• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • domagami
    • Feb 2006

A Way To Avoid Stuck Head Bolts?

Hi;

Not really preventative maintenance, but more alleviating some inevitable pain.

At some point I will need to replace the head gasket. No problems now, but I'm sure that with enough time, it will be needed. Like everyone, I'd like to avoid the problems of having to drill out even a single bolt.

Is there anything that can be done ahead of time to make this easier later?

I was thinking that some PB Blaster around the bolt heads as part of annual maintenance might be a good idea, but I seem to remember reading somewhere here that when/if this reaches the gasket on a working engine it can degrade it. True?

If so, is there some other way to alleviate the stickyness of the head bolts?

Like I said, I don't need to remove this now, just looking for ways to make it easier later.

Thanks,

MD
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

I try to keep some paint on all the head studs. When installing the head I lightly oil the threads but after several retorques put a dab of engine paint on each nut and stud. On an existing set up just wire brush the studs, wipe with acetone and paint immediately.

Comment

• Seabee Chief
      • Jun 2010

Hanley, that sounds like a plan!
      I know this weekend when I change my thermostat I plan on using never- sieze on the bolts when I replace them. I should have done that when I replaced the Head Gasket.

Chief

Comment

• tenders
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

Nevr-Seize certainly has its appeal, but I think The Oracle has said that the torque specs for these parts did not include the effects of such lubricants.

Does Don use it on his rebuilds?

Comment

• Dave Neptune
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Jan 2007

No problem

Cover the threads with anti-sieze and seal the studs and washers with aviation grade permatex. Use the Av grade on the gaskets around the holes, or on both the gaskets.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Ironworker
            • Sep 2010

The overhaul manual says to use a thread locker on the studs in the block, that coincides with what 2 mechanic buddies of mine said to do as well. May be OK on the nuts but that is not a place that you want a nut vibrating loose at any time. I think the paint is a good way to go and I plan on putting a little more on each winter at lay-up time.

Just my .02

Comment

Working...
            X