Where did you get 1-1/4" black iron pipe and fittings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ILikeRust
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2010

Where did you get 1-1/4" black iron pipe and fittings?

I've determined that I need to cobble up a hot section, which the boat did not have when I bought it. What it has is a short section of curved, double-walled bronze pipe, where the water injects and then mixes with the exhaust as it exits:

This was attached directly to the exhaust port of the manifold. Then a short section of exhaust hose went from the tail end of this pipe to the Vetus waterlift muffler.

However, upon re-installing it, I have determined that it's simply not a good setup, based on everything I've read and the diagrams I've seen of how a waterlift muffler is supposed to work. The problem is that the end of that pipe is lower than the inlet to the Vetus. So the short section of hose has to head down and then curve sharply back up to connect to the inlet of the Vetus. This am no good.

So I'm going to replace it with a short hot section. I want to use black iron.

I've looked at Lowe's, Home Depot, and the local family-run hardware store that has been in business in Richmond for something like 100 years.

Nobody has much in the way of 1-1/4" black iron pipe or fittings. I can get all the galvanized stuff I could possibly carry. But black iron, in 1-1/4" size, is pretty hard to find. Lowe's has a couple elbows, but no actual pipe or nipples. They have plenty of stuff in 1" and smaller, but nothing in 1-1/4". Home Depot didn't have anything at all.

I'm going to run over to a local plumbing supply place I found by Googling. I called the guy and he said he had some stuff and I should come over and see what he's got and "bring your list." I'll do that right after lunch today.

If that doesn't work out, I'll have to keep digging for another plumbing supply house.

So where did you get your 1-1/4" black iron pipe, if you in fact used that for your hot section?
    - Bill T.
    - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

Bill, I got mine at the local Lowe's & Ace Hardware. - I built mine out of galvanized, although they had black pipe too. Dunno why your Lowe's doesn't have it. It's right in the plumbing section!
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• msmith10
      Afourian MVP
      • Jun 2006

why not just abandon the 1-1/4" section and build from the manifold flange to the hose with 1-3/4, which is readily available in black iron?
      Mark Smith
      1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

• ILikeRust
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2010

Well it's a moot point now.

Thank you, Richmond Plumbing Specialties!

Funny thing is their website looks all sleek and modern and fancy - meanwhile, the actual store is a dark little place, jam-packed from wall-to-wall and floor-to-ceiling (with lots and lots of stuff also hanging from the ceiling, or any other surface available to be hung from) with just about every kind of plumbing part, fitting, tool, or supply you could envision.

Nice guys, too.

I now have in a box in the back of my truck everything I (should) need to fabricate my hot section. $75 worth of 1-1/4" black iron bits and pieces, and some high-temp never-sieze goop.

Given how heavy this stuff is, I would definitely rather stay with this than go up to 1-3/4". I'm going to have to figure out a way to support all this weight - I don't think I want it just hanging off the manifold studs.
        - Bill T.
        - Richmond, VA

Comment

• hanleyclifford
          Afourian MVP
          • Mar 2010

Bill - You need to cobble a nice headstay from pipe hanger bracket and threaded rod with a turnbuckle for adjustment. Never let that weight bear on your manifold casting.
          Last edited by hanleyclifford; 07-13-2016, 08:33 PM.

Comment

• ILikeRust
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2010

Yup. I was planning on rigging up something to bear the weight.

Funny thing is that your hot section there looks very much similar to what I'm planning on cobbling together. Including the T for water injection.
            - Bill T.
            - Richmond, VA

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

Also, don't forget the "shroud" for complete steady support.
              Last edited by hanleyclifford; 07-13-2016, 08:33 PM.

Comment

• jpian0923
                Afourian MVP
                • Sep 2010

Bill, what are you going to do with you old setup? I'll take it off your hands.
                "Jim"
                S/V "Ahoi"
                1967 Islander 29
                Harbor Island, San Diego
                2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Mar 2010

Bill - That short section of copper pipe is probably the remnant of a once magnificent jacketed system that ran all the way to the transom. You are right, however, to reject it now because it has no "riser" component.

Comment

• smosher
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Jun 2006

Hanley, on your water out of the manifold, are you plumbing that to the intake.

I assume to raise engine temp with no thermostat,

Is that right ?

Steve

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Mar 2010

Actually that configuration is now obsolete. I have incorporated the Tom Thatch Modification so the thermostat now sits at the forward end of the manifold. I do run the Dole thermostat. The valve provides the same function as the one Moyer Marine sells (usually for the late heads), that is, positive shut off of the by- pass loop.
                      Last edited by hanleyclifford; 07-13-2016, 08:32 PM.

Comment

• ILikeRust
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by jpian0923 View Post
                        Bill, what are you going to do with you old setup? I'll take it off your hands.
                        Send me your snail mail addy via PM and I'll pack it up.
                        - Bill T.
                        - Richmond, VA

Comment

Working...
                        X