• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Administrator
    MMI Webmaster
    • Oct 2004

New Product - Engine Warning and Diagnostic System

Check out this new product introduction for Moyer Marine!

The Engine Warning and Diagnostic System (EWDS), designed by Dutton Engineering, when added to our basic temperature and oil pressure warning kit (KTAS_01_191) provides a visual and audio alert to five different engine performance parameters; oil pressure, coolant temperature, raw water flow, fuel pressure, and coil input voltage. The purpose of the EWDS is to alert the operator to any of these engine systems that is malfunctioning (or about to malfunction) so that remedial action can be taken before the fact of an unexpected shutdown. The EWDS cannot be installed unless our basic temperature and oil pressure warning kit has been installed previously.

The EWDS uses the full function and sensors of the standard Cole-Hersee Alarm system, and (if installed) the Raw Water Flow Sensor (KTAS_01_563). The Raw Water Flow Sensor is optional, but necessary for full designed function of the EWDS.

Sensor trip points for fuel pressure is factory preset at 1 psi or lower, and the coil voltage trip point is preset at just below 9 volts. Oil pressure and coolant temperature trip points are determined by the Cole-Hersee alarm system; 200 degrees and above for the temperature alarm and oil pressure below 6 psi. The raw water flow sensor is set to detect when raw water flow is reduced to a rate just below normal starter RPM (essentially a little more than a trickle).

Click here for more!
    Last edited by Administrator; 02-06-2014, 09:48 AM.
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

Talking out of school a little

It was a distinct pleasure working with Don on this project. This was a little more than two years in development and Don has wanted something like it for much longer.

Our first concept was much more elaborate but the anticipated price quickly ramped up beyond four figures so that was nixxed. After a bit of a layoff we approached the idea from the other end, Spartan all the way keeping price in mind. Well, that one was a little too Spartan so Don added a few more parameters to monitor and this is the result.

Say you're motoring along and the RPM falters. What's wrong? Even the best of us won't know for sure right away but a quick glance at the indicator panel could provide a clue. Maybe the 'Fuel' light is illuminated. You'll know instantly there's insufficient fuel delivery to the engine to provide reliable operation. Or say the buzzer goes off and the 'Flow' light illuminates. You don't have a problem yet but you will in short order, your cooling water flow has stopped.

I'm planning another instrument panel revision in the immediate future and adding the EWDS is one of the reasons why. The more information available, the better.

Thanks for the idea Don and thanks for including me.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• thatch
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2009

Nice work

So, if I read this correctly, if any of the 6 systems has a problem, the Cole-Hersee buzzer will also sound, is this correct?
      Tom

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Originally posted by thatch View Post
        So, if I read this correctly, if any of the 6 systems has a problem, the Cole-Hersee buzzer will also sound, is this correct?
        Tom
        That is correct. No need to have your eyes glued to the panel. Any monitored parameter out of spec will cause the buzzer to sound grabbing your attention. You then check the EWDS panel for an indication of the problem area and of course check the gauges as well.

If the buzzer sounds at least one light is illuminated. Depending on the problem, maybe more. For example, if the oil pressure drops low enough to cause the OPSS to open you'll have buzzer + 'Oil' light and 'Fuel' light. If the OPSS fails on its own you'll have buzzer + 'Fuel' light only. Lights not illuminated indicate those parameters are still within spec, your attention can be directed elsewhere.

BTW, 5 systems.

edit, to clarify a little more:
        The buzzer will not sound without illuminating a light. A light will not illuminate without a buzzer alert.
        Last edited by ndutton; 02-06-2014, 11:35 AM.
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California

Comment

• joe_db
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

I don't see a statement to that effect, but I am about 90% sure that is the case. This is replicating the "master caution" system in aircraft where the light/buzzer gets your attention and then you check the panel to see what the issue is.
          Wish list:
          Find a water sensor useable for gasoline and add a "drain filter" alarm. This exists for Racor diesel filters now.
          Find a vacuum switch set to about 3 inches and add to the fuel filter for a "clogged filter" alarm.

Originally posted by thatch View Post
          Tom
          Joe Della Barba
          Coquina
          C&C 35 MK I
          Maryland USA

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Joe,

You're thinking as we did in the early stages but with every parameter we monitor comes added cost and that cost gets significant quickly.
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California

Comment

• thatch
              Afourian MVP
              • Dec 2009

Oops

Thank's for the clarification on the buzzer. As a side note, I counted the lights and came up with 6, no wonder my checkbook won't ballance.
              Tom

Comment

• joe_db
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

If anyone does find a water sensor, let me know. I totally hate draining the gas just to see what is in it.
                Joe Della Barba
                Coquina
                C&C 35 MK I
                Maryland USA

Comment

• jpian0923
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Sep 2010

Great Job!
                  "Jim"
                  S/V "Ahoi"
                  1967 Islander 29
                  Harbor Island, San Diego
                  2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date

Comment

• lat 64
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Oct 2008

EWDS is rather hard to pronounce. How about DEWDS? Dutton Early Warning and Diagnostic System.

Nice work.
                    sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• yeahjohn
                      • Jun 2012

Amazing product! Many thanks to Don and Neil!

Comment

• thatch
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Dec 2009

Russ, Good call, since I consider myself an "A4 DEWD".
                        Tom

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Mar 2010

Originally posted by lat 64 View Post
                          EWDS is rather hard to pronounce. How about DEWDS? Dutton Early Warning and Diagnostic System.

Nice work.
                          OTOH, we could call it NEWDS - Neil's Early Warning and Diagnostic System. But maybe that would be too California...

Comment

• romantic comedy
                            Afourian MVP
                            • May 2007

Just call it a Dutton?

I got a red light on the Dutton?

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Mar 2010

OK, we jokers have had a little fun but in all seriousness we should recognize that this is a significant upgrade for the A4 fleet. In particular the raw water flow, fuel pressure and coil voltage are important functions heretofore neglected by most in the A4 fleet but on this forum we know how important these functons are. Commendations to Neil for this important move; it could take it's place alongside the original "Dutton Device".

Comment

Working...
                              X