X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 68PearsonRenegade
    • Apr 2022

New to me boat, Old salts chime in. What do I need to be checking

I've been working on this boat for about a month now, I'm sure you can guess what kind of boat it is . I'm in the process of getting several books to help me go through the boat with a fine toothed comb. My question for the old salts in the meantime is what should I be prioritizing(engine aside, i am doing a repower). What systems/ parts of the boat should I be taking a real long inspection of? the seacocks are an obvious one but I know you wise sages can enlighten me on something I have not thought of.
    Thanks for the help
    68 Pearson Renegade- undergoing refit, soon to be sailing the rocky coasts of Maine.
    -Schooner Crew-
    Yachties wear gloves, Schooner crew grow their own ;)
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

I suggest this may be a case where a professional survey would be money well spent. You'd have knowledgeable eyes on the boat and a shopping list of recommendations to run with.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• 68PearsonRenegade
      • Apr 2022

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
      I suggest this may be a case where a professional survey would be money well spent. You'd have knowledgeable eyes on the boat and a shopping list of recommendations to run with.
      Not a bad idea. Unfortunetly it's not in the budget. I'm also a firm beleiver in being able to inspect and work on your boat yourself. I very much have the diehard DIY new England attitude. It may cause me headaches at first and I may be chasing gremlins for a while but eventually I will be a master of the boat, and in part many other boats. Besides bernard moitessier did not get a survey, he buckled down and did his own survey and work. At sea this gave him the skills to fix anything during passages. I beleive this is the difference between the true sailor and the weekend hobbyist. For now though, I'm in the slow going phase of rooting out and dealing with the various issues. A boats never finished as they say
      68 Pearson Renegade- undergoing refit, soon to be sailing the rocky coasts of Maine.
      -Schooner Crew-
      Yachties wear gloves, Schooner crew grow their own ;)

Comment

• Neuse River Sailor
        • Aug 2017

Standing rigging. Stays and shrouds, chainplates, tangs. Spreaders. Keeping the mast up is one of the three vital tasks.

Keep the mast up, the keel down, and the water out.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Jan 2007

Keel bolts if so equipped, rudder bearings, rudder post, strut and bearing as well as any thru hulls.
          Look for dry rot around all bulkheads and deck fittings including the anchor stuff.

RE a survey, the money could be well spent as usually the yard doing the haul out will offer up a bottom painting and not charge for the haul out. And the surveyor will offer up a wealth of information that does not go in the report if you follow him or her around and not arguing about findings, consider it a good learning experience.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Originally posted by 68PearsonRenegade View Post
            Not a bad idea. Unfortunetly it's not in the budget. I'm also a firm beleiver in being able to inspect and work on your boat yourself. I very much have the diehard DIY new England attitude. It may cause me headaches at first and I may be chasing gremlins for a while but eventually I will be a master of the boat, and in part many other boats. Besides bernard moitessier did not get a survey, he buckled down and did his own survey and work. At sea this gave him the skills to fix anything during passages. I beleive this is the difference between the true sailor and the weekend hobbyist. For now though, I'm in the slow going phase of rooting out and dealing with the various issues. A boats never finished as they say
            A survey isn't about learning or not learning to work on boats, it is about a professional who has examined a thousand boats telling you what you'll need to be doing by spotting problems that may not be obvious at all. If you have the time and finances to fix anything that goes wrong, you can skip it and just learn as you along fixing whatever you find, but you run the risk of non-obvious problems causing dangerous outcomes.
            I personally don't have the finances for things like "Surprise! $26,000 deck recore job for you!"
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

Working...
            X