X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tedjacksonphoto
    • Oct 2023

Oil leak from the oil pressure sending unit

I noticed a significant oil leak dripping and traced it back to the oil pressure sending unit. It's the old style that attaches to the engine block using a (2 inch?) nipple.
    I'm assuming I just need to remove the nipple (counterclockwise) and either replace it or use teflon tape to seal the threads and reinstall it. My concern is the possibility of breaking off the nipple in the block.
    Should I be concerned? Any advice is appreciated.
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

First welcome to the MMI Forum.

The nipple should be no issue removing as it is in an oil galley, so it should be in good shape unless it is cracked. Just be sure you twist axially and don't bend it. Plumbing in a water jacket most always will require extra care in removing due to corrosion.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

Ted, welcome. Dave is spot on. The threads are likely already 'lubed up' since they are just holding back oil. Just be careful and replace with same..Do you have any other parts attached? Sometimes, people attach lots of accessories/switches on those nipples and they crack/leak from vibration with the weight. If it was my boat, I would use Permatex or something similar on the threads..like the dark smelly #2 in a tube or #3 in a jar.
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• Al Schober
        Afourian MVP
        • Jul 2009

That nipple supporting the oil pressure sender was a concern to me too. Most installations are hard mounted, so vibration is not too much of a concern, yet...
        My concern was compounded by my desire to add a Oil Pressure Safety Switch (for an electric fuel pump) and a mechanical pressure gauge.
        My solution (not original) was to move all three devices to a bulkhead mounded manifold connected to the engine by a length of grease gun hose. The grease gun hose has 1/8 NPT male on both ends, I think I used 18", Home Depot less than $20. Worked fine!
        Keep in mind the manifold has to be grounded to the engine for the electrical pressure sender to work.

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

Al, I did exactly the same for the remote oil filter & also moved the oil pressure sender up there too...so I only have hoses connected to those areas in the block now. (well, the new owner!)
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X