while sailing close hauled towards the marina. I go to put the boat in gear it feels as it shifts even makes a little sound like it is going in gear but then nothing. The transmission does shift from forward to reverse. I did not really check the reverse I am not sure there was much power I have checked the linkage appears Ok, I removed the plate on the transmission all appears well. I did adjust the clutch plates by one notch, no change. Should I be able to put the motor in forward gear by hand? I was not able to the angle is a little awkward but on a Catalina 30 there is plenty of room. It is not difficult to put it in gear using the shift lever.

I did not have any problem taking the boat out, nor have I had any problems with the transmission. What would be the next step trouble shooting this? I may take a quick dip in the water is needed.

Thanks in advance.
  • Al Schober
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2009

First thing I'd do is move the adjusting ring back where it was. Seems that wasn't the problem. Verify that the lock screw is there, keeping the ring from moving on it's own.
    While the cover is off, check that your shift linkage is moving the transmission all the way into forward. You should see the cone slide aft and the tips of the three fingers engage the groove in the cone.
    Last time I had a similar problem it was the shift cable. Turns out that the anchor point for the jacket near the transmission had come loose from the hull. Instead of the core moving forward, the jacket was just moving aft. Fwd would engage fine by moving the lever on the transmission, but not by moving the shift lever in the cockpit.
    If this doesn't help, let us know.

Comment

• dew
      • Mar 2010

Thanks for the reminder to put the clutch back. Looking back I think I turned it the wrong way. Other wise after checking and manually moving everything I put everything together and scratched my head. I then realized the shaft the was not spinning. It appears the shear pin did what it is suppose to do, it sheared. Why is yet to be determined.
      Thanks,
      Dwight

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

By "shear pin" I think you mean "key". It is improbable that the key sheared due to excessive power but there may be some other problem in the output coupling area such as a loose output shaft nut. When you take the couplings apart post us a picture.

Comment

• dew
          • Mar 2010

Yes I am referring to the key, which became a shear pin. You say
          "some other problem in the output coupling area such as a loose output shaft nut"
          I am in the next phase of trouble shooting. What other likely causes are we looking at? Yes, I will get some pictures.
          Thanks,
          Dwight

Comment

• dew
            • Mar 2010

Sorry to leave out that the shaft is not turning with the transmission in neutral. Which leads me to believe I have something wrapped on the prop and shaft. The water is getting pretty cool plus the visibility is very limited. I plan to go back Saturday and reconfirm. Maybe I can sneak in a short haul as they pull other boats.

Can anyone tell me where I can get a replacement key? Or what do I need size and thread?

Thanks,

Dwight
            76 Catalina 30
            Hull 199

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
              Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by dew View Post
              Sorry to leave out that the shaft is not turning with the transmission in neutral. (????????)(this is normal)
              Dwight
              76 Catalina 30
              Hull 199
              I think you mean turning by hand? Neutral can be elusive on an A4. Maybe with all the adjusting neutral is no longer where it once was.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Marty Levenson
                • Nov 2004

shaft not turning

It is possible to adjust the reversing band tight enough to override both forward and neutral. As they say, don't ask me how I know.

Don't haul out yet. Easier way to assess if a prop or stuffing box issue is inhibiting the shaft is to unbolt the three output coupling screws, then the shaft should turn easily. If not, it has to be prop or stuffing box issue.....or cutlass bearing, but no reason to go there yet.
                Marty
                1967 Tartan 27
                Bowen Island, BC

sigpic

Comment

• dew
                  • Mar 2010

Yes I do mean turning by hand, it is not turning by hand. I don't feel like I have any problem finding neutral. For the minor adjustments I made, I have put these back as they did not solve the problem.

I no longed have a key attaching the shaft to the shaft coupling. The coupling turns freely. I do not understand where it would be bogging down without a key? But yes that is a good idea to remove from the coupling. There is plenty of room to get an impact wrench in there which should make quick work of it.

I will still need a replace key, Not that want to start this motor until I find the cause of the current problem.

Thanks for the input.

Dwight

Comment

• Al Schober
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Jul 2009

Key stock is a standard hardware store item. It's just a steel square of the proper size - comes in pieces a foot long. Just measure your keyway and buy a piece of stock to fit. Ideally, they're a snug fit in the shaft and a loose fit in the mating hub. I had to replace the key for the driven pulley in my band saw last week - old one just fell out and disappeared.

Comment

Working...
                    X