• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • romantic comedy
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

what size table for engine rebuilding?

So I have 2 Atomic Fours in the garage. One in the boat. I keep thinking that I need to get started taking them apart to see what I want to do with them.

I dont want to take up space on the work bench. Besides it is too high anyway.

What would be the dimensions of the work bench you would want Santa to bring for a dedicated Atomic Four engine bench? You know, what height and bench top dimensions?

thanks.....
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

This is the impromptu table that I use. It is 30"x30" and 24" off the floor, very convenient to work around and as you see I lower it right from the boat and don't have to horse it around.
    Last edited by hanleyclifford; 07-13-2016, 08:24 PM.

Comment

• The Garbone
      • Dec 2013

I used a small pallet (used to transport batteries) and $19 harbor freight furniture dolly. Used ratchet straps to keep the dolly and pallet snug and them readjusted them for transport after finishing the garage work. I found it pretty easy to roll the motor on its side to work underneath etc. Have some nice stools to sit on as I work and dropped nuts do not roll as far from the close fall to the floor.

Gary
      78' Catalina 30 #1179
      www.svknotaclew.wordpress.com

Comment

• romantic comedy
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

thanks guys. With some of what I see here, I was half expecting some amazing and detailed bench, complete with fuel supply, battery, gauges, and beer cooler.

Hanley, we will talk about that reduction gear sometime.

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

RC, For detailed work like this, I suspect it will be done in stages..I pulled a transmission apart for my Honda once on a folding picnic type (Lifetime) table..but for an engine, I'd have several boxes for engine sub-areas...head, valves, springs, etc..another box for block, pistons, rings, connecting rods..another box for all the stuff hanging out under the block in the oil pan...etc, etc..

A cheap solution that I can think of is an interior door on a set of sawhorses..you can reach everything with that size table and you can add or subtract stuff under/over the sawhorses for getting the height correct for you.

I agree with you on leaving the work bench open for all the other "work" you have to with each of the subsystems during the re-build.
          Last edited by sastanley; 02-21-2016, 11:44 PM.
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

I prefer the largest table space will allow.
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California
            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• romantic comedy
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2007

For VW engines I had a bench mount engine stand. For outboards I have a typical engine stand. I had a motorcycle lift that was great for lots of jobs because it was adjustable.

I got some lumber outside that will just rot away, so I figured I would knock together a little bench for the Atomic Four.

I made some 18 inch high horses last year for a scaffold, and I was thinking of using them.. but I will just make a bench.

nothing serious here, I just have some time

Comment

• edwardc
                Afourian MVP
                • Aug 2009

I went overboard and built a bench specifically for the rebuild, capable of accommodating two engines at the same time (the old and the new).

The top was constructed out of a single 4' x 8' sheet of 3/4" plywood, with an 18" x 48" rectangle cut out of the center of one of the long sides. This produces a "U" shaped benchtop, with 24"x48" space on the deep parts on the left and right sides for an engine on a simple cradle, allowing easy access all around. The shallower central portion has a 30" depth, allowing easy arms-reach to the pegboard at the back and the outlet strip along the fiddle at the rear. Each engine section had four 2x4 legs to easily support the weight of a fully built-up engine. Since I generally work standing (back issues), I built the top at a height of 36", which works out nicely for me. (I'm 5'7")

The attached photo shows lifting the old A4 onto the bench.
                Attached Files
                @(^.^)@ Ed
                1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
                with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• romantic comedy
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2007

Ed, now that is what I am talking about!!!!

Comment

• romantic comedy
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2007

The neighbor was remodeling and I raided his dumpster. I made this table for the Atomic Four. Now I can wheel it around the garage. It is not a priority but it is there for when I need some therapy.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• lat 64
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Oct 2008

I like RC's version.

Mine was similar but not as nice. Just an old tv stand I found in a dumpster* with some hardware-store casters I screwed to the bottom.

Here's a pic showing how it was usful to slide into my old camry. The engine is on a cradle made from 2x6s that stayed with the engine all the way to the floor of the boat.

r.

*Do you see the theme here?
                      Attached Files
                      sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• JAK
                        • Jul 2013

Here's another crate, no bench however.

Pretty sure you have the hole distance etc already, but I put out the dimensions anyway for anybody who might need them.

Cheers.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X