• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Baltimore Sailor
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2007

Roto-rooter view of exhaust system?

I've been pondering on my exhaust lines lately, and I've started to think that it would be a really good thing to be able to run one of those flexible fiber optic viewers down the run to have a look at your exhaust without having to take the whole thing apart.

A bit of internet research shows me the ProVision PV-960, a .4" diameter, 8' long flexible fiberoptic cable with light source. It's pricey a$500-600, but it would be a perfect rental item: lots of people could find a use for it, but no one would need it often enough to justify the cost.

This would be a great wish list article for us A4 aficionados. Moyer buys one or two of them and rents them to us via the store for a few day's use at a reasonable price. Require a charge card for deposit in case the thing "walks" -- though the universal approbation from the rest of us would shame them for life -- and we could all have a look at our exhaust systems without having to rip them apart.

Win-win!
  • Mo
    Afourian MVP
    • Jun 2007

Not a bad idea. My friend has a contracting business with excavators etc. He has one of those for finding breaks / collapsed sewer lines.

Not bad at all.
    Mo

"Odyssey"
    1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
    The optimist expects it to change.
    The realist adjusts the sails.
    ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • Jan 2007

Hmmm!

Baltimore, maybe not a bad idea BUT a preassure gage if you have the fitting would be as cheap or even cheaper than the shipping.
      I'm sure you could rent one at a good tool rental place if you had one locally.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Baltimore Sailor
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

Yes, but, I don't have that fitting. The only way for me to put one on would be to tear my exhaust system apart to get at it. I would have to destroy my exhaust system in order to save it.

When I do tear it apart I will put the test fitting on. But I would like to know if it needs tearing apart before I do it.

Comment

• Mo
          Afourian MVP
          • Jun 2007

I replaced my hot exhaust last September. (there are a couple of pics of the old one in my engine album) The remainder of the exhaust, muffler, hoses, clamps etc was all replaced when I refitted the boat 3 years ago. Although I don't anticipate any problems in the near future....you never know. This spring I will run muriatic acid through the engine to ensure all passages are clear. Muriatic acid flush last done in Aug 2007 and I figure it is due again....that is taking advice from my learned friends on here.
          Mo

"Odyssey"
          1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
          The optimist expects it to change.
          The realist adjusts the sails.
          ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Rustysteel
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Baltimore Sailor View Post
            I've been pondering on my exhaust lines lately, and I've started to think that it would be a really good thing to be able to run one of those flexible fiber optic viewers down the run to have a look at your exhaust without having to take the whole thing apart.
            After rebuilding the A-4 for the Islander 29 I'm bringing back to life I wondered the same thing about the standpipe muffler that is 43 years old. If it fails the water gets into the fresh engine sitting below it. Everyone told me not to trust it so I've devised a way (after relocating the fuel tank) to put in a waterlift system. I dissected the copper standpipe to see its innards and also check just what its condition was. Surprisingly good but it is a mute point now that I have committed to the other muffler and opened up the old standpipe.

No Worries, Scott

Comment

• ArtJ
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Rustysteel View Post
              After rebuilding the A-4 for the Islander 29 I'm bringing back to life I wondered the same thing about the standpipe muffler that is 43 years old. If it fails the water gets into the fresh engine sitting below it. Everyone told me not to trust it so I've devised a way (after relocating the fuel tank) to put in a waterlift system. I dissected the copper standpipe to see its innards and also check just what its condition was. Surprisingly good but it is a mute point now that I have committed to the other muffler and opened up the old standpipe.

No Worries, Scott

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/...ft007webww.jpg
              Thank you for the excellent pictures and comments. I have
              a standpipe on my Tartan 34C, but always wondered what the insides
              looked like and how it actually works

Thanks again

Art

Comment

• sastanley
                Afourian MVP
                • Sep 2008

Scott, welcome to the group...excellent dissecting of your (seemingly intact) standpipe...

We have lots of threads on water-lift systems..some seem to prefer the stand-pipes if they have them, but you've already cut yours up so I wish you luck in your rebuild!
                -Shawn
                "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                sigpic

Comment

• Rustysteel
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
                  Scott, welcome to the group...excellent dissecting of your (seemingly intact) standpipe...

We have lots of threads on water-lift systems..some seem to prefer the stand-pipes if they have them, but you've already cut yours up so I wish you luck in your rebuild!
                  Hi Shawn,

I was torn about which way to go but my Atomic rebuild came in at a grand total of $5,900. Protecting my investment was paramount in my decison to not "guess" about my standpipe. Two photos below show my Atomic before and after. Thanks for the welcome.

Scott

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Mar 2010

Very interesting addition on the crossover tube.

Comment

• Kelly
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Oct 2004

R.I.P. Old standpipe

I was actually sorry to see the inside of the standpipe as that copper probably would have lasted "forever". I can open up my copper mixing chamber which is situated just above a long riser and when I did, I saw just how beefy the construction was and in what good shape everything was.

Sniff, sniff.
                      Kelly

1964 Cheoy Lee Bermuda Ketch, Wind and Atomic powered

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X