X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johndowney
    Frequent Contributor
    • Jan 2013

Thanks again to all. To address a couple of points raised...
    I am not sure of the condition of the fuel I removed last year. It went into old fuel cans that a local boatyard worker said he would "polish". (The fuel, not the cans.) I told him to keep it and he just put it into his car tank without any treatment. The car ran fine.
    The hoses were all purchased from West Marine and I can't imagine them selling sub-standard hose, but I'll check that out. Not sure if there is a semi flexible hose from the deck fill to the tank as that is all encased in teak bridge deck. (Bermuda 30 owners will understand this.)
    The diagram of the carb illustrates very well the unlikely worst case scenario of manifold leak managing to enter the float chamber. (Wish I'd thought to look at that before.)
    I like the idea of running from a an auxiliary tank. I don't have one but will look into that.
    Meanwhile I've had a couple of ideas to try.
    1) with the carb off, I'll put a plastic baggy over the manifold inlet port and then gently pressurize the manifold cooling jacket by capping one end and attaching a hose to the other. See if I get any moisture in the bag.
    2) Picture this...the fuel tank is actually shaped like an inverted wedge with the outlet to the pump a simple fitting about an inch up from the bottom of the sharp end. It was from here that I drained the fuel last year. I tried my best to get that last inch or so of fuel out using a vacuum pump but I fear some was left below the level of the fitting. So, I'll drain the fuel again and heel the boat over as far as possible to see if I can get the dregs out. If it's contaminated then I'll need to cut an inspection port in the side of the tank to gain access and clean it up. But I'm still amazed that water and debris can get past three filters.

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

John - My boat is a Bermuda 30 so I know exactly what your fuel tank is like. Mine is monel but has a top fitting for fuel pick up as well as a bottom fitting for draining (no longer kosher in USCG land). I agree that it is unlikely the problem is the tank but you need to test all theories. I'm still betting on a crack in the manifold or possibly a leak via a stud that holds the manifold.

Comment

Working...
      X