X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Golfdad75
    • Sep 2014

What happened

After chasing my tail around trying to get it started. I checked the EI module because i was getting no spark. Sure enough the wires has worn and were shorting out ( I assume), I taped up the wires and put it back together. Now I have no voltage at the coil when the key is on. Yesterday I had 12.4 bolts. Any suggestions
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

Do you have the red wire on coil+ and the black on coil-?

Comment

• Golfdad75
      • Sep 2014

Yes two wires leading from the starter and the red wire from the module on positive. The black on the negative. I have power just not at the coil

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

I expect you may have a blown inline fuse, a damaged ignition switch or maybe the wire itself has parted (fused) as a result of the shorted lead. Sometimes the conductor will part inside the insulation without any visible evidence. A continuity test (switch off) at the ends of the same wire is in order. If it passes, work upstream, ignition switch next.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• romantic comedy
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2007

If the wires were grounding, you probably blew a breaker or fuse. Worse case is that another wire has worn or burned thru.

Comment

• Golfdad75
            • Sep 2014

Could be

I checked the EI switch yesterday and it was working. The ignition would be ruled out I think because I have power to the fuel pump. Should I try to check the ignition wire to the coil?

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Golfdad75 View Post
              I checked the EI switch yesterday and it was working. The ignition would be ruled out I think because I have power to the fuel pump. Should I try to check the ignition wire to the coil?
              Use a voltmeter. Red to coil+, black to good engine block ground. Turn ignition switch to ON - if there is no voltage you are getting some truth.

Comment

• Golfdad75
                • Sep 2014

Thanks for everyone's help. The EI module was bad. The two wires were pinched and had worn through. Put points and condenser back in started right up

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Mar 2010

Just for Fun

cut the wires above the pinch, splice in extensions, and see if maybe the module is actually ok.

Comment

• Golfdad75
                    • Sep 2014

I will try that but the ground broke off at the entry to the housing. Ken has already sent me a new one.

Comment

Working...
                    X