X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hymodyne
    • Feb 2013

Cape dory 22: A4 powered.

I paddled our Cape Dory into its slip at Nanticoke Harbor at last this past Sunday, hoping to get in some end of the season sailing. I put a freshwater A4 in the boat this past winter and was finally able to motor out of our slip, turn around, and tie off bow first.

I have found the waxy material from the packing coming out a little through the front of the bronze housing. no water, so I plan to loosen up the nut and adjust until I reach a proper drip rate.

Temps remained around 160 through about 1/4 hour of running.

Will report more when other test trips are complete.

James
    Last edited by Hymodyne; 09-11-2014, 06:58 PM.
  • 67c&ccorv
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2008

Nanticoke, ON Canada???

Comment

• Rod Worrell
      • Oct 2004

Prop Shaft Location

Interesting arrangement for prop shaft and folding prop. From angle of picture, looks like prop and rudder almost share the same space.

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

Hymodyne, Look forward to more details!

Looks like the prop exits to the port side, similar to lots of Sabre's, but I agree with Rod..not too much clearance. Hope you have pics for us to dissect everything!

Do you happen to have an infrared temp gun? I've found mine really helpful for things you speak of like the stuffing box temp. Pretty cheap at Harbor Freight.
        Last edited by sastanley; 09-11-2014, 11:31 PM.
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• Hymodyne
          • Feb 2013

Took the wife out for our first sail of the late season today. Motored from the slip to beyond the jetties with no problems. Stuffing box was warm to the touch, but not hot at all after about ten minutes of running ( I have an infrared gun, I have to remember to bring it with me tomorrow.) Still no drip from the box, which combined with the low heat, makes me hope at least that I am in the ball park; not burning up the packing, but not leaking excessively either.

I have to install a work light under the cockpit floor. Having a free hand to adjust the stuffing box, and open and close the thru hull would make life much simpler.

James

Comment

• Mo
            Afourian MVP
            • Jun 2007

Good to hear you are using the boat. Not much of an expert on stuffing boxes and whether they drip or not depends allot on what you used as packing material. I have mine no drip when not turning but a drip when the shaft is rotating...a fine line. Teflon material, warm as well.
            Mo

"Odyssey"
            1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
            The optimist expects it to change.
            The realist adjusts the sails.
            ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Rbyham
              • Jan 2013

Not trying to hijack but this thread had me checking stuffing box today. Could this be orig 1966? I keep grease cap full and turned every 10 hours. I notice a little dampness on collar just forward of the box. Looks like it may be spraying up side of water if too... But it is just damp at this point. Next scheduled hauling is fall 2015...
              Attached Files

Comment

• Mo
                Afourian MVP
                • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Rbyham View Post
                Not trying to hijack but this thread had me checking stuffing box today. Could this be orig 1966? I keep grease cap full and turned every 10 hours. I notice a little dampness on collar just forward of the box. Looks like it may be spraying up side of water if too... But it is just damp at this point. Next scheduled hauling is fall 2015...
                Not a bad set up but you should give the outer a shot of "fluid film". I see the anode there...that is to prevent the shaft from going out the stern of the boat if it lets go from the engine. Grease cap might be original and lots of people pull stuffing boxes apart and put grease in them...

FWIW, lubricate it well and part of spring maintenance should be to remove the bolts in the anode, crack the nut on the stuffing box (use two wrenches) and lubricate the threads. Stuffing boxes are a walk in the park when maintained...when not I've had to take an acetylene torch to them and was not too impressed....but she wasn't hard to look at.
                Mo

"Odyssey"
                1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                The optimist expects it to change.
                The realist adjusts the sails.
                ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

Working...
                X