X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nichollsken@msn.com
    • Jan 2008

Reversing Gear

My reversing gear constantly goes out of adjustment. I adjust the gear so reverse works OK and then 2 or 3 runs later it is slipping again. The locking spring is in place, but it does not seem to prevent the gear from going out of adjustment. I would appreciate any suggestions on the cause of the problem or how to better keep the gear from slipping. Thanks. Ken
  • Jim Booth
    • Jan 2005

I'm not clear on what you are adjusting, or what locking spring or pin you are talking about. There is no mechanical locking mechanism in reverse so you need to hold pressure on the shift control lever to stay powered in reverse.

Jim

Comment

• nichollsken@msn.com
      • Jan 2008

Jim,

In the gear box there is a 3/4" bolt you turn to adjust the reverse. A spring wraps around the bolt to hold it in place and keep it from slipping to where the reverse pads no longer engage. This spring appears to no longer hold the bolt in place, but rather to let it slip until reverse vanished after just a few trips.

Ken

Comment

• Jim Booth
        • Jan 2005

Seems strange that would loosen unless the spring is broken. If it isn't, could you paint a dab on one of the flats to determine if it actually is turning on its own?

Jim

Comment

• Jim Booth
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by nichollsken@msn.com View Post
          Jim,
          This spring appears to no longer hold the bolt in place, but rather to let it slip until reverse vanished after just a few trips.

Ken
          Ken,

I just had another thought. Is it possible your shift control is actually wearing out? My Columbia 8.7 has a Morse control that uses a cast aluminum clamp to hold the lever to the mechanism that pushes and pulls the cable. It had cracked and been repaired before, and the flats that are supposed to keep it in place were worn almost round. So when pushing the lever into reverse, it would slip and eventually the lever would hit the cockpit floor before reverse would work. That's not good! It was fairly clear what was happening though, so this probably isn't the problem you have. Anyway, just thought I'd offer the suggestion.

Jim

Comment

Working...
          X