X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

Just to repeat suggestion - make sure your BOAT US unlimited towing insurance is in place before leaving the dock.

Comment

• lat 64
      Afourian MVP
      • Oct 2008

I can't add a dang thing to what everyone said. Heed the words. Learn about the boat before you go.

Welcome, stick around,
      Russ
      sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• Sea Haven
        • Jun 2013

The Little engine that CAN!!

I could echo all here, but I'll just share the actual entry from Sea Havens Deck Log during our FIRST day of ownership.
        Logs not only provide fond memories, but are valid learning tools. I learned a lot that day both positive and negative.

I also learned a LOT since from the group of A4 Mariners here.
        I am thoroughly happy with this engine. Not afraid to work on it either. Every time I looked at my previous diesel, I saw paychecks disappear.
        Like anything else, take care of your engine and she'll take care of you.
        Note that AFTER Plum Gut, the remainder of the trip was INTO the wind.

FWIW, on runs greater than a 1/2 hour I lay below every 30 minutes to take temp readings with an IR Gun of both the engine and shaft and take a quick visual to insure all good. I call it the "Engine Watch"

2013-06-15: The Voyage Home

DATA

Voyage type: Passage

Destination: Mount Sinai Harbor Mooring 559

Depart: 0530

Arrive: 1809

Log: 65NM

Engine Hours: 12h51m

Meteorological Conditions: Sunny

Wind Direction: WNW

Wind Speed (KTS): 10-15 G22

Barometer: 29.95

Sea State: Moderate Chop

Sea Direction: East

Crew: EST, EEB, EMB

Passangers:
        None

LOG

0519: Engine On

0530: Underway. Departing South Hampton Town Marina, Shinnecock NY. Homeward Bound!!

0938: Made Plum Gut, Passed Orient Point Light

1750: Made “F” Dock at Mt Sinai Harbor

1800: Underway.

1809: Arrived Mooring MSH559, L 40°57.709’N ? 073°01.634’W

1810: Secured Engine

NOTES

0530: Nasty backing out of slip, current swung us in the opposite direction. Fortunately I was able to continue the swing with enough room to continue on. Learned later that the Atomic-4/Walther V-Drive uses a friction clutch for reverse. Need to maintain pressure in reverse.

0545: Underway in Greater Peconic Bay, wind and waves off port beam as we headed eastward made for a rough ride until we made the lee side of Robin’s Island. Have to admit I was a bit nervous, first time out with her and all. After passing Robins Island and into Little Peconic Bay, the trip became quite enjoyable to Plum Gut. The only concern was navigating the channel north of Shelter Island w/o GPS, lack of NAVAID’s made for sure passage questionable. Would not transit at night without GPS or GOOD DR’s.

0938: Good timing for Plum Gut, just before tide turn for ride into Sound.

0955: Dropped the Time Capsule: L 41°10.592’N ? 072°14.153’W ***Lily Can***

1330: Refueled Underway: 5 Gallons. GPH ~1.5

1350: Contacted USCG Ch16 to report Hazard to Navigation. Large log ~ 12”x 15’ with multiple branches off Mattituck Inlet.

Other:

Engine appeared to smoke, possibly steam, especially at high RPM. Also, minor Exhaust leak in Engine compartment.

Monitored Stuffing box temp, ~ 20°F above ambient. Cylinder heads ~160°F

This was the day after taking possession of MALAMBO, now SEA HAVEN, and our first trip aboard her. I learned a powerful lesson reading taking an unproven vessel (to me) into unknown waters (to me). Thankfully it all went well. I see this as a long and rewarding relationship with SEA HAVEN.
        Last edited by Sea Haven; 12-10-2014, 02:14 PM.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Jan 2007

Build "YOUR" confidence

If it will run at cruise for an hour it should keep going until you shut it down or run out of "good clean regular gasoline". I often run for more than 8 hours and I seldom even look at the gages once the throttle is set at my choice of cruising speed. If the sound of the engine changes I take a look at everything including the gages.

And so figure out how the sails can help if it does stall out, it will certainly ease your mind for an "enjoyable" trip instead of a stressed one.

Good advise in this thread.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Mo
            Afourian MVP
            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
            If it will run at cruise for an hour it should keep going until you shut it down or run out of "good clean regular gasoline". I often run for more than 8 hours and I seldom even look at the gages once the throttle is set at my choice of cruising speed. If the sound of the engine changes I take a look at everything including the gages.

And so figure out how the sails can help if it does stall out, it will certainly ease your mind for an "enjoyable" trip instead of a stressed one.

Good advise in this thread.

Dave Neptune
            Agree with all the above statements from number 1 down. I'd like to give three area's to pay particular attention to.
            -fuel supply: ask the previous owner how much he used the engine. An engine used generally has decent fuel and fuel system. An engine that sits is more problematic as crud develops in the tank and makes it's way through filtering into the carb and plugging passages.
            -If the engine has electronic ignition a coil WITH an added external ballast resistor is a good idea. If the engine has points and condensor don't worry about it.
            -Every couple of hours shut down and check the oil and turn the grease cap on the water pump...as for the oil...it is not uncommon for these engines to use oil and having to add oil is not necessarily indicative of a bad engine. I use 15W40 diesel oil and consumption is minimal...something you might want to consider once you get familiar with your engine....ensure to take oil with you.

I'm sure you will do fine...I'd jump on mine and run for 100 hours without batting an eye.
            Last edited by Mo; 12-10-2014, 03:27 PM.
            Mo

"Odyssey"
            1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
            The optimist expects it to change.
            The realist adjusts the sails.
            ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• zellerj
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2005

Advice from Captain Ron, but he got lucky

We don't know if it's safe.

- We'll find out on the ocean.

Anything's gonna happen,

it's gonna happen out there.
              Jim Zeller
              1982 Catalina 30
              Kelleys Island, Ohio

Comment

• romantic comedy
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2007

Jim, I see you went to the Capt Ron sailing school too.

Comment

• dtodd55
                  • Dec 2014

Wow! Thanks so much for all of this helpful information, this will be invaluable as I gear up for the spring. Good news is that the previous owner was very meticulous so I suspect it's in good shape. At the very least I will be replacing the basic stuff. Thanks again and I look forward to reviewing the wealth of knowledge in the forum.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                    • Nov 2008

See FAQs general information #6.
                    I didn't supply a link because I want the new member\new owner to become familiar with the FAQs.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• positron
                      • Sep 2011

I have a 1976 P30 with a standard 12" 2 blade prop. The engine and I have arrived at an agreement- I don't ask her to drive over 5.5 knots, she doesn't ask me to rebuild her. We can go 5.2-5.5 knots very comfortably all day long. We have been up to about 6.2 knots, but the engine makes complainy noises. I motor sail a lot- unfurl the jib for a couple more knots and ease off the RPMs a little.

You can expect to burn about 3/4 to 1 gallon per hour. For your first long trip, it is a good idea to bring along a 3 gallon gas can, since I discovered the hard way that the gas pickup tube in the gas tank had been cut off about 4" above the bottom, probably in attempt to not suck grunge off the bottom. I religiously add MMF and Stabil to the gas, and I also empty the gas tank every winter.

There are 3 systems that you could go through this winter:
                      - fuel lines: change out all of the rubber fuel lines for new EtOH-tolerant rubber. Also install a polishing filter between the fuel pump and carb.
                      - water pump- replace the impeller.
                      - distributor cap and innards (points, rotor, etc.)

Comment

Working...
                      X