X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • breweraz
    • Apr 2010

water logged A2 update

The problem was a breach in the exhaust manifold wall allowing water into the exhaust chamber. When the motor is running the exhaust was enough to push the water out. When at low RPM or when the motor was shut off the water ran into the exhasut side into the cylinders and would drain down into the carb.

Regarding the water line This was the configuration when I bought the boat and I thought this was the proper configuration.

Since there is no thermostat in the system I assumed it was another way to regulate water flow. The boat is sailed in ME and generally in sub 60 degree water. It is hard to get the motor above 130 degrees without adjusting the water flow by either opening the loop lin or the return line which increases the water temperature.

I am only guessing here.

Tim

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

If you have an internal breach in the manifold, that fairly well trumps the rest of the discussion.

Comment

• tony201
        • Jan 2009

Pressure test the manifold

A very good idea to listen Hanley.
        I've rebuilt five Atomic 4s so far and I do an air pressure test on all the manifolds on the water jacket side . Out of the five there were two that leaked air into the exhaust chamber. not good. Will cause a mucho grief
        good luck

Comment

• hanleyclifford
          Afourian MVP
          • Mar 2010

I am not aware of any way to repair a manifold with an internal compromise. It must be replaced. This is a good time and incentive to switch to antifreeze cooling with the new manifold.

Comment

Working...
          X