X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

0930 PT 26 closing on Ormond Beach bridge.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

PT 26 halted just off Fort Matanzas, another great day's run.

Comment

• PT26
        • Mar 2012

It was another good day for sure, a bit wet at the end!
        We anchored up just before the rain really started to pour

We really didn't intend to move north so fast but why waist the fuel when one has the wind!
        It is supposed to rain today and tomorrow so we are staying put until the storm passes.
        Trina wants to check out the Fort too.
        Our next stop will be St. Augustine, we have friends there so it should be a good time
        Then we will follow the sun North from there.
        Paul
        S/V PT26
        1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

"The Devil never comes to you with a pitchfork and a ball of fire"

Comment

• hanleyclifford
          Afourian MVP
          • Mar 2010

PT26 halted in anchorage south of Bridge of Lions, St Augustine.

Comment

• sastanley
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by hanleyclifford View Post
            PT26 halted in anchorage south of Bridge of Lions, St Augustine.
            I've been there (I think)...but unfortunately, not by boat.
            Last edited by sastanley; 02-15-2013, 11:29 PM.
            -Shawn
            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
            sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
              Afourian MVP
              • Mar 2010

St Augustine

A lot of cruisers think St Augustine is a good stop but I usually just go right thru. The anchorage used to be messy, confusing and even dangerous due to derelict boats. I believe the city put in a mooring field so now you must pay to stay. The Bridge of Lions is always an issue to get thru due to restrictions and traffic. Using the city marina can be tricky if you don't watch the swift current. But the stop is worthwhile if only to tour the old fort. There is no useful shopping within walking distance of the city marina. The San Sebastian River is a better choice for shopping and protection.

Comment

• Marian Claire
                Afourian MVP
                • Aug 2007

Yes the entire area north and south of the bridge was closed to anchoring and only mooring allowed when I passed thru in 2011. Most of the derelict boats had been moved south to two anchorages. There is still room for a few cruisers at these anchorages but the best spots are taken and it is always iffy anchoring near unattended or poorly maintained boats. Some cruisers have taken to anchoring north of the bridge that is north of the inlet. Large area of good water but open to south winds. The bridge was back on a "normal" schedule after years of construction. As Hanley states the current can be interesting. Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• PT26
                  • Mar 2012

St.Augustine

We looked at the San Sebastián river for anchoring but there is no room to anchor there anymore. Most of the area is taken up by big and small marinas. One area that looked like it was a good spot at one time there was a marina started but failed. It was this way to the bridge. I was going to drop in one spot I felt had just enough room and was told by a local they would not allow us to stay more than 24 hours then they would run us out.
                  The marinas are 2 dollars plus a foot on the river too
                  Anchoring near the mooring field is clear of all derelicts they have cleaned them all out. I would not recommend anchoring here due to opposing wind and swift current it could make for a bad day!
                  Since we had the wind and freeze coming we opted for the mooring field.
                  The cost is 20 dollars a day includes pump out and water taxi to the dock. The taxi is nice no fighting with the dinghy.
                  Bathrooms and showers are class A nice and clean, washers and dryers 1.50 each, a fair price compared to 6 bucks in the keys! The cruisers lounge is very nice and has WiFi
                  We have found one fresh food market on the East side just over the Bridge of Lions with very fair pricing. Great produce and great meats, big shrimp, 4.99 a pound
                  There is the Sailers exchange here within walking distance, to many items to try to list... If you need one they have it.
                  I paid 75 dollars for the parts I wanted, West Marine was 89.95 for just one of the parts, both were new.
                  Hanley is right if you want any real provisions it is a 3 mile hike to a Publix or Super Walmart. Or a ten dollar taxi ride. If you like History there is plenty here but it is also a major tourist trap!
                  Paul
                  S/V PT26
                  1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

Comment

• PT26
                    • Mar 2012

Oil at the base of head bolts

The weather has turned a bit warmer so we headed up to Cumberland Island.
                    Since I had run for two days I felt it was time to look over the A4 more than the usual check the oil etc...
                    I do this Religiously just to make sure all is well.
                    The two rear head bolts on the water pump side had a small pool of oil at the bottom of the nuts. No oil at the top or on the treads just at the base.
                    I cleaned up the area and have run it to charge up batteries a couple times since but no oil. I also checked the torque and it was on the money.
                    I am headed to St Mary's tomorrow and will check it again after the run, I am just puzzled and never seen this?

For those that may want to know, Cumberland Island is a nice stop.
                    Paul
                    S/V PT26
                    1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Mar 2010

Paul and Trina, IIRC you had your coil mounted on the back of the block near those head studs. Any chance that oil came from the coil when you had that problem?

Comment

• PT26
                        • Mar 2012

Hmmm

Hi Hanley,
                        Maybe, the coil did get hot before I worked out the last issues.
                        On my trip over to Saint Marys I didn't see any residue around the base of the nuts. We ran a few hours so I would think that if it were an issue it would show signs, I am going to keep an eye on it. I will post and take a pic if I see it again.
                        I read in the forum it may be water seeping up the threads from the water area of the block. If I see it happen again I am going to take Dons advice and loosen the nuts pack around them and retorque. It's minor but I would rather catch it early if it is an issue.

For what it's worth Saint Marys has a city dock, free, deep water, power and they are letting us stay until Wednesday after the storm passes. No shopping close by though... Lots of history
                        Paul
                        S/V PT26
                        1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Mar 2010

Paul and Trina, Hope you got a chance to visit Lang's Restaurant: he brings the shrimp in on his own boat. Hanley

Comment

• PT26
                            • Mar 2012

Yes we did, yummy!
                            The last two days we have been stuck in the sailboat...
                            Storm with high winds and tornado warnings
                            We can't wait for this to be over! Getting tossed around like a toy boat in a bathtub, uggg
                            We are in as safe a spot as it gets but it's pretty much wide open here.
                            One wave hit so hard I thought it was a log!
                            Paul
                            S/V PT26
                            1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

Comment

• Mo
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Jun 2007

Originally posted by PT26 View Post
                              The last two days we have been stuck in the sailboat...
                              Storm with high winds and tornado warnings
                              We can't wait for this to be over! Getting tossed around like a toy boat in a bathtub, uggg
                              We are in as safe a spot as it gets but it's pretty much wide open here.
                              One wave hit so hard I thought it was a log!
                              Makes for a long day, that. Hopefully it will pass soon and let you guys get on with it. I find I'm perpetually tired in storms on the water, not matter if on a ball or hook or underway. Just holding up a book to read becomes a chore.... all the best.
                              Mo

"Odyssey"
                              1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                              The optimist expects it to change.
                              The realist adjusts the sails.
                              ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• PT26
                                • Mar 2012

Thanks Mo
                                It should pass by this afternoon... We can't wait!
                                I feel bad for the couple that were beached early this morning off Ponte Vedra
                                They were a drift for the last two days in this mess, then beached sails flapping in the wind boat on its side in the surf.
                                From what we heard they are both going to be ok, lucky I suppose.
                                Paul
                                S/V PT26
                                1971 Grampian G26 W/A4

Comment

Working...
                                X