X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gottfried
    • Sep 2006

A4 hard to start, then runs reliably

I replaced the manifold gasket [and carb] last year and the A4 runs reliably and restarts easily while sailing.

But it takes several minutes of cranking to start after having been shut down for 2 weeks. Hand priming doesn't help [I did check it last year and saw a stream of fuel then].

Now I'm unsure whether to rebuild the mechanical pump or to install an electrical pump.

If I install an electrical pump, can the old mechanical pump stay in place? How is the electrical pump wired?

Meanwhile I plan to use starter fluid. Do I just spray that into the flame arrester?

Thank you for any help!

Gottfried
  • Bill Bickley

#2 Unapproved
    Once it finally does start, does it run OK?

You might check to ensure that the choke is totally closed when you start the engine. That could be the number one cause of hard starts.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Comment

• gottfried
      • Sep 2006

Bill, thanks for your quick reply.
      I had checked the choke last year after replacing the manifold gasket, but I'll check it again to make sure the cable hasn't slipped. There is no gas smell at all when attempting cold start.

Yes, the engine runs reliably once it starts. Vacuum is rock steady at 15 when idling and 10 in forward gear. It also restarts easily when sailing.

The fuel pump has never been serviced in the 12 years I've had the boat [Cal 2-27] and that's why I think it may not prime any more.

Comment

• Capt.Terry
        • Oct 2006

gasket carb to manifold

Was reading you post, I am having some problems with my A4 mine did not have a gasket between the carb and manifold??? Terry

Comment

• Bill Bickley

#5 Unapproved
          Don't know what difference it makes, but there IS such a thing (click here).

Bill

Comment

• skhorleb
            • Sep 2006

choke cable

I had the same symptom--hard to start after sitting for a few days--and was fed up spraying starter fluid in the spark arrester. I adjusted the choke cable so it would close the whole way. That fixed it.
            Steve Horlebein

Comment

• gottfried
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by skhorleb View Post
              I had the same symptom--hard to start after sitting for a few days--and was fed up spraying starter fluid in the spark arrester. I adjusted the choke cable so it would close the whole way. That fixed it.
              Steve, thanks. I'll definitely check the choke cable adjustment before doing anything else. Since my boat is about 1 hour away I'll schedule this in the next few days.

Comment

• Don Moyer
                • Oct 2004

Without a gasket between the carburetor and manifold flanges, you can expect a strong likelihood of a vacuum leak.

Don

Comment

• gottfried
                  • Sep 2006

choke does close all the way

Originally posted by gottfried View Post
                  Steve, thanks. I'll definitely check the choke cable adjustment before doing anything else. Since my boat is about 1 hour away I'll schedule this in the next few days.
                  I checked and the choke does close ok. Used starter fluid yesterday and the A4 started better, then ran ok for several hours [little wind and strong adverse currents on SF bay].

Will now explore whether to rebuild fuel pump [never serviced in 12 years] or install an electric fuel pump. I'd like to know how to install an electric pump [wiring, plugging the hole left by removal of mechanical pump] before deciding.

Comment

Working...
                  X