X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joe_db
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Probably would, but it doesn't do the same thing. A current limiter would vary the overall resistance up and down to keep the current at a set-point. They are made by combining a voltage regulator and a power transistor to keep a voltage drop though a sensing resistor constant. It was more a though-experiment than something I would actually build. It can also be done by using a voltage regulator followed by a ballast resistor set to precisely that voltage.

Originally posted by smosher View Post
    Wouldn't the ballast resistor be more reliable than a current limit circuit ?

Steve
    Joe Della Barba
    Coquina
    C&C 35 MK I
    Maryland USA

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

Neil, just to throw a monkey wrench in the mix..my failed coil never got hotter than 135 F degrees. - I do not know if it got hotter than that when it wasn't failing.

I'll take some temp readings of the current set up & some more voltage readings for Kelly too. Didn't have time to run the motor yesterday, just a few extra minutes to turn the key on and grab some voltage numbers before heading home to cook dinner.
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Picture time

Unfortunately my most accurate digital tester would not give meaningful voltage readings while the engine was running, they were jumping all over the place. My dumber tester that rounds voltage to the nearest integer works but the readings aren't precise at all. Oh well, here's what I have anyway:

Static unloaded battery voltage = 13.6 VDC
        Ignition on, engine not running = 12.5 VDC ahead of the resistor, 10.3 VDC at the coil post

Resistances
        coil alone = 3.5 ohms
        coil + resistor = 4.3 ohms

Here's the bracket. 3/4" x 3/4" aluminum angle
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Resistor bracket.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	191296

Bracket and resistor

Name:	Ballast resistor and bracket.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	191292

View from the port side

Name:	Ballast resistor 1.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	191293

View from behind

Name:	Ballast resistor 2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	191294
        Last edited by ndutton; 09-29-2011, 11:33 AM. Reason: Added bracket picture
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
          Neil, just to throw a monkey wrench in the mix..my failed coil never got hotter than 135 F degrees. - I do not know if it got hotter than that when it wasn't failing.
          I suspect it did. I'd also suspect the internal damage from previous overheating left it in a condition where all it took was 135 degrees to cause the subsequent failures. 135 is well within Pertronix's published temperature range.

It reminds me of the advice on another thread from the alternator shop who cautioned against alt temps beyond 200F. Damage to the winding insulation was their reasoning.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California

Comment

• hanleyclifford
            Afourian MVP
            • Mar 2010

Neil - Nice installation! The spiral lead, resistor to coil+ is a nice touch for a little extra resistance. BTW, regarding your digital meter fluctuations--do you have a suppressor in your alternator output circuit? They can cure a lot of fluctuation issues all over the system.

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
              --do you have a suppressor in your alternator output circuit? They can cure a lot of fluctuation issues all over the system.
              Not unless there's one internally that I don't know about. Remember, I have a single wire internally regulated alternator. The only wire attached is a #4 cable to the starter post, less than 6" in length. With a history of trouble free and reliable performance I'm thinking I don't need or want a supplemental suppressor either.

Nice installation!
              Thank you. When it comes to boat building and maintenance, a polishing wheel is one of my more essential tools. I was a little embarrassed that I didn't polish the button head resistor bolt before installation too.
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                Afourian MVP
                • Mar 2010

Yes, that button head is a little substandard for you - not quite STRAK. As for suppressors, you might be pleasantly surprised how they help performance of sounders, autopilots, televisions etc. They are nothing but a big capacitor in the output circuit (actually interrupting alt + to batt+); also a big ground cable. As far as I know they can be had in 70 and 150 amp configurations.

Comment

• ILikeRust
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                  I was a little embarrassed that I didn't polish the button head resistor bolt before installation too.

Yeah, I didn't want to point that out and embarrass you, but now that you have - what the hell is up with that? Slacker.

- Bill T.
                  - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• ndutton
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

Re: polishing, presentation is everything. Really though, it's the little things that make a difference. If installing a track on deck, align the slots in the machine screw heads with the length of the track. If countersinking and plugging a piece of teak, try to align the holes. If making a new wood accessory that will be "finished bright", align the grain in the panels vertically even if it results in more offall (waste). It really makes a difference.

Okay, enough of that. Here's a graph of my coil temperature testing.

Name:	Coil temp graph.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	191298
                    Neil
                    1977 Catalina 30
                    San Pedro, California

Comment

• smosher
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Jun 2006

Its not stabilizing I would expect the temp to at one point level off and remain constant assuming nothing else changes

Comment

• ndutton
                        Afourian MVP
                        • May 2009

I arbitrarily tested for only 30 minutes. As I use the boat I'll keep the temp gun handy. The rate of change (acceleration if you will) approaching the 30 minute mark was markedly different between the two. The no-resistor temp rose 10 degrees over the last 4 minutes while the with-resistor temp rose 2 degrees over the same final time interval. That's a 5:1 difference. Over the final 2 minutes the ratio was 4:1.

I think this implies the resistor setup was closer to reaching it's plateau than the no-resistor setup was. We'll see. I'll post more as I learn more.

As it stands though, I'm a lot more comfortable at somewhere between 18% - 20% less coil heat even if it is at only the 30 minute mark. I'm careful not to suggest conclusions based on extrapolation. All I can say for now is 30 minute's worth.
                        Last edited by ndutton; 09-29-2011, 07:13 PM.
                        Neil
                        1977 Catalina 30
                        San Pedro, California

Comment

• thatch
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Dec 2009

Another approach

I just returned from the boat after doing some "parallel" tests to Neil's.
                          To set the stage, I will say, at the outset, that my wiring condition is at the
                          opposite end of the spectrum from Neil's. Most of my wiring looks to be over 30 years old and has been repaired numerous times. My approach to the tests was to try to find out just how low of a plug voltage an A4 would tolerate before performance would begin to drop. For the "doomsday" test I used an adjustable, ceramic resistor that would allow me to adjust down from my already low (11.6 volt) running coil voltage. For the record, my A4 cold starts very quickly despite this low voltage. After a brief warmup (about 5 minutes) I began adjusting the resistor down gradually and at just under 9 volts she began to stumble. At this voltage performance would certainly be affected and after shutting the engine down completely, it would not start at all, most likely because of the the additional starter induced voltage drop. After these tests, I installed a 2 ohm resistor (similar to Neil's) and despite now having a coil voltage of 10.2 volts, my engine started and ran the same as without the resistor. My coil temps were 120 degrees without a resistor and 105 degrees with the 2 ohm resistor, which seems to fall in line with Neil's findings. What is the reason for all of my testing?, simply to prove that many of us are quite likely "over volting" our ignition systems at the cost of early coil burnouts and shortened point or ignition module life.
                          Tom

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by thatch View Post
                            I just returned from the boat after doing some "parallel" tests to Neil's.
                            To set the stage, I will say, at the outset, that my wiring condition is at the
                            opposite end of the spectrum from Neil's. Most of my wiring looks to be over 30 years old and has been repaired numerous times. My approach to the tests was to try to find out just how low of a plug voltage an A4 would tolerate before performance would begin to drop. For the "doomsday" test I used an adjustable, ceramic resistor that would allow me to adjust down from my already low (11.6 volt) running coil voltage. For the record, my A4 cold starts very quickly despite this low voltage. After a brief warmup (about 5 minutes) I began adjusting the resistor down gradually and at just under 9 volts she began to stumble. At this voltage performance would certainly be affected and after shutting the engine down completely, it would not start at all, most likely because of the the additional starter induced voltage drop. After these tests, I installed a 2 ohm resistor (similar to Neil's) and despite now having a coil voltage of 10.2 volts, my engine started and ran the same as without the resistor. My coil temps were 120 degrees without a resistor and 105 degrees with the 2 ohm resistor, which seems to fall in line with Neil's findings. What is the reason for all of my testing?, simply to prove that many of us are quite likely "over volting" our ignition systems at the cost of early coil burnouts and shortened point or ignition module life.
                            Tom
                            Hear, Hear.

Comment

• sastanley
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Sep 2008

Roger...temp gauge in hand the next time i run the engine. My wife loves it when we are motoring somewhere and I have my head in the engine compartment.
                              -Shawn
                              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                              sigpic

Comment

• thatch
                                Afourian MVP
                                • Dec 2009

On the cool side

Shawn,
                                I have been taking my coil temp readings on the water pump side of the coil. First, on a Catalina 30, the access door makes taking that reading easy and secondly, the heat coming off of the exhaust has a tendancy to heat the port side of the coil up considerably more than the other side.
                                Tom

Comment

Working...
                                X