X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rbyham
    • Jan 2013

Fuel gauge install

I installed a new Moeller 13 gallon tank a year ago. Never got around to adding a gauge. I can open a lazarette and see line on side of tank if I need to check for gas. I am thinking it is time to install a real gauge. Electrical being my weakest knowledge area can others here guide me in terms of type of gauge and installation? Will any marine gauge work and is there anything tricky about wiring? The tank came complete with sending unit.
  • edwardc
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2009

The gauge must be matched to the sending unit.

For example if you have the Moeller Marine Electric Universal Fuel Tank Sending Unit, it has a resistance range of 32 to 240 Ohms. This would be a good match for this Moeller Marine Electric Dash Mounted Fuel Gauge, which works with a sensor that has a range of 33 - 240 Ohms.
    Last edited by edwardc; 12-19-2014, 09:49 AM. Reason: Add links
    @(^.^)@ Ed
    1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
    with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• TomG
      Afourian MVP Emeritus
      • Nov 2010

I did this task this past summer and here is what I found out. Almost all of the marine gauges bought in the USA will work fine with the tanks sold in the USA. There are like three "standards", one is a USA standard that works as Ed mentioned from 32 to 240 Ω, there is a European standard and a Yamaha specific standard that work on different resistances. Wiring a fuel gauge is very straightforward.

Tom
      "Patina"
      1977 Tartan 30
      Repowered with MMI A-4 2008

Comment

• Rbyham
        • Jan 2013

Thanks guys... Just what I was looking for

Comment

• romantic comedy
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2007

Also, remember that most tanks are not a regular shape, so the gauge will not be correct. It will only tell the height of the fuel, and not the amount remaining.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
            • Nov 2008

Originally posted by romantic comedy View Post
            Also, remember that most tanks are not a regular shape, so the gauge will not be correct. It will only tell the height of the fuel, and not the amount remaining.
            Also consider the dead space in the area that the pickup tube is in.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• mrskemp
              • Apr 2015

Adding a fuel gauge?

I know this post is 6 months old, but I am curious if anyone has added a fuel level sending unit to a stainless steel tank. I am worried about how to cut into a tank that already has had gas in it. Any suggestions so I don't blow myself up from the spark of a hole saw igniting fumes?

Thanks.

Comment

• The Garbone
                • Dec 2013

I would pull the tank, drain it and fill it with water. It is how I had a broken tab welded back on my motorcycle tank. Good chance to clean the crud out of the bottom of the tank.
                Gary
                78' Catalina 30 #1179
                www.svknotaclew.wordpress.com

Comment

• BunnyPlanet169
                  Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                  • May 2010

Originally posted by mrskemp View Post
                  I know this post is 6 months old, but I am curious if anyone has added a fuel level sending unit to a stainless steel tank. I am worried about how to cut into a tank that already has had gas in it. Any suggestions so I don't blow myself up from the spark of a hole saw igniting fumes?

Thanks.
                  Don't. Just don't. This is a Darwin Award waiting to happen.

I use a stick for fuel level....
                  Jeff

sigpic
                  S/V Bunny Planet
                  1971 Bristol 29 #169

Comment

• TomG
                    Afourian MVP Emeritus
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mrskemp View Post

Thanks.
                    If you have an access panel (many tanks do), you could remove it and mount the sender there. I would never drill into a gasoline tank in the boat that had any gas vapor in it.
                    Tom
                    "Patina"
                    1977 Tartan 30
                    Repowered with MMI A-4 2008

Comment

• romantic comedy
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2007

Leave it in place and fill with water. Drill away. Might be tricky getting the shavings out.

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Dec 2008

Old school mechanics would run the exhaust pipe into the tank opening - filling the tank with exhaust gas would prevent ignition of fuel vapor.

But I wouldn't recommend it - as Bunny said; "it's a Darwin award waiting to happen".

Comment

• keithems
                          • Feb 2008

fuel gauge wiring diagram needed

Originally posted by TomG View Post
                          I did this task this past summer and here is what I found out. Almost all of the marine gauges bought in the USA will work fine with the tanks sold in the USA. There are like three "standards", one is a USA standard that works as Ed mentioned from 32 to 240 Ω, there is a European standard and a Yamaha specific standard that work on different resistances. Wiring a fuel gauge is very straightforward.

any diagram that shows all connections from fuel tank [sender, grounds, etc] to the gauge on the panel would be helpful.

i had problems with the panel last summer and in fooling with it i lost all gauge readings. now have gotten oil pressure and temp back; but fuel is pegged at full. i don't care much about the ammeter...may be inop and likely i'll replace it with a voltmeter. usually just using a-4 to get in and out of harbor....so no real need to see electrical loads...but obviously i care -- a lot--about oil press, temp, and FUEL.

i have a c&c 30 with the 4 instrument cockpit gauge panel
                          keithems
                          [1976 c&c 30 mk 1]

Comment

• jcwright
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Jul 2012

Hello.

If you are referring to a Moeller gauge and sensor (as mentioned earlier in this old thread by Ed), here is an example of installation instructions:

YOUR MOELLER PROMISE: Every piece has been pre-inspected to guarantee full range of calibrated readings and designed for gasoline applications. You can also use diesel if a separate return line is ...

Hope this is relevant to your question.

Jack.

Comment

• keithems
                              • Feb 2008

thank you

i'll try it

pretty complicated

i've had this boat since 2007 and never had a problems or had to give it a 2nd thought

so i really, just need to know if the wires which are already there and connected [confirmed tonite] are in the proper places.

i think so, so tomorrow i'll pull the float and sender....maybe they have to be replaced.

i don't know what brand etc. -- probably the original that c & c yachts installed when this boat was built in 1976.
                              keithems
                              [1976 c&c 30 mk 1]

Comment

Working...
                              X