X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gtwiggpharmd
    • Oct 2013

Question about coils/spark plugs

I want to apologize if this question has been asked before in a previous thread. I learned a lot searching past discussions. I will also apologize as I am not very well versed yet in the A4 engine.

My boat has not been started in 18 months. Last year my wife and I had our second daughter right in the middle of the season and consequently the sailing hobby suffered. Now I have been going through the troubleshooting guide for engines that have been neglected.

The engine has plenty of compression. I know I have a fuel supply issue. The old fuel has been drained and ethanol free gas has been added fresh. New fuel filter and I have been able to get gas to the carb, however, that is pretty clogged with a gel like substance. So I have a buddy who is much better versed in this than me helping me to rebuild the carb this weekend.

My next question is one of the folks at the marina who is a small engine mechanic (although he admitted he had never heard of the A4) mentioned that when we pulled a plug and looked for a spark the spark coming off the plugs was faint and not as bright as he would expect. We replaced the plugs and wires with ones I got off this website. The spark was stronger but still had to look closely to see it. He did not know if that was normal for the A4 or if it could be another problem. Could this be the coil going bad or do I have another set of diagnostic test I need to do to trouble shoot this issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • JOHN COOKSON
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Nov 2008

Are you running points or an EI?

(1) Take a voltage reading at coil +. Let's be sure you are getting enough voltage to the coil to fire the plugs smartly.
    (2) Pull the center wire out of the distributor cap and hold it near the engine while you turn the engine with the starter. A 3/4" to 1" blue-white spark is good.

Report back what you find in (1) and (2) and let us know if you have points or an EI.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Hymodyne
      • Feb 2013

I live in Salisbury, and keep our A4 powered Pearson Triton in Bivalve. I can try to help if you like. PM me if you are interested.

James

Comment

• capnward
        Afourian MVP
        • Aug 2012

When I changed from points to EI, I immediately noticed a stronger spark. You shouldn't have to look closely to see it. It could be a bad coil, but more likely it is a bad connection, worn distributor cap and rotor, a bad condenser, or points not adjusted right. Once you have a good spark, a clean carburetor, the timing is set properly, and the choke closes completely, you should be good to go. I used to get gel in my carb and in the Racor filter until I switched to non-ethanol fuel. Also, you might add another in-line fuel filter, if you only have the large water separator filter.. A fuel pressure gauge will tell you of an obstruction in the line or filters. You will become adept at removing, disassembling, cleaning, and reinstalling the carburetor. Have a supply of gaskets.Take particular care to run a thin wire through the idle jet, and the small idle ports in the carb throat. The idle screw should be 1 turn out from it's seat.
        Follow this forum and Moyer's information, and keep learning about your engine, and soon you will be taking your little daughter sailing. Yay!

Comment

• Hymodyne
          • Feb 2013

+1 to Capnward's suggestions. I went down to the marina today and saw your boat, Nice! you haven't indicated of you have an early or late model engine, but I have a spare distributor for a late model and points, condenser and cap for an early model, which I don't need.

James

Comment

• gtwiggpharmd
            • Oct 2013

Thanks James...It is a late model. Once I get the carburetor back I will give you a call and we can look at it together.

Comment

• Hymodyne
              • Feb 2013

sounds Good.

Comment

Working...
              X