X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SvenTheGoose
    • Apr 2022

Can't get distributor body to rotate on a late model Delco

I have an Atomic 4 that I have never seen run...

When I started working on her the ignition system wiring had all melted from the starter switch all the way to the connection on under the distributor cap that connects the wire from the coil to the wire on the condenser. I replaced all of the wire with larger guage wire and added a fuse per the wiring diagram found in this thread:

I also replace the coil, went to electronic ignition and replaced the plug wires. I now need to redo the timing, correct? The engine does not start. It got close today but would not run. I do have a good spark from the coil and a spark at plug #1 but I am not sure what a good spark looks like vs just seeing a spark.

In trying to redo the timing I could not get the distributor body to turn. I had loosed the hold down to the point that it very easily could be moved by hand but had zero motion when I tried to rotate the body of the distributor. Any recommendations for get the distributor body to move? I have not tried anything more than a little prying with a screwdriver and my hand. I have a bad habit of jumping to bigger levers which tends to break things.

Thanks for any ideas on what to try.
  • edwardc
    Afourian MVP
    • Aug 2009

Your instincts are right. More force is not the answer.

The late model's distributor is held down by a "U" shaped bracket that clamps onto a small flange on the distributor body where it enters the block. After loosening the hold-down screw, be sure the bracket is free. Then soak the area in a penetrating oil such as PBBlaster or Kroil. If you can't find either, a homemade brew of 50-50 acetone and ATF will also work. This may need to soak for several days. Patience. It will work.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
    @(^.^)@ Ed
    1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
    with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• Surcouf
      Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
      • May 2018

yes, be patient and let it soak (with some light "tap tap" on the distributor to help your fluid go down the hole.

I have been in the very rare situation when things go wrong trying to remove the distributor. The distributor "finger" broke in the accessory case. But mine was very corroded, and visually very damaged at the junction between the two. Try to avoid getting there.

Surcouf
      A nostalgic PO - Previously "Almost There" - Catalina 27 (1979)

Comment

• SvenTheGoose
        • Apr 2022

Thanks!
        Put some PB blaster on Monday night but couldn't get back out to the boat until today. The distributor still would not turn by hand so a little more PB Blaster and a small strap wrench evenly spaced around the body and it moved with ease. Now it is moving by hand and I could set timing.

Comment

Working...
        X