• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • romantic comedy
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

Stainless in aluminum

I just took off my halyard winches from the mast. They are just the simple barient 10 single speed.

I was amazed how easily they came off. The 1/4 inch bolts just unscrewed with minimal force. They had a gray grease on them, and showed no corrosion.

I have had this boat for 18 years and never took them off, or greased them. I sprayed them with WD 40 occasionally.

The stuff that was on the bolts looks just like the gray Permatex anti seize that I have. It may be part number 371, but I am not sure. (no memory) The plastic bottle is at least 20 years old, and may have come from a construction job. (nuclear plant)

I really have no experience with tef-gel or never seize. So I dont know what they look like. I am wondering what anyone might recommend for the bolts into the mast. I was just thinking of using the gray Permatex.

I will be replacing them soon. What do you guys recommend

Also how much grease should I use on the winch. I know to only oil the pawls.
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

NOALOX made by Ideal (Gardner has a similar product), an electrical anti-oxidant compound required by the National Electrical Code for aluminum wire terminations. Both Home Depot and Lowe's carry it.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• romantic comedy
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2007

Neil, I have some of that in the garage.
      Do you think it is better then the permatex anti seize?

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

I can't compare the two having never used the Permatex product. A side benefit of my trade is I always have NOALOX around. It has never failed me.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California

Comment

• edwardc
          Afourian MVP
          • Aug 2009

When I tore my mast down to a bare pole and rebuilt it, I used TefGel on every single screw. It looks a bit pricy as it comes in a small tube, but a little goes a long way.
          @(^.^)@ Ed
          1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
          with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• TomG
            Afourian MVP Emeritus
            • Nov 2010

Like Neil, I use the electrical anti-oxidant paste. I have Gardner-Bender on the boat and use it on anything that is screwed or bolted. Not only does it provide anti-oxidant protection, it also mitigates galling.

Tom
            "Patina"
            1977 Tartan 30
            Repowered with MMI A-4 2008

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by TomG View Post
              Like Neil, I use the electrical anti-oxidant paste. I have Gardner-Bender on the boat and use it on anything that is screwed or bolted. Not only does it provide anti-oxidant protection, it also mitigates galling.

Would it be beneficial for sealing Norseman rigging terminals?

Comment

• TomG
                Afourian MVP Emeritus
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
                Would it be beneficial for sealing Norseman rigging terminals?
                Good question. My primary concern is galvanic corrosion (SS screw into an aluminum mast, e.g.) and the second issue it can help with is galling on SS on SS threads. Since the Norseman fittings are essentially friction devices, I wonder if this would be advised or not. Perhaps an email to Norseman might answer the question? I think most Norseman fittings have anti-seize pre-applied to the threaded part of the terminal connection, so adding anti-ox to cone makes sense.
                Tom
                "Patina"
                1977 Tartan 30
                Repowered with MMI A-4 2008

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

More specific to the ability to seal, no. Anti-oxidant compound is much like a thin grease rather than a sealant. I imagine you snow belt guys have concerns over water in rigging swages.
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Dec 2008

Stainless steel is only "stainless" when it has access to O2 - deprive it of O2 and it will rust just as surely as iron.

Comment

• zellerj
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2005

Originally posted by 67c&ccorv View Post
                      Stainless steel is only "stainless" when it has access to O2 - deprive it of O2 and it will rust just as surely as iron.

OK I will bite. Do you have any references to back this up? Rusting is oxidation, and without oxygen iron will not rust. Salt speeds oxidation up, but even iron exposed to salt needs oxygen to rust. Chlorine gas will degrade iron to ferric or ferrous chloride, even without oxygen, but how often are we in a chlorine environment? Other oxidants like bromine or iodine will do the same. I have never heard of stainless rusting in an anaerobic atmosphere, but cheaper grades of SS will rust eventually in air. Without air, I think SS would stay shiny forever.

Jim
                      Jim Zeller
                      1982 Catalina 30
                      Kelleys Island, Ohio

Comment

• romantic comedy
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2007

Jim just google around a little bit.

Comment

• marthur
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Dec 2004

Do you have any references to back this up?
                          “The Complete Rigger’s Apprentice – Tools and Techniques for Modern and Traditional Rigging” (International Marine; Camden, Maine 1998).

Here is a quote:

"Stainless steel, the dominant material in rigging today, is susceptible to its own special form of decay: crevice corrosion, also known as oxygen starvation. Stainless steel contains significant amounts of chromium. When exposed to the atmosphere the surface oxidizes slightly and a thin film of chromium oxide forms, preventing any further oxidation. If exposed to water, salt or fresh, without the presence of air, this film will not form and the metal will corrode.
                          If you recall your chemistry, oxidation does not refer to the reaction with oxygen. It refers to a chemical reaction in which a reactant loses electrons. It can happen in the absence of oxygen, but combining with oxygen is just the most common example of this type of reaction and that is why it has that name.

By the way, a neat trick to clean light tarnish off your silver is to combine saltwater, baking soda and the silver on top of a piece of aluminum foil. The foil is oxidized--but the silver is reduced. Reduction is the opposite of oxidation. The tarnish turns back into silver!
                          Mike

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Dec 2008

As RC and Marthur have answered.

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
                              Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                              • May 2010

Originally posted by marthur View Post
                              “The Complete Rigger’s Apprentice – Tools and Techniques for Modern and Traditional Rigging” (International Marine; Camden, Maine 1998).
                              Great book, well written with more than a touch of humor. To bring this nearly full circle, the author also describes how he uses lanolin (sheep grease) on all his threaded items.

Jeff

sigpic
                              S/V Bunny Planet
                              1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

Working...
                              X