X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dougr90232
    • Sep 2013

Jammed valve keepers

Has anyone run into this problem? (And do you know how to fix it?)

I decided to repair some broken springs, and replace some old burned valves (it seemed like a good idea at the time), so I ordered the Lisle valve spring compressor tool and got to work. (The head is off at the machine shop getting milled back flat.)

Managed to lift seven valves, tap them back down to release the keepers, and then remove the valve assembly, pretty much as described in rpower's post from a while back, here: http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/sh...t=valve+spring

But I ran into a snag with the exhaust valve on #4 -- the keepers seem to be jammed solidly, and no amount of tapping, hammering, pounding or cussing seems to be able to get them loose. Short of cutting the valve stem in half, is there a way to get access to the keepers to free them? Any thoughts would be most appreciated.
  • Sony2000
    • Dec 2011

I assume the keepers are jammed in the round holder, and not on the valve stem. Spray them with brake cleaner to dissolve the varnish/carbon build up.

Comment

• lat 64
      Afourian MVP
      • Oct 2008

Can you post a photo? This is rather odd. Usually, it's that the damn little things won't go back in!

Just a tap should have loosed the most reluctant keepers. It may be that you have something not normal (not-good) going on.

on rare occasions I have seen keepers pounded deep into a retainer from some hot rod cam. I just can't think that's the prob here.

Russ
      sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• dougr90232
        • Sep 2013

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Doesn't make sense to me that a mild mannered engine like the A4 could do this to itself...The other valves came right off with a few taps, so something's definately funky with this one...

Comment

• Bigeye
          • Jul 2010

Jammed Valve Keepers

I have the same problem with the #4 exhaust valve. It might be from water getting back into the cylinder. Regardless, did you get the keepers out? How?

Thanks,

Big Eye

Comment

• Al Schober
            Afourian MVP
            • Jul 2009

Been pondering this for a couple of days, but I've been hoping for a photo. I still don't have a good feeling for what's happening.
            What happens when you tighten the valve spring compressor? I can't see how you can compress the spring without the keepers at least being exposed??

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Al Schober View Post
              Been pondering this for a couple of days, but I've been hoping for a photo. I still don't have a good feeling for what's happening.
              What happens when you tighten the valve spring compressor? I can't see how you can compress the spring without the keepers at least being exposed??
              If the spring is fully compressed and the valve stem is moving freely in the guide, then the keepers must be free of the retainer but rusted to the stem. The problem seems to be limited visibility of the area.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                • Jan 2007

Guys, an end cutting dyke will often work by placing the cutting edges in the keepers split and giving a little squeeze. Worked on my #4 exhaust valve back in 1983. Done this many times restoring old rusty engines.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Dec 2008

Did you try using a telescoping magnetic pickup tool?

Comment

Working...
                  X