X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Peter
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2016

It is interesting that different folks have different experiences with ethanol gas.

Neil is in SoCal while Joe is in Maryland. I think Dr. Neptune was in a southern climate with his A4?

Could it be that the southern boats are used more consistently year round than the northern boats which I suspect get less use in winter?

Also boats in northern areas spend more time lightly used during periods where there are large temp swings between day and night, leading to more opportunities for gas to absorb water?

Just speculating but it would be interesting to see if there is a correlation between boat location (north versus south) and ethanol gas issues.

Peter

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

The gas I buy in December is probably still being used in March and April, so that might be part of it.
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• capnward
        Afourian MVP
        • Aug 2012

For years now I have been filling up at the end of the season, because I read somewhere that the less air in the tank, the less water condenses into the fuel. This means that I usually have a tank full of 6-month-old gas to start the season. This has not been a problem, but I've noticed that once I have used up the old gas the engine runs a little better. Once I start using the engine, I usually go through a tankful in a month or two.
        Here in the northwest, big temperature swings do happen but not often. Usually, we have highs in the low 40's and lows in the low 30's. However, we did get some days this winter with lows under 20. The highs were not much different. Summer days can have bigger temperature swings.
        I always understood that corrosion needs the presence of water, even if it's just in the air, and that oil will at least cut down on the corrosion. That is why, IMO, the combination of non-ethanol fuel combined with some kind of oil like MMO is best for the engine. MMO is even more important if you run ethanol. I also believe that water is corrosive for the rubber diaphragm in the pump, the rubber tip of the float valve needle, and the fuel hoses. Luckily for me the only gas at my marina is ethanol free.

Comment

Working...
        X