• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

things that make you go hmmmm...

Hmmm, a possible Atomic 4 and parts for sale within a couple hours' drive.

Ooops..do I sound like a vulture? ILR - everyone's comments are good..this is a tough one to decide!
    Last edited by sastanley; 01-27-2011, 09:33 AM.
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• ILikeRust
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
      Hmmm, a possible Atomic 4 and parts for sale within a couple hours' drive.
      Hey, put that dorsal fin away!

Sheesh, they smell a drop of blood, and next thing ya know, they're circling...
      - Bill T.
      - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Regardless of which way you go, A-4 or over to the dark side, I'd think twice about using the existing wiring as a pattern for rewiring. You could do yourself and the boat a real favor by starting from scratch using one or more of the excellent wiring drawings available on this forum.

I just did it and it's a comfort knowing everything is new, properly terminated with a minimum of connections, properly supported, ABYC color code compliant and fully documented. Besides, generally speaking, what looks good is good. The converse is true too.

I'll go out on a limb but only slightly in saying I'm sure every member of this forum can do a better job of wiring their engine than what's likely existing. The factories have nothing to brag about electrically and we all suffer the results of our P.O.'s handiwork.

And what has Don said in the past about the most common cause of engine shutdown?
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• ILikeRust
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
          Regardless of which way you go, A-4 or over to the dark side, I'd think twice about using the existing wiring as a pattern for rewiring.
          Yup. I found Don's wiring diagram here just a couple days ago, which was as "woo hoo!" moment for me.

I had carefully labeled all the old wires as I disconnected everything, but the farther along I went, the more I realized it was a mess and probably had stuff connected to stuff that it shouldn't be connected to, along with lots of unnecessary mid-wire splices, wires sloppily run right through the engine compartment space rather than neatly routed along a panel, etc.

And lots of little fuse blocks all over the place. I'm thinking I want a central fuse/breaker panel, rather than these little fuse blocks in random locations.

Sigh. More work...

Can anyone recommend a good book on boat wiring?
          - Bill T.
          - Richmond, VA

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Originally posted by ILikeRust View Post
            Can anyone recommend a good book on boat wiring?
            There are a number of excellent resources out there but Nigel Calder's book is considered to be the Bible.

Don Casey's work on the subject is highly regarded too but for A-4 specifics, this forum is the place.
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California

Comment

• ArtJ
              • Sep 2009

Remember that most people on this forum are biased towards the Atomic 4
              I think you should talk to some people who have done diesel conversions

before. Hansen Marine in Marblehead mass, for one, has step by step conversion
              plans for Westerbeke diesels probably for your exact boat. Whether or not
              it is a Westerbeke you are installing most steps will be the same.

Don't pass up a good deal without checking out the Diesel option.

Regards

Art

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

Another Useful Publication

The 12 Yolt Doctor's Practical Handbook by Edgar J. Beyn - http://www.weems-plath.com

Comment

• lat 64
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Oct 2008

Good discussion about pros and cons.

I love a good deal, but I have shot myself in the foot many times too

I got a free basket-case Volvo diesel from a guy last year. I started to check prices for repair parts. End of story. I chucked it in the dump. It's the support you should be shopping for, not necessarily the engine type. If you think an A-4 is expensive to repair, try a diesel.
                  I would have given up on the A-4 too if it were not for Moyer's, Indigo and others being in business. The "official" Universal dealer is out of my budget.
                  I understand this volvo is a good runner, and that has it's merit. I would be tempted too. I like the fact that when you smell Diesel fuel in the boat, you don't have to panic. It's because it always smells that way!
                  It is possible to keep the smell down in a diesel boat, but I think it takes the same due diligence as fire prevention on a gasser. Its all about leaks.
                  As a test, put a drop of diesel fuel on your pants and wear them home. If the wife kicks you out of the house because of the smell, you have your answer.

russ
                  sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• Laker
                    • Sep 2010

Neil ,

If converting to diesel constitutes going over to the Dark Side ,
                    does converting to electric constitute going over to the Light Side ?

Sorry , couldn't resist.

Laker
                    1966 Columbia 34 SABINA

Comment

• ndutton
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

Originally posted by Laker View Post
                      Neil ,
                      If converting to diesel constitutes going over to the Dark Side ,
                      does converting to electric constitute going over to the Light Side ?
                      Well, I 'spose it does.

As soon as we can fabricate batteries in the shape of a keel and make sails out of photovoltaics I'm in! I'll have to ditch the compass though, it'll just spin around.

Rusty,
                      What's the market like for that Volvo? Might be able to sell off the engine, scrap the lead and dump the boat.
                      Neil
                      1977 Catalina 30
                      San Pedro, California

Comment

• ArtJ
                        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                        Well, I 'spose it does.

As soon as we can fabricate batteries in the shape of a keel and make sails out of photovoltaics I'm in! I'll have to ditch the compass though, it'll just spin around.

Rusty,
                        What's the market like for that Volvo? Might be able to sell off the engine, scrap the lead and dump the boat.
                        Neil

Those are fantastic ideas, maybe someone will read this and one day develop
                        both.

Comment

• sastanley
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Sep 2008

Art, they're embedding PV's into roof shingles so it may come sooner rather than later...they're even making PV cells that you can walk on (if strung out on deck for example) without damage.

With laminating technology like North's 3Di (which from what I understand is just a bunch of threads glued together with no film, kinda like Tyvek) & other similar products it could happen...
                          -Shawn
                          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                          sigpic

Comment

• ArtJ
                            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
                            Art, they're embedding PV's into roof shingles so it may come sooner rather than later...they're even making PV cells that you can walk on (if strung out on deck for example) without damage.

With laminating technology like North's 3Di (which from what I understand is just a bunch of threads glued together with no film, kinda like Tyvek) & other similar products it could happen...
                            The only issue would be that the sail would need to be somewhat horizontal
                            instead of vertical. Perhaps that could be partially solved by only sailing
                            with southern exposure directions.

Or better still have the bimini and Dodger be solar panels and maybe spinnaker?

Comment

• ILikeRust
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Sep 2010

I figure I'll just keep all of this in one thread, rather than start another.

Anyhow, the overhaul has begun.

After driving around with the engine in the back of my truck for the past two days, this morning I whacked together a quick little dolly for the engine to sit on and slid it down two 2x10s out of the truck and onto the dolly.

I had broken off one of the thermostat housing studs, so I started working on that. The other one came out without too much fuss, but the broken one was being recalcitrant. I heated the head with a torch, hit it with Kroil (magic stuff, that), heated it again, etc., then grabbed it with vise grips and ... it cracked and crumbled.

I finally managed to work the head loose enough that I could wiggle it slightly back and forth and gradually got it high enough that I could pivot it on that one remaining stud past the valves and spun it around until the stud came loose.

Then I knocked the broken stud out of the head casting.

Then on to other components.

Continued...
                              - Bill T.
                              - Richmond, VA

Comment

• ILikeRust
                                Afourian MVP
                                • Sep 2010

Took off the starter:

Took off the flywheel and flywheel housing, water jacket side cover, valve cover, distributor and water pump.

I scraped off the gasket remains and dug around in the various water passages, which were pretty full of crud. I was dismayed to find a couple passages completely blocked.

Continued...
                                - Bill T.
                                - Richmond, VA

Comment

Working...
                                X