X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oldlaxer1
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
    If you install a fuel pressure gauge right at the carb, fuel issue can be confirmed or eliminated.
    What size and type and what would I be looking for?
    John Novotny
    1973 Tartan 30 #186
    Baltimore, MD

Comment

• romantic comedy
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2007

remember the gas tank vent.....

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Oldlaxer1 View Post
        What size and type and what would I be looking for?
        Something in the 0-15 range. I buy the el cheapo and replace every couple of years. http://www.mcmaster.com/#atmospheric...auges/=127z779

Comment

• hanleyclifford
          Afourian MVP
          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by romantic comedy View Post
          Agreed, but first the question of fuel vs spark; besides, the fuel pressure gauge is useful on a continuing basis as the quickest diagnostic tool in the box.

Comment

• Oldlaxer1
            • Sep 2014

Just checked that and it's clear. Thanks
            John Novotny
            1973 Tartan 30 #186
            Baltimore, MD

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
              Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
              • Nov 2008

John
              Was it an artifact of the video (or maybe an artifact in my head) that the engine was "laboring" or running slower and slower just before the shut down?
              It will expedite the diagnosis if you separate the engines systems from the boats systems.
              Fuel: Run off an auxiliary tank straight to the fuel pump.
              Ignition: See post #7.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Oldlaxer1
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by JOHN COOKSON View Post
                John
                Was it an artifact of the video (or maybe an artifact in my head) that the engine was "laboring" or running slower and slower just before the shut down?
                It will expedite the diagnosis if you separate the engines systems from the boats systems.
                Fuel: Run off an auxiliary tank straight to the fuel pump.
                Ignition: See post #7.

TRUE GRIT
                I noticed that too when listening to the vid. Made me think more fuel related than originally thought.
                John Novotny
                1973 Tartan 30 #186
                Baltimore, MD

Comment

• romantic comedy
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2007

I had an intermittent fuel pump. It drove my nuts, and I am a great troubleshooter.
                  intermittent probs are the worst!!

Comment

• Oldlaxer1
                    • Sep 2014

I had an intermittent fuel pump. It drove my nuts, and I am a great troubleshooter.
                    intermittent probs are the worst!!
                    This one is no longer intermittent. The optimistic me says that's actually a good thing...if I can figure it out.
                    Fuel is getting to carb. Took line off at carb and there was fuel. In fact, once I emptied the line into a cup, it slowly refilled. Hmmm.
                    John Novotny
                    1973 Tartan 30 #186
                    Baltimore, MD

Comment

• edwardc
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Aug 2009

Since you have an electric fuel pump, your symptoms sound a lot like the "stuck ball" problem I had with the Facet pump a few years ago.

The pump would move a weak stream of fuel, but the voulme wasn't enough to keep up with the engine's demands, so it would labor and stall out in a few minutes when the carbs float bowl went dry. Cranking would allow the bowl to partially refill and start the process again.

The weak stream of fuel is a big clue. You should be seeing a large voulme of fuel pumped out of the disconnected line. I've used that Facet pump as a transfer pump before.

The test, and temporary cure, is simple. Remove the bottom of the fuel pump (it's a twist-off bayonet wuth a large hex moulded in the bottom for a wrench). Then remove the mesh filter basket. The bottom of the ball that forms the check valve inside the pump will be visible. Press it with a fingertip. It should move smoothly and easily against its spring and return when released. If it doesn't move, it's stuck to its seat. Press harder and it should snap free with a "click" and then move freely. Reassemble the pump and re-test the flow. It should be much greater.

Unfortunately, in my experience, this is a temporary fix. In my case the problem returned in about a week, and the permanant fix was to replace the pump.

BTW, whereabouts in Baltimore are you? I'm just down the river, south of Key Bridge, on Rock Creek (by White Rocks).
                      @(^.^)@ Ed
                      1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
                      with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• Oldlaxer1
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by edwardc View Post
                        Since you have an electric fuel pump, your symptoms sound a lot like the "stuck ball" problem I had with the Facet pump a few years ago.

The pump would move a weak stream of fuel, but the voulme wasn't enough to keep up with the engine's demands, so it would labor and stall out in a few minutes when the carbs float bowl went dry. Cranking would allow the bowl to partially refill and start the process again.

The weak stream of fuel is a big clue. You should be seeing a large voulme of fuel pumped out of the disconnected line. I've used that Facet pump as a transfer pump before.

The test, and temporary cure, is simple. Remove the bottom of the fuel pump (it's a twist-off bayonet wuth a large hex moulded in the bottom for a wrench). Then remove the mesh filter basket. The bottom of the ball that forms the check valve inside the pump will be visible. Press it with a fingertip. It should move smoothly and easily against its spring and return when released. If it doesn't move, it's stuck to its seat. Press harder and it should snap free with a "click" and then move freely. Reassemble the pump and re-test the flow. It should be much greater.

Unfortunately, in my experience, this is a temporary fix. In my case the problem returned in about a week, and the permanant fix was to replace the pump.

BTW, whereabouts in Baltimore are you? I'm just down the river, south of Key Bridge, on Rock Creek (by White Rocks).
                        Thanks Ed. Will do. I'm currently at Old Bay Marina. Just launched yesterday evening and too crappy weather to go to the Anchorage which is home. Actually it's a good thing because I'd have been getting a tow.
                        When wrote weak stream, that was with everything off. Just the hose disconnected from carb. I didn't test the pump with power yet.
                        John Novotny
                        1973 Tartan 30 #186
                        Baltimore, MD

Comment

• romantic comedy
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2007

Ed, sounds like that pump had prostate problems.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                            • Nov 2008

I noticed that too when listening to the vid. Made me think more fuel related than originally thought.
                            Right after a shutdown put a finger on the packing nut and see how hot it is. Let's be sure the packing is not screwed up. Easy to do.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Mar 2010

Thanks Ed. Will do. I'm currently at Old Bay Marina. Just launched yesterday evening and too crappy weather to go to the Anchorage which is home. Actually it's a good thing because I'd have been getting a tow.
                              When wrote weak stream, that was with everything off. Just the hose disconnected from carb. I didn't test the pump with power yet.
                              Most Atomic 4s will run at idle or for short runs without a fuel pump if the tank is even slightly above the carb. Your pump may not be working at all but the fuel is just falling thru it according to the head your set up allows.

Comment

• Oldlaxer1
                                • Sep 2014

So I bypassed the OPSS and the Facet fuel pump worked fine. Gas looked good too. Even tried to start with the OPSS bypassed. No joy. Back to electrical. BTW, it started this morning but cut out within about 30 seconds. It will not start now. New coil on order. I'll recap all my steps tomorrow on the computer. I'm not like my kids, takes me forever to type on the iPhone
                                Thanks for all the help.

John
                                John Novotny
                                1973 Tartan 30 #186
                                Baltimore, MD

Comment

Working...
                                X